Intel J3710 or N3700, HEVC on Linux Mint/Ubuntu
Hi, I am new on the forum and I am thinking about buying an intel based platform for kodi, as I want to be able to run smoothly for a long time. I have just seen the Vorke V1, a chinese miniPC with J3160 for, about 160€. I think there should not be any problem with it, right? I could also buy the J3160DC-ITX but when I consider I have to buy enclousure, ssd and ram the price increases considerably. The only problem, it is not fanless.
Wait until the next generation of these devices if you want proper 10-bit HEVC support for the future.
xtract47 better wait or buy some androidbox.
My J3710 is fine, especially on Kodi 17; 1080p 10-bit hevc is fine most of the time but 4k is a mess. If you want something for a long time you should get something capable of playing 4k and 10bit hevc effortlessly, and J3700/3160 is definitely struggling here. Otherwise it's great; low power, no-noise, no driver issues.
Or you can buy a micro-ATX version with PCIe 16 and upgrade it later with some decent graphic card that supports hevc and 4k decoding.
(2016-10-05, 15:17)szymon Wrote: xtract47 better wait or buy some androidbox.
My J3710 is fine, especially on Kodi 17; 1080p 10-bit hevc is fine most of the time but 4k is a mess. If you want something for a long time you should get something capable of playing 4k and 10bit hevc effortlessly, and J3700/3160 is definitely struggling here. Otherwise it's great; low power, no-noise, no driver issues.
Or you can buy a micro-ATX version with PCIe 16 and upgrade it later with some decent graphic card that supports hevc and 4k decoding.

have you tried openelec? I am thinking on getting the android TV mi box, which supports 4k, netflix, torrent, games, etc, but then I would loose PVR and ethernet gigabit (I do not know if usb converter would rieach 1000 Mbps).

I am starting to think that it is not possible to get something which has it all: Gigabit, 4k, kodi, extra software, upgradable, netflix, pvr... maybe wetek play 2?
As far as Kodi is concerned I tried some cheap Android box from Aliexpress; if I remember correctly it had a S905 chipset, hdmi 2.0 and a gigabit net, and it costed $20-30. Overall it was great, 4k, hevc, you name it, all was blazing fast and smooth. Games and torrenting shouldn't be a problem either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel J3710 or N3700, HEVC on Linux Mint/Ubuntu0