• 6(current)
v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
(2016-06-10, 17:02)DaveBlake Wrote: The compilation "Armageddon: The Album" has a track with
artist = "Journey feat. Steve Auger"
It should also have
Musicbrainz artist id = abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b; 24e6290c-8e4d-469f-9f89-0527118ef659
the values for Journey and Steve in order.

Just to point out that the Musicbrainz database is wrong here as Steve's name is actually Augeri !! www.steveaugeri.com

Steve is listed correctly on Musicbrainz and his MBID is af30ff69-6232-41c8-b3f8-73e20165625d - It is just that one track that is incorrectly identified.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-06-11, 12:14)black_eagle Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 17:02)DaveBlake Wrote: The compilation "Armageddon: The Album" has a track with
artist = "Journey feat. Steve Auger"
It should also have
Musicbrainz artist id = abd506e1-6f2b-4d6f-b937-92c267f6f88b; 24e6290c-8e4d-469f-9f89-0527118ef659
the values for Journey and Steve in order.

Just to point out that the Musicbrainz database is wrong here as Steve's name is actually Augeri !! www.steveaugeri.com

Steve is listed correctly on Musicbrainz and his MBID is af30ff69-6232-41c8-b3f8-73e20165625d - It is just that one track that is incorrectly identified.

Troy would have that album in his collectionRolleyes

I wonder if the MB entry has been edited recently? That could explain how Troy has the mbid in the wrong order, yet Picard now returns it the in the correct one. Not withstanding that it is a mythical artist!

So yes there are mistakes in the MB database. It is based on collective knowledge, so the only thing to do when such an error is found is correct it on behalf of the MB using community. By using mbids, the contribution Kodi can make is to widen that MB community - more people looking at the results of tagging with Picard (or any other Musicbrainz enabled tool) and able to feedback corrections to Musicbrainz.
(2016-06-11, 12:58)DaveBlake Wrote: Troy would have that album in his collectionRolleyes

I wonder if the MB entry has been edited recently? That could explain how Troy has the mbid in the wrong order, yet Picard now returns it the in the correct one. Not withstanding that it is a mythical artist!

So yes there are mistakes in the MB database. It is based on collective knowledge, so the only thing to do when such an error is found is correct it on behalf of the MB using community. By using mbids, the contribution Kodi can make is to widen that MB community - more people looking at the results of tagging with Picard (or any other Musicbrainz enabled tool) and able to feedback corrections to Musicbrainz.

Yeah, I have submitted an edit to merge 'Steve Auger' into the correct artist 'Steve Augeri' which should remove the mythical artist and update the link for that album to point to the correct artist once it's accepted.
(2016-06-11, 13:12)black_eagle Wrote: Yeah, I have submitted an edit to merge 'Steve Auger' into the correct artist 'Steve Augeri' which should remove the mythical artist and update the link for that album to point to the correct artist once it's accepted.

Good man!
BTW I'll probaby start a thread on compilations before I mess with any Kodi rules.
Troy I know you think there are fundamental issues with the way Kodi handles mbid tags, but from my view the things you have reported are matters beyond Kodi's reasonable control.

a) The user edits artist or album artist tags but leave the related mbid tags unchanged making them inconsistent.
b) There are genuine mistakes in the Musicbrainz database - honestly in all the files I have seen this is quite rare.

(2016-06-10, 19:59)deveng24 Wrote: ...but to you tell people they have tagged something wrong even when using only MB info and not editing on there part..... it just screams of a code issue.
Code, thankfully, does not scream, only users and dev team members do that Tongue

Quote:If developers decide to use mbids for identifying the item and then decide to skip validating or even checking it against the other tags it is not the end users fault.

Clearly you think that Kodi should somehow validate the artist names and mbids that the user provides. Be clear, for Kodi it is the user that provides the tags, they may use tools like Picard etc. but the resulting tags are not down to Kodi. Let's discuss validation further.

Say Kodi scans a file with tags artist_A and mbid_1 and for some reason they don't actually belong together.

