Android Can I switch the display off remotely when playing music?
Hi,

I've just installed Kodi on my Samsung Galaxy View, which I'm controlling via Yatse from my Samsung Galaxy S6. So far, everything seems to be working great.

Since I'd like to use Kodi to play music before I sleep, I'd like to switch off the display when playing music. The Galaxy View is configured to switch the display off after 30 seconds, but Kodi seems to prevent this from happening (which I understand makes sense for video playback). I can get what I want by pressing the power button on the Galaxy View, but this means I have to get out of bed, since I can't invoke the power button remotely from Yatse.

On my HTPC, there is a Power Saving option called "Put display to sleep when idle", which would be ideal, but the option is missing in Kodi on the Galaxy View.

Does anyone know if it's possible to accomplish what I'm trying to do, and how to do it?

Cheers,
Martin
Isn't it possible to set KODI screen saver to 100% dark?
100% dark just makes the screen show as black, but the screen backlight remains switched on and is still visible. I think that solution would only work for an OLED screen, not for a backlit LCD screen such as the Galaxy View.
Any news on this?
In Kodi 15 I used to listen to documentaries or youtube videos using Kodi to fall asleep, and it worked fine because I could just press the power button on my android and it will still continue playing with the screen off, saving battery. Kodi was the only Android video player I know that was doing it like this, so props to that. This justified having it installed in my Phone even when I already had VLC and so.

However, now with Kodi 16 (and also with 17 nightly) now every time I press the power button the whole video playback stops and I can't listen to it anymore. Pressing the power button again doesn't even resume the video from where it was, instead it shows the menu as if I had stopped the video playback entirely.

Is there a way to prevent this or at least customize the behavior?
Try with SPMC (wiki). It should work there.
I just tried, but in SPMC it's the same. Videos stop playing when the power button is pressed.
It does not happen in the music player, though. But I'd be nice for there to be a way to turn off the screen with videos as well, since a lot of documentaries, standup comedies, etc. are videos and maybe I want to continue listening the audio on the go in my phone during my commute, only opening to see the actual video when I reach to the train/bus.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I switch the display off remotely when playing music?0