How to update OpenELEC to version 3.4.12
I'm running OpenELEC 6.0.3 on a RPi2 using mythtv 0.28 on the backend. I can connect to all other Kodi boxes using the backend, but the Pi gives the error about incompatible version of the backend when trying to connect. I know that this is a known issue with mythtv 0.28, and the pvr-mythtv addon needs to be updated to a version that is compatible with 0.28. Unfortunately, the OpenELEC repositories are still out of date, and when I try to install the Raspbian binary zip file from Janbar's github page (version 3.4.12), I get an error saying that the dependencies are not met - contact the author. Version 2.85 from the github page installs fine, however, but still fails to connect.
How are you trying to install the zip file (from memory don't use install from zip within Kodi)

In the past this is how I have done it:

copy pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-16.zip to .kodi/addons on rpi2
unzip -o pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-16.zip
reboot openelec

Mike
(2016-06-07, 08:42)MikeB2013 Wrote: How are you trying to install the zip file (from memory don't use install from zip within Kodi)

In the past this is how I have done it:

copy pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-16.zip to .kodi/addons on rpi2
unzip -o pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-16.zip
reboot openelec

Mike

OK, I ssh'ed into the Pi and performed the above command. Then I rebooted OpenELEC, and verified that the addon was updated correctly. But as soon as I enabled live TV, the system hung up - the screen went black. Power cycling did not help - the Kodi splash screen would display for a second and the screen would go black. As soon as I ssh'ed back into the box and deleted the pvr-mythtv addon folder the system would recover. I'm beginning to think there is some incompatibility with the addon and OpenELEC 6.0.3.
Just checked on a default install of Openelec 6.0.3 which has Kodi 15.2 Isengard .

pvr.mythtv 3.4.12 is for Kodi 16 Jarvis

You need pvr.mythtv 2.8.5 i.e. pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-15.zip

This works against my 0.28/Fixes backend

Mike
(2016-06-08, 10:58)MikeB2013 Wrote: Just checked on a default install of Openelec 6.0.3 which has Kodi 15.2 Isengard .

pvr.mythtv 3.4.12 is for Kodi 16 Jarvis

You need pvr.mythtv 2.8.5 i.e. pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-15.zip

This works against my 0.28/Fixes backend

Mike

This makes sense, as the 2.8.5 file installed without problem, but did not work with the 0.28 backend. I assume that if I update OpenELEC to 7.0 Beta, which should be Kodi 16.1, all should be good.
2.8.5 works with my mythtv 0.28/fixes backend

I suggest you uninstall any pvr.mythtv from within Kodi and then install the
pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-15.zip directly in .kodi/addons using unzip -o via ssh and then reboot openelec.

If that does not work it will be time for a debug log.

Mike
I updated OpenELEC to 7.0 Beta 3, and installed the pvr.mythtv-jessie-armhf-16.zip file described above. The addon updated successfully, and I managed to connect to the myth backend, but when I try to view any live TV station, I get a blue screen with "channel unavailable". I can view recordings, however, and all of my other Kodi boxes can view the channels correctly. I am assuming it may be because I don't have a MPEG2 key for my Pi2, so I ordered one.
"channel unavailable" is usually due to one of the following:

1. No free tuner on mythtv-backend
2. Timeout on tuning (pvr.mythtv addon has a default of 5 seconds, but can be changed in Advanced tab of addon)
3. Desired channel is off-air e.g. part time channel or transmitter fault.

Lack of MPEG2 key usually results in no video, but audio plays ok, or poor video quality (Rpi2 will try to decode playback using CPU , rather than GPU).

Mike
It's working now, so there may have been a tuner conflict. Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to update OpenELEC to version 3.4.120