If neither artist_A and mbid_1 are already in the library all Kodi can do is create a new artist entry with (artist_A, mbid_1). It is a mistake but we have no way to know that.

If we have an entry with name artist_A but no mbid then it is reasonable to give that artist an mbid of mbid_1. Again it is a mistake but we have no way to know that.

If we already have an entry with artist_A and mbid_1 then there is nothing to do, we use that artist. Mistake already made repeated.

But, the key issue, what about if we already have an entry with artist_B and mbid_1 - again it may or may not be right. Currently Kodi matches on mbid_1 alone and takes that entry as the same artist. It takes names artist_A and artist_B as variations of name for the same artist that is uniquely defined by mbid_1.

The above decision is what you disagree with Troy isn't it? Yet what would you have Kodi do?

We know that artist names are neither unique nor consistently applied e.g. "J.S.Bach" is "Johann Sebastian Bach", similarly "Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky", "Pyotr Ilyich Chaykovsky" and "Tchaikovsky" etc. want to be one artist entry, Korean singer 로티플스카이 is "Rottyful Sky". The examples are numerous. So when Kodi gets mbid_1 with names artist_A and artist_B the most likely scenario is that they are alias names for the one artist, and so it uses the first one it gets.

I hope to add handling of alias names, gathering all the variations and letting the user choose which name is listed rather than just the first found, as a new feature. But that is down the road...

Sure the scanning of a name/mbid pair that does not match what we already hold could be the result of a) or b), but we have no way to know, and, your unfortunate experiences not withstanding, it is less likely than the occurrance of an alias name. Moreover it is not clear how Kodi should fix things given one mbid and two names anyway.

However I can see that implementing an alias name facility will also make it easier to see where any artist confusion that has arisen from tagging inconsistencies, like a) or b), have come from.
(2016-06-11, 14:27)DaveBlake Wrote: Troy I know you think there are fundamental issues with the way Kodi handles mbid tags, but from my view the things you have reported are matters beyond Kodi's reasonable control.

a) The user edits artist or album artist tags but leave the related mbid tags unchanged making them inconsistent.
b) There are genuine mistakes in the Musicbrainz database - honestly in all the files I have seen this is quite rare.

Dave,
from my point of view... its not beyond Kodi's control... since one it started the issue by incorporating mbidis into the mix and the not dealing with the issue of errors in MBids.
as for;
a) users need the flexibility to edit their tags.... like i explained id3 tags just updated to handle multiple artist (some players still have not) so, for people with large libraries, before multiple artist.... people elected to clean and organize their music to their liking. All players handle this just fine.

Kodi handles this just fine when no MB data is included.

b) yes I would agree, mistakes are in the MB database.... this is what needs to be addressed in software and not pushed to the user. Most users on the web are going to try Kodi.... load their library... see it mangled.... and uninstall.... (i did for many of Kodi's past releases)

Quote:Clearly you think that Kodi should somehow validate the artist names and mbids that the user provides. Be clear, for Kodi it is the user that provides the tags, they may use tools like Picard etc. but the resulting tags are not down to Kodi. Let's discuss validation further

Say Kodi scans a file with tags artist_A and mbid_1 and for some reason they don't actually belong together.

If neither artist_A and mbid_1 are already in the library all Kodi can do is create a new artist entry with (artist_A, mbid_1). It is a mistake but we have no way to know that.

If we have an entry with name artist_A but no mbid then it is reasonable to give that artist an mbid of mbid_1. Again it is a mistake but we have no way to know that.

If we already have an entry with artist_A and mbid_1 then there is nothing to do, we use that artist. Mistake already made repeated.

But, the key issue, what about if we already have an entry with artist_B and mbid_1 - again it may or may not be right. Currently Kodi matches on mbid_1 alone and takes that entry as the same artist. It takes names artist_A and artist_B as variations of name for the same artist that is uniquely defined by mbid_1.

