Random BOD only on live or pvr playback
Evening all. Need a little assistance on where to start with the a recent random BOD issue with Kodi and Win10 and NextPVR and Hauppauge.

Will be watching live OTA, after some random time the audio will wig out (very harsh tone), BOD pops immediately and the system reboots. Windows error log says something about power.

Will be watching pvr recoring (sometimes long recording over an hour, sometimes 30 min game show) same thing, long harsh audio tone and BOD...power issue.

If we watch via NextPvr direct (not using the backend) things are fine and dandy for hours and hours.

The drives 'seem' in good condition (no errors when checking) and the power supply is only 2 or 3 years old, I've had others last much longer. NPVR is latest build, Hauppauge drivers are latest and reloaded several times.

Thoughts on what I should look at and for within Jarvis 16.1??

Thanks much.
Is a BOD a Windows 'Blue Screen Of Death'? If so, you could check the error message that is displayed for the faulting module name. This name with a bit of googling will usually help you track down which driver is causing the fault. If the capture side seems fine, then it's probably the video card driver or something.
I'm actually experiencing the same issue as the OP. Running Jarvis 16.1 and nPVR, with a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250, on Windows 10. If I run live TV off nPVR, the video will run all day with no issues. If I run it through Kodi, it runs between 30 minutes and an hour, before it throws a BSOD. The BSOD mainfests different KMODE errors. I tried removing video drivers, running updates, updating codecs, etc., but haven't had any luck yet. As a last ditch effort, I wiped the hard drive a bit ago, reinstalled Windows 10, nPVR, and Kodi. The same symptoms appeared again within an hour.

Anyone else had any issues with this or have any ideas? Many thanks!
See advice above about looking for the faulting module name when you get the BSOD. This will usually help you narrow down which driver is having the issue. If you find it's a moving target, and different modules are identified, then it could be flakey memory etc.
Unfortunately, it is a moving target. The faulting module name seems to change with the wind. I am however confident that it is not flakey memory. If the memory were the issue, we would see issues with the PC during other operations, as hardware memory concerns are not constrained to a specific application. It is rock solid so long as I am not viewing Live TV in Kodi. That is the only even that triggers a BSOD. I've had it running Live TV via the nPVR application all evening on the Olympics while I've been working. That behavior is consistent with the experience I have had for the last week. It's kind of vexing since I would like to be able to use all of the Kodi features, but the Live TV is the most critical function to me. I guess I'll just have to shelve it until the next version comes out and see if anything changes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random BOD only on live or pvr playback0