Win USB External HDD or USB Enclosure?
Hi there, I have a small HTPC running Windows 7. I had 3 USB external harddrives totaling 12 TB of Media storage. Well, one of them was a cheap Seagate that I bought and went out. I need to get another one, but I was curious if getting an external enclosure like this would be a better choice. Would transfer rates and quality be better? My HTPC also has an External SATA port, should I get something for that port instead? This drive is for my primary Bluray rips, which is why I'm asking.
Honestly speed depends of various factors.
The best transfer rates you can get as of now are the following:
For USB:
USB 3.0/3.1 (new) + UASP
For eSata:
First make sure is a 6Gbps at least + port multiplier

The above would be the optimal for best speed transfers rates (USB and eSata speaking only)

Why don't you get a Mediasonic Probox 4bay better (or similar) so you can put all 3 HDD and still have space for 1 more
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Hey there,

Not noting what is best, just my experience with USB 3.0. I have ripped my movie collection to an external drive with USB 3.0. I use 0 compression for both video and audio and it works very well for play back. It is a little clunky when copying files to it and reading from it at the same time but typically I'm only ever reading from it for the theater so it's good for me. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

On one hand getting the Mediasonic Probox 4bay would be better in the long run (less plugs), on the other hand, I'd have to rebuy harddrives all over again and it would be costly. I suppose I could TRY and take apart my existing USB externals and use the hard drives inside, but it's just too risky for me. Still I see a lot of people comment and review that it's great for stuff like Kodi, so I think I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB External HDD or USB Enclosure?0