The above decision is what you disagree with Troy isn't it? Yet what would you have Kodi do?

first let me just show how i would handle the validation and db management before talking about how kodi does it;
using artist id MBartistID 1 and Id3artist 1, MBartistID2 and id3artist2, etc......

before starting parse/format id3 artist tag and MBartistID
drop all items without MBids

1) collect both (no comparing) make arrays
MBartistID 1 and Id3artist 1, MBartist2ID and id3artist2

2) add DB extra columns for matchWeight and verified

3) for everything with single artist in both MBartistID and id3artist place 1 in match/mismatch not verified column yet

4) now compare the two arrays .... count how many times artist MBids and Id3 tags match ( in my case you would see lets say 10 journey matches and 1 steve) .... so in theory the 10 would out weigh the 1.... and then this best guess would then cause a swap of MBadrtistIDs and id3artistIDs in DB.
add 1 to matched column.

5) artists with equal weight need validating... online lookup maybe.... (i would only do this for equal and close matches depending on how accurate i needed to be). add to check to verified column.

6) match the matched artist id3MB tags to the id3 items without MBids. maybe make a coulum KodiIDs for best guest match.

7) the start to build Artist Nodes

**** i know this concept sill could produce errors if users misnamed their tags but any modification should end up low on a comparison. Also, by counting/comparing first before building nodes the order of the library would have no impact on Artist determination.

im sure i missed a validation in there somewhere... but it was a quick thought on how to validate Artist down to the song level.

Quote:We know that artist names are neither unique nor consistently applied e.g. "J.S.Bach" is "Johann Sebastian Bach", similarly "Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky", "Pyotr Ilyich Chaykovsky" and "Tchaikovsky" etc. want to be one artist entry, Korean singer 로티플스카이 is "Rottyful Sky". The examples are numerous. So when Kodi gets mbid_1 with names artist_A and artist_B the most likely scenario is that they are alias names for the one artist, and so it uses the first one it gets.

I hope to add handling of alias names, gathering all the variations and letting the user choose which name is listed rather than just the first found, as a new feature. But that is down the road...

Sure the scanning of a name/mbid pair that does not match what we already hold could be the result of a) or b), but we have no way to know, and, your unfortunate experiences not withstanding, it is less likely than the occurrance of an alias name. Moreover it is not clear how Kodi should fix things given one mbid and two names anyway.

However I can see that implementing an alias name facility will also make it easier to see where any artist confusion that has arisen from tagging inconsistencies, like a) or b), have come from.

as for alias or inconsistent names i would keep a library/whitelist and use it to compare artist ID tag or this is where user Tag is used. also, if a match/ compare is done in the example above... it would separate the outriders and join them with the most consistent id3 tags to the MBids...

but all this derives from MBids and how Kodi handles them.... because after ive removed MBids from my files everything was where i expected it.

if you want the user not to get frustrated in the way Kodi maps users artist tags... give the user a direct edit to the artist tag (like other programs/ addons)and when a compare is run the DB would become more accurate and reliable.

just some thoughts ....

Troy

[Edited to makes quotes more reable - DB]
(2016-06-11, 18:08)deveng24 Wrote: Dave,
from my point of view... its not beyond Kodi's control... since one it started the issue by incorporating mbidis into the mix and the not dealing with the issue of errors in MBids.
as for;
a) users need the flexibility to edit their tags.... like i explained id3 tags just updated to handle multiple artist (some players still have not) so, for people with large libraries, before multiple artist.... people elected to clean and organize their music to their liking. All players handle this just fine.

Kodi handles this just fine when no MB data is included.

b) yes I would agree, mistakes are in the MB database.... this is what needs to be addressed in software and not pushed to the user. Most users on the web are going to try Kodi.... load their library... see it mangled.... and uninstall.... (i did for many of Kodi's past releases)

Sorry, I can't agree with this Smile

Users DO NOT need the ability to edit their tags if they are using MBID's as editing them afterwards just causes issues.

Mistakes in the MB database - how can you possibly expect this to be handled in software Huh A mistake is just that, and if/when discovered it needs fixing in the MB database. This isn't down to Kodi or it's devs, but the users. Admittedly it's probably the more 'power' users rather than casual, but it's still a meta-data issue that requires fixing at the source, not with some cobbled together code in Kodi. Such code might fix an issue for yourself, but create issues for others. Fixing the meta-data fixes it for everyone that uses it.

