v14 Are there any Kodi official builds
I am new to Kodi and am really impressed. I downloaded a build (Nemesis) but have recently found out that the content may not be legal. I primarily want to use Kodi to access my own files on NAS (movies/ pictures/ music) but am happy to make use of any legal and family orientated add-ons

Is there a family build out there which ensures that all add-ons are official Kodi add-ons and pukka?
Yes, ofcource.
Check out the download page on kodi.tv ;-)
Kodi official builds (like the one downloadable via the link at the top of the page, the one @Atreyu mentioned) don't come with any media sources pre-installed. If you see any builds which do, they are more than likely the piracy ones like you mentioned (and that we do not condone or support here).

Indeed supplying a build with such junk pre-installed is actually a violation of the foundation's Official:Trademark Policy (wiki). The official repo, which is included in our builds, is the source for reputable and approved add-ons. Just install what you want or need from there. Also look in the add-ons section here, where you will find other add-ons which are acceptable (although not all are in the official repo, but their threads usually contain install instructions in their first posts).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
thanks Darren,

I guess the only gd thing about the builds is that for a novice like me then all the add-ons are automatically installed and the set up works really nicely even for a novice. I will uninstall my build now I know it is not endorsed.

However, I have no idea how to go about adding on one official add-on at a time or what they all really do. I think this is difficult for a novice - when I first installed Kodi I tried a little bit but everything quickly looked really messy. is there any official youtube training available and/or a guide to approved add-ons and what they actually do in plain English?
Yes and no, as the add-ons they tend to install are the very worst ones for stability, usability and indeed long-term comfort as when they do inevitably go tits-up when their sources get found and removed, people come here and their naïve requests get binned. Plus many are horrified when they find out exactly what they are opening themselves up to from a security viewpoint

On that point I'd recommend to see Martijn's blog post on the subject, with the note that for such pre-installing builds you don't even get the choice of what goes in, aside from choosing the build itself, and with pre-configured devices not even that. Also Nate's blog on the more general topic.

There's no official YouTube, but all the details you need are on the wiki. See the notes for the first time user (wiki) to begin with, and take it from there. With a little more information (for example what device you're actually using, as you haven't mentioned it) we can help out here too.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
thanks again,

I am using an Amazon FIre TV with Helix sideloaded

To start with, Whats the best way to get rid of the build?
In that case the wiki notes on the Fire TV (wiki) should be a second port of call, and the pages from it.

If just doing an add-on uninstall doesn't work, then if you have access to the file system via a suitable file manager, just go in with Kodi not running and delete your .kodi folder (it's one level up from your userdata folder (wiki) - follow that link for a table showing where it can be found). Note that the .kodi folder is a hidden folder, you may need to enable hidden file/folder viewing to see it.

When you restart Kodi you should find it completely reset to a first time use status with nothing installed. Note this will remove everything and reset Kodi back to a fresh vanilla install.

Alternatively you can just delete selected folders from the addons folder (you can find that in the .kodi folder at the same level as the userdata one, each add-on will have its own sub-folder within it) and also the corresponding sub-folder in the addon_data folder you can find within userdata. That should just remove the selected add-ons, but it a little more tricky to do.

Lastly you may want to consider just uninstalling Helix and side-loading Jarvis (or Isengard) unless there's a specific reason to stay on the older version. Details of doing that are in the link at the start of this post (or directly - HOW-TO:Install Kodi on Fire TV (wiki)).

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks - I will have a go with all of that
I'm also going to move this thread to the Android section, as it's now onto support discussions rather than general discussions about Kodi itself.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are there any Kodi official builds0