Sony Android televisions
Hello all,

I currently have a HTPC running Kodi on Windows 7 with multiple hard drives on board. I'm looking into a new tv and leaning towards a Sony Android set. I have seen people install the android Kodi app on their android sets and would like to do the same.

My question is this: what options do I have to connect my HTPC with all hard drives to the tv bypassing the os completely? Essentially using my htpc as one big collection of hard drives that my tv accesses for media for the app. Ideally would like to do it via usb.

Thanks in advance.
Just had a play with my Sony Bravia TV Android 2016 using Kodi.
Inserted a USB and Kodi was able to find it and I was able to play it using the Sony remote( ie play/pause, fast forward, rewind ) which was a surprise.
Mine has two USB connections, one is labelled as Record to HDD ( only for Australia and NZ and this has to be a dedicated HDD only for recording TV content and can't be used with other devices) but this can also be used as a normal USB connection.
I've connected a powered USB HDD and a portable HDD both work and are recognised by Kodi.
Will it recognise multiple HDD's in the same USB slot?.Should do but you need someone whose done it to confirm
Kodi on your tv should work the same as kodi on any other machine. So share your folders on your htpc and add them as smb sources.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you both!
Interesting! How good is Kodi on a Sony then?

a few questions:
  • Does auto framerate switching work?
  • What about Audio? Passthrough of DTS and Dolby Digital?
  • Is HD Audio supported? DTS-HD or TrueHD passthrough?
  • Do NTFS hard drives work if I attach them to USB?

Would be interesing to hear some feedback Smile
(2016-06-01, 18:19)infinity85 Wrote: Interesting! How good is Kodi on a Sony then?

a few questions:
  • Does auto framerate switching work?
  • What about Audio? Passthrough of DTS and Dolby Digital?
  • Is HD Audio supported? DTS-HD or TrueHD passthrough?
  • Do NTFS hard drives work if I attach them to USB?

Would be interesing to hear some feedback Smile

Don't know about framerate switching, tell me more
The TV has a optical out, which I've connected to my old pioneer receiver, has three options one of which is PCM.
NTFS HDD's work through the USB connections.Just plug and play.
I have a dedicated NUC for Kodi so haven't really worried to much about the Sony TV
Thanks for this feedback! Smile

Regarding auto framerate switching:
If you play a mkv file (blurayrip) which is 24hz or 23.976hz. Does the TV switch from its 1080p60Hz to 1080p24hz automatically? That is always the main point what people pay attention to for smooth playback. Otherwise those movies will stutter a bit periodically... every 30 seconds or so (I'm not sure). But the TV usually flickers for a second while changing the framerate and some show then in one corner the current framerate after the switch for some seconds. On my philips I have to press the "option" button to see the current resolution/framerate.
Just tried to play a mkv file through Kodi. Couldn't see how to check framerate.
Played it through the TV video again couldn't see how to check framerate.
Both played well, the TV picture seemed better.
No framerate switching, but sticking to 60Hz and enabling "Sync to display" (in SPMC or Krypton) should get you judder-free 23.976 playback
(2016-06-03, 02:24)dixons Wrote: Just tried to play a mkv file through Kodi. Couldn't see how to check framerate.
Played it through the TV video again couldn't see how to check framerate.
Both played well, the TV picture seemed better.

Thanks for testing Smile

(2016-06-03, 07:14)Koying Wrote: No framerate switching, but sticking to 60Hz and enabling "Sync to display" (in SPMC or Krypton) should get you judder-free 23.976 playback

Thank you for this specific answer! Good to know how the behaviour is altogether with sync to display feature Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Android televisions0