Quote:first let me just show how i would handle the validation and db management before talking about how kodi does it;
using artist id MBartistID 1 and Id3artist 1, MBartistID2 and id3artist2, etc......

before starting parse/format id3 artist tag and MBartistID
drop all items without MBids

1) collect both (no comparing) make arrays
MBartistID 1 and Id3artist 1, MBartist2ID and id3artist2

2) add DB extra columns for matchWeight and verified

3) for everything with single artist in both MBartistID and id3artist place 1 in match/mismatch not verified column yet

4) now compare the two arrays .... count how many times artist MBids and Id3 tags match ( in my case you would see lets say 10 journey matches and 1 steve) .... so in theory the 10 would out weigh the 1.... and then this best guess would then cause a swap of MBadrtistIDs and id3artistIDs in DB.
add 1 to matched column.

Fix the meta-data. Why do you need to jump through hoops to ensure everything is matching (given that scanning can take a while on a large collection anyway, without extra stuff added in) when fixing the meta-data once cures the problem for everyone.

Quote:as for alias or inconsistent names i would keep a library/whitelist and use it to compare artist ID tag or this is where user Tag is used. also, if a match/ compare is done in the example above... it would separate the outriders and join them with the most consistent id3 tags to the MBids...

but all this derives from MBids and how Kodi handles them.... because after ive removed MBids from my files everything was where i expected it.

if you want the user not to get frustrated in the way Kodi maps users artist tags... give the user a direct edit to the artist tag (like other programs/ addons)and when a compare is run the DB would become more accurate and reliable.

just some thoughts ....

Troy

So, you want Kodi to match an unknown (to MB) artist to the MBID associated with the 'most consistent id3 tag(s)' Huh I can't see how that would possibly help - indeed it would likely create a great mess.

Yes, I use MBID's. Yes, I tag all my files with Picard. Kodi's library is pretty much exactly how I want it to be. It certainly doesn't frustrate me.

There are certain times when having the ability to edit an artist inside of Kodi would be advantageous but generally, I would suggest that all the tag editing is done outside of Kodi. If Kodi produces a result you don't like, then this is, in the vast majority of cases, down to the tagging being incorrect. Users have a choice as to whether or not to tag with MBID's. In most cases, doing so gives a far better library experience than not although of course each individual user is entitled to do as they wish.
(2016-06-12, 11:40)black_eagle Wrote: Users DO NOT need the ability to edit their tags if they are using MBID's as editing them afterwards just causes issues.

Mistakes in the MB database - how can you possibly expect this to be handled in software Huh A mistake is just that, and if/when discovered it needs fixing in the MB database. This isn't down to Kodi or it's devs, but the users. Admittedly it's probably the more 'power' users rather than casual, but it's still a meta-data issue that requires fixing at the source, not with some cobbled together code in Kodi.

Users may not NEED the ability to edit tags, but, being able to correct MBids information for a user is key (I have an artist: The smashing pumpkins (most often tagged by MBids) and smashing pumpkins (both names are correct/used), Now if i would like the name to be "smashing pumpkins" all the time how do you correct that? you wont be able to have MB correct it since both are correct. So, it needs to be handled in SW ie... edit the tag .

As for handling it in SW its easy.... but the issue is Kodi as Dave has stated... Kodi matches on the first instance if that is an incorrect match the rest of your library is F'd.

SW can easy look at an array and make a determination....

if
b,a=1,2
b=2
b=2
b=2
c=3
what does a=?

if you can see a most likely equal to 1 so can SW ( and i will agree that a=1 is just a guess/ but add 100 more data points and that guess gets better)

Now, the way kodi handles it is (using the data set above) when it sees b,a =1,2 it sets b=1 and a=2;
Kodi will end up with the following results;

b=1
a=2
b=1
b=1
b=1
c=3

this happens all the time if the wrong artist is before the correct match and is why i suggested to look at the whole DB before signing an artist to a MBid. Making a guess on the first occurrence is just lazy programing.

