Linux Newbie Needs Help With Instillation Decisions
I need some advice regarding something I am trying to accomplish.

I just built a new PC for my wife. Specs: Asus M5A97 R 2.0 MB, San Disk SSD 128 (Windows 7 OS,) San Disk SSD 60 (NO OS...to be used for Kodi,) Seagate 1 TB HD (for data,) 8 gig of RAM., NVIDEA 210 graphics card, PNY.

My wife looks at a lot of foreign news. Whether this is why she has tended to get malware and viruses despite my best efforts utilizing proper anti-virus/malware, I am not sure. So, what I want to do is duel boot the PC using TWO SSDs, one for Win 7 so she can use the PC as a PC with the software she normally uses....and, utilize the second 60 gig SSD to install Kodi so she can watch whatever she wants AND to use a browser.

The 1 TB Seagate HD has already been set at the data drive for Win 7 using a registry tweak that moved the "Users" folder and all its sub-directories from the SSD. I am noting this because I ultimately want to use part of this HD to store media, that is that when Kodi is running from the second SSD, any movie downloads will go to the 1 TB HD. (I don't know if this is possible because at present it is in NTFS format. I don't know if I will need to re-partition and create an Ext4 partition for Kodi.)

The Asus MB has the ability to go directly into bios from Windows 7. So, if she wants to use Kodi, she can do that. My point is that I am trying to force her to use the bios for booting rather than using a boot manager unless there is no other way to do it.

This brings me to my questions:

1) I want the second SSD with Kodi to have a web browser. With that in mind, what is he best way to install Kodi on the second SSD? KodiELEC, LibraELEC, Kodibuntu, or Kodi on a Linux distro. (I already tried loading Kodibuntu and despite trying numerous ways to mount the iso on a USB, I was unable to get it to load. I disconnected both the other SSD and HD prior to attempting instillation.) So, I am left with Kodi ELEC, LibraELEC, or Kodi on a Linux distro. What is also important to me is which of the methods of installing Kodi will offer the most stable Kodi as well as one that will automatically update.

2) If the best way to load Kodi is via a Linux Distro, which distro is the best one to use for Kodi? I have considered Linux Cinnamon and Tails, however, I have never found any articles about Kodi instillation on Tails.

3) Once Kodi is installed by whatever method, how can I configure it to work with the data (HD?) Do I need to re-partition it creating a separate Ext4 partition for Kodi? How to link that partition with Kodi?

I really need some help with this so any advice would be appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie Needs Help With Instillation Decisions0