Complete newbie looking to get started.
Hi, this is my first post so please go easy on me! I did look around for a 'newbies' section but couldn't seem to find one.

I'm moving to Gibraltar next year and have been told that my Sky system simply won't work out there (in Germany I just pointed the dish in the right direction and it fired straight up, but apparently there is no coverage in Gib). A lot of people I've spoken to out there say they use Android Kodi boxes which, I confess, I hadn't even heard of until tonight.

I am by no means skilled when it comes to computers, a quick browse around this site has already got me utterly bewildered with all the terminology. I am simply looking for something that I can buy, plug into my TV and internet in Gibraltar and watch British TV channels on, preferably with the ability to pause, rewind and record to either an internal or USB hard drive - essentially a replacement for my Sky box. Does such a product exist?

Please limit your answers to humour-the-Luddite levels of simplicity, I really don't have a clue about any of this stuff! Thanks in advance, Rich.
A lot of people use the term "Kodi box" to mean something that Kodi isn't. Kodi isn't a way to get movies or TV shows. Kodi is only a player. Kodi does not provide content. Unfortunately, some people have associated the Kodi program with pre-installed add-ons that are less than legal. We cannot help you with such things. Sorry.

See free content (wiki), etc
So Kodi is a player, but playing anything on it is illegal? I'm confused!
(2016-07-18, 23:54)Relliott6879 Wrote: So Kodi is a player, but playing anything on it is illegal? I'm confused!

Kodi can play legal copies of videos, and that's what it's designed for. However, if someone suggested to you that a "Kodi box" could be a replacement for your Sky system, then there's a 99.9% chance that they're talking about pirated content. Content has to come from somewhere, and new users often mistake "Kodi" as a source of content.

Kodi is just a video player. It's a video player that can run on Android boxes, as well as Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, etc. There's nothing special about a "Kodi box". It's just dedicated hardware for a TV, so you don't have to plug in your normal computer to the TV.

Some people made add-ons for Kodi, which the Kodi project has no involvement with. Those add-ons can pull content from the internet and play it back in Kodi. Sometimes those add-ons use legitimate/legal copies of things. Sometimes they're pirated. Sometimes it's a gray area, and no one is really sure.

For various reasons that should be obvious, the Kodi project cannot help people with the pirate/bootleg stuff. Even if it plays back within Kodi (using an add-on), it's not provided from Kodi or the Kodi project.
Thank you Ned, that's made things much clearer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Complete newbie looking to get started.0