I will agree only "power users" are going to track down MB and have them correct it.... hence the reason i said "normal" users will just move on to another program.

Quote:Such code might fix an issue for yourself, but create issues for others. Fixing the meta-data fixes it for everyone that uses it.

You could be correct that's what quality testing is for and the way the SW works.... now seems to be incorrect and does not work with my data. So, is the reason for not changing the code could break other users then the same weight has to be given to condemning the current code.

Quote:Fix the meta-data. Why do you need to jump through hoops to ensure everything is matching (given that scanning can take a while on a large collection anyway, without extra stuff added in) when fixing the meta-data once cures the problem for everyone.

The reason to make sure everything is matching is to give the user correct matches? but, to your point... fixing the meta-date is a burden put upon the user that does not need to be there. Kodi ignores/makes assumption the the first instance it sees the error is correct. when a mismatch happens the "normal" user has no way to correct the issue. you do not see MBids in Itunes for example (if i remember correctly) So, Fixing the meta-data in your suggestion is going to MB and setting up an account and suggesting a change, wating for that change to be approved, then re running your music for MBids... this is the easiest solution? when a simple edit locally would do it.

....talk about the time it would take to scanning a large collection Rofl

not related to the above...
? before multi artist did you have a library of artist that showed as an example Artist1 and another for Artist1 feat artist2 and another for Artist2?
you have a thread on compilations.... in the past did you change the album id to Various Artists or let your library display all the different artist?
Im just wondering if you ever edited a tag or used whatever you were given....because, i know gracenotes didnt take suggestions from users... and back then were the only option for getting CD ripping info.

Quote:So, you want Kodi to match an unknown (to MB) artist to the MBID associated with the 'most consistent id3 tag(s)' Huh I can't see how that would possibly help - indeed it would likely create a great mess.

Im not sure what you mean by unknown? but statistically if artist X shows to have MBid XXF24 assigned to it 100 times and artist B has it once... It would be a better guess that artist X = MBid 24 than artist B.... making B an unknown or when MBids had a second entry for that song where it was assigned Artist X, you could assume artist B was the other MBid and check.... and if artist B was assigned an Id somewhere else in the collection and the IDS matched you found artist B MBid.

like i said before this corrects kodi making an assumption on a MBid when it first sees it..... if you were blind and someone tells you red was really green but, 50 other people told you red was red.... would you say no the first person told me what red is.... are all 50 people of you are wrong?

Quote:Yes, I use MBID's. Yes, I tag all my files with Picard. Kodi's library is pretty much exactly how I want it to be. It certainly doesn't frustrate me.

There are certain times when having the ability to edit an artist inside of Kodi would be advantageous but generally, I would suggest that all the tag editing is done outside of Kodi. If Kodi produces a result you don't like, then this is, in the vast majority of cases, down to the tagging being incorrect. Users have a choice as to whether or not to tag with MBID's. In most cases, doing so gives a far better library experience than not although of course each individual user is entitled to do as they wish.

I would agree with you that editing Tags outside of Kodi is Great... however, because Kodi uses MBids correcting your id3 Tags will have NO effect on your Kodi library.
and my suggestion to edit was only say the artists name so if you had artist a and wanted it to be artist A you could change that.... I guess i when further and said if a user changed artist A to artist B it might be a good time to see if artist A was assigned artist B's MBid for some reason. and to take the users input as having more weight.

"...individual user is entitled to do as they wish." this is all that im saying .... Kodi needs to give users a say in how the library is organized... and like i suggested in the beginning of the thread to Dave when trying to solve my issues i see ( not believing ... the user should correct their tags was the right answer)... but add more weight to the ID3 tags and not MBids....

but then asked how SW was to correct Mismatches, i gave my opinion (showed a low level example) on how i would go about it......

Anytime the simple order of your files/data effects the results... the SW is broke!!! and is not an issue that should be pushed onto the user.

and while you could do this in the cleanup of the library (after getting the initial data), writing code to fix bad code is just bad programing and should be corrected at the source.
BR
Troy

[Edited to make quotes more readble - DB]
Troy thank you for your suggestions and opinions. I did a quick edit of your posts to sort out the quote tags and make who said what more readable

I think the fundamental flaw in your design idea is that it presumes the user has a fixed resource of music files they want to turn into a library. In reality, not a test situation, users often add new music to their library over a period of time, some even add a few songs every day. Rescanning all files and rebuilding the entire library just to add a few songs is not something users will want to do, or something there is any need to do. Most will not have messed up the mbid/name pairing that Picard provides, and the odd MB data error is best corrected at source.

Kodi is not a tool for checking the data integrity and consistency of your tagging. Maybe you would like someone to create one, but it is not what Kodi is for. Neither is it a tagging tool, there is lots of software for doing that job already. Primarily it is a media player, that has a music library facility designed to enhance the music selection and playing experience.

You think that Kodi is "broken", and you are entitled to your opinion. It is probably best if we just agree to disagree. If users like yourself, that tag with mbids and then ignore them and edit the tags inconsistently making the mbid tags wrong, choose not to use Kodi then that is fine by me. If they want guidence as to why Kodi is behaving as it does and what they can do to correct their corrupted tagging then as you well know I am happy to advise.
Without wishing to clutter the thread any more than it already is, I still felt compelled to address some of your points.

(2016-06-12, 17:29)deveng24 Wrote: As for handling it in SW its easy.... but the issue is Kodi as Dave has stated... Kodi matches on the first instance if that is an incorrect match the rest of your library is F'd.

SW can easy look at an array and make a determination....

if
b,a=1,2
b=2
b=2
b=2
c=3
what does a=?

Well, I would read that as b = 1, a = 2.

(2016-06-12, 17:29)deveng24 Wrote: ... fixing the meta-date is a burden put upon the user that does not need to be there. Kodi ignores/makes assumption the the first instance it sees the error is correct. when a mismatch happens the "normal" user has no way to correct the issue. you do not see MBids in Itunes for example (if i remember correctly) So, Fixing the meta-data in your suggestion is going to MB and setting up an account and suggesting a change, wating for that change to be approved, then re running your music for MBids... this is the easiest solution? when a simple edit locally would do it.

The reason the meta-data exists in the first place is because it has been built by users. I didn't say it was the easiest solution, I said it was the best solution as fixing it once in MB fixes it for every user of MB that comes along afterwards. You may think (and you are entitled to your opinion) that making a local edit is the simplest solution, but this is only a solution for you.

(2016-06-12, 17:29)deveng24 Wrote: not related to the above...
? before multi artist did you have a library of artist that showed as an example Artist1 and another for Artist1 feat artist2 and another for Artist2?
you have a thread on compilations.... in the past did you change the album id to Various Artists or let your library display all the different artist?
Im just wondering if you ever edited a tag or used whatever you were given....because, i know gracenotes didnt take suggestions from users... and back then were the only option for getting CD ripping info.

Well, the answer to that is a 'depends' lol.... Really, it comes down to what system I was using to play my media. A looooong time ago it would have been Winamp, but when I got married my wife didn't get on with it very well...Windows media player was much easier for her to use. Neither of these offered a library in the same way that Kodi does so my tagging was probably not that great but sufficient to get the results we required. I never used gracenotes. If I ripped a CD I tagged it with the info on the back of the jewel case.

FF to Kodi a few years ago and I realized that my tagging was inadequate for what I was trying to achieve so I began a laborious process of re-tagging all my files. Things were not perfect by any means but I could see from discussions on here that steps were being taken to remedy some of the more obvious problems. Then Kodi started to process MBID's and I started re-tagging using those. Now @DaveBlake has added roles to the library and because I didn't tag with those in the last pass.....guess what....I'm re-tagging again lol

(2016-06-12, 17:29)deveng24 Wrote: like i said before this corrects kodi making an assumption on a MBid when it first sees it..... if you were blind and someone tells you red was really green but, 50 other people told you red was red.... would you say no the first person told me what red is.... are all 50 people of you are wrong?

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Kodi to make that assumption. If the MBID is wrong then I would suggest in 99.9% of cases that this is down to user error when tagging.

Believe me, the results obtained from correct tagging and Dave's great work with processing those tags produces a much better music library than was possible even a year ago. The library has improved no end and I hope it will continue to do so. Nod
(2016-06-12, 18:14)DaveBlake Wrote: Troy thank you for your suggestions and opinions. I did a quick edit of your posts to sort out the quote tags and make who said what more readable

I think the fundamental flaw in your design idea is that it presumes the user has a fixed resource of music files they want to turn into a library. In reality, not a test situation, users often add new music to their library over a period of time, some even add a few songs every day. Rescanning all files and rebuilding the entire library just to add a few songs is not something users will want to do, or something there is any need to do. Most will not have messed up the mbid/name pairing that Picard provides, and the odd MB data error is best corrected at source.

Kodi is not a tool for checking the data integrity and consistency of your tagging. Maybe you would like someone to create one, but it is not what Kodi is for. Neither is it a tagging tool, there is lots of software for doing that job already. Primarily it is a media player, that has a music library facility designed to enhance the music selection and playing experience.

You think that Kodi is "broken", and you are entitled to your opinion. It is probably best if we just agree to disagree. If users like yourself, that tag with mbids and then ignore them and edit the tags inconsistently making the mbid tags wrong, choose not to use Kodi then that is fine by me. If they want guidence as to why Kodi is behaving as it does and what they can do to correct their corrupted tagging then as you well know I am happy to advise.

Dave,
I'm only trying to give an opinion (different from your train of thought) on how some users see things. Now if you consider things faults or working as designed. thats your opinion.

if you do not consider user libraries test situations.... Im not sure why/what issues you are looking for? you stated before that you dont have all your albums tagged with MBids (you could have issues with your own library)... now if i was developing anything and the main function was to use X i better have a test suite with all combinations i could that uses X for testing. hence the reason to ask a group to test. But, when this happens and people say i found this issue and the Program Manager said its not a problem, X wasn't correct in the data you used.....then there is no need to test.... just check to see if perfectly formatted X still works.

Most uses care about how their library is displayed.... and you are missing or im not explaining it so you understand......
Users had to change/edit Id3 tags to correct the inability of music organizers to display multiple artist and feat. artist as examples to easily scan/make readable on other devices and programs. This is not a Messed up tagging but how id3 tags were designed. Usability and clarity for MUSIC PLAYERS.

As for Kodi and what it is..... for not caring if the data kodi displays is correctly....Fine, as one of the developers you get to make that call. If it only a media player ... maybe you should look at how a competing program ( a media player) handles issues (plex).... im not saying they do anything better ( tagging/look up is bad) but, when an error/discrepancy occur users can correct it (THIS is also available in Kodi Movies/TV show, under the manage selection) and why i suggest it would be a solution. Only difference is you would group on renamed artist.

Kodi is Broken.... Where in the world except the UK Smile would programing that reacts different by the simple ordering of files provided be acceptableHuh

anything that disregards the whole is just wrong.... take for example if mathematics and computer programming,disregarded the "order of operations" law when programing a calculator. would you say the expression is wrong or would you say the operator needs to split the expression up so the calculator can correctly evaluate it. Just imagine how a program like MatLab (high level math equation solver) would be if you had to enter each expression as its own function.

like i said before ...Kodi works fine without the use MBids (pictures/bios/backgrounds) and even respects that i dont want a featured artist as its own node and have zero issues with "Various artists" even with my "wrong" tagging methodology....
yes this is getting into along thread so i will drop the quotes..... and please You or Dave think i disregard any of his hard work....

that being said.....
when if you see the correct answer for a=2 sorry you wold be wrong.... any statistician/engineer would look at that say a=2 is an outlier and should be discarded. now if you want to find out if its an entry error you can evaluate it against the date you have or look it up online.

so, in the various artist you choose to use your data vs gracenote ... and is one of my points people want to use tags they created (right or wrong)... this is done because other programs still do not order artist correctly (featured artist for example). Im not sure how you handle your other devices? one of my examples of where having multiple artist listed is on a car radio.... searching thru a library with artist listed because they were featured on a song just becomes dangerous (and my reason for removing that artist).

the point of Kodi making assumptions when the data is available is just wrong.... in a production environment for example.... if the first wigget packed with the color red when it was planned to be green and then all red were labeled green. when you go to sell the item and tell the user red is green... its not going to be an easy sell.

and why I suggest errors should be corrected...this in noway reflects on Dave and the job he has done or is doing.. I just think if you want your users to have a good experience and are able to correct errors with all the data given it should be done.
(2016-06-11, 08:55)DaveBlake Wrote: "What a Wonderful Christmas"....

Scott, if you did use Picard to tag this album it would have
Album Artist: Louis Armstrong & Friends
Album Artists: Louis Armstrong
Musicbrainz_AlbumArtistID:eea8a864-fcda-4602-9569-38ab446decd6 (i.e. Louis Armstrong)

and behaviour would be slightly different, but your observatons would still apply.

I do think that the rules for identifying a compilation need to be slightly changed, there are some anomolies, there is even a Trac ticket for it. One delemma is do anthologies, like "Greatest Hits" by single artist, count as compilations?

Quote:But I really think $INFO[ListItem.Artist] in musiclibrary vs musicinformation needs to be looked at
Yes, I agree.

Originally, before the handling of ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tags added in v16, the song and album tables held denornalised data in the strArtists field. The individual artists could always be identified by splitting strArtists using the item separator. But tags like "Louis Armstrong & The Benny Carter Orchestra" would have been taken as a single artist, and Kodi was having difficulty separating the diverse artist name strings that Picard produced to match to mbids.

Then the "hints" tags were added, and since v16 the strArtists fields have been effectlively an artist(s) display string for the album or song. But there is some juggling in the code to allow for the fact that sometimes we had all the artists for an item, othertimes we just had this string. Obviously this still isn't consistent

Thanks for noticing this.

Edit: The problem is in CGUIDialogMusicInfo::SetAlbum, the album item isn't being populated correctly.
See PR9948

I was using MB via the browser interface to see how they handled it. One thing I saw was on one of the tracks which artist <> album artist, I followed the artist link in MB and on the artist page it showed him on a "compilation" section of the discography and it sowed "What a Wonderful Christmas" as a VA release credit. Maybe a data bug there, but I was curious what would happen if I put VA in the album artists hint and actually I think it works very well.

I never use the compilations node, just checking it for testing. My personal opinion is if someone depends on that node they should take care to set the compilation tag.

I saw your commit but didn't really understand what the change did. When It gets merged I'll use that as an excuse to rebase my skin dev install to the current nightly.

scott s.
(2016-06-12, 22:32)scott967 Wrote: "What a Wonderful Christmas"....

I saw your commit but didn't really understand what the change did. When It gets merged I'll use that as an excuse to rebase my skin dev install to the current nightly.

This issue of inconsistencies between what album artist is shown on music library nodes verses information dialog has been fixed by PR9948 which has now been merged into the current nightlies. Time for that skin rebase Smile
(2016-05-20, 17:57)DaveBlake Wrote: What is this
Please use this thread for both reporting and asking questions about the most recent changes to the way Kodi 17.0 Krypton processes the music file tags (ID3, APE2, Vorbis etc.) to create the music library and the associated new features.

Hi Dave. Can you please add some info on what has been changed and what you would like to test?

I have recently installed Krypton on my LibreELEC NUC (brand new SSD for Kodi 17) and successfully scanned my approx 1000 album/400 artist music collection. I have run Kodi and randomly played and surfed through the music and all seems ok.

My music was already tagged and most artists have MBIDs, nfo and local fanart etc. All music is FLAC (hires multichannel).

Since Krypton does not have any fancy slideshows or play screens showing metadata I can't tell if its music DB has picked up all info.

I'd like to do more testing but need some info on what has changed or what to run to best help out.

I assume the underlying code and/or database has changed but from a users perspective it seems pretty much the same as Jarvis.

THX
Garry
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1