OS X HDMI audio disappears
Hardware:
Mac Mini - Mid 2010 - 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB - 8GB RAM

Software:
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F1909)
Nvidia Web Drivers (to fix horizontal tearing for 320M)
Kodi 16.0 and Kodi 16.1 (Sound output set to HDMI, SAMSUNG)

Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/bFH06QrX

Issue:
The HDMI audio disappears for me in Kodi when I turn my TV off and on, the HDMI audio is no longer available as an option in the output setting. HDMI sound is still available in OS X, if I restart Kodi the HDMI sound is back and selectable in settings.

The issue started after I installed a OS X security update and restarted the Mac Mini, at the same time I did I fresh Kodi install.
I haven't had this issue before with Kodi 16.x and I've been using it since the RC, and I doubt the OS X security update I installed would cause this so I suspect it's just a setting somewhere that I've forgotten after I did the clean Kodi install.

Any one know what setting in Kodi (or OS X) I should try to change to solve the issue? I've tried to turn off sleep in OS X but it didn't help.

Edit:
I've added a debug log. Turns out the HDMI sound only disappears if I've used the audio device, e.g. start kodi, start a video, stop video, turn off TV, turn on TV, HDMI audio gone. If I don't play a video after starting Kodi I can't turn the TV on and off without HDMI sound disappearing.
An update of the issue.

Once the issue appeared I couldn't get rid of it, I hadn't really changed anything and it turned up out of the blue after a security update.

I tested to update to El Capitan and it's been working much better since then. The HDMI audio worked flawless for a couple of weeks, but recently the HDMI audio have disappeared for me again a few times, both when using 16.0 and 17.0, so the issue is not completely gone.

Is this likely to be a:

1) TV issue.
2) HDMI cable issue.
3) OS X issue.
4) Kodi issue.

The audio always works in the OS and I can get the HDMI option back if I restart Kodi.
Looks like a tv issue. In the moment the tv reappears the audio devices get re enumerated. At that time the hdmi audio device is not yet present. Normally osx should inform us again whenever the audio device list changes (in your case once the hdmi audio device is available again). That notification doesn't fire in your case.

Try to make your hdmi audio device the default device in osx audio-midi-setup. Then select default as audio device in kodi aswell and chack if this fixes your problem. If that doesn't work you might need to make your edid infomstatic so that osx always thinks the tv is on and available (no clue how to do this on osx though).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Is it possible to reload the audio device list without restarting Kodi? If so would be possible to via a script or an add-on tell Kodi to reload the audio device list and select the HDMI audio device again if it reappeared?

Now I need to restart Kodi, go to the audio settings and change the audio back to HDMI. Would be nice if I could automate this if I can't find a proper solution.
Could you try the approach i suggested first? ATM its of course not possible to trigger something low level like a audio device enumeration from anything outside of kodi core ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Sure, I just wanted to know if it was an option. So far the HDMI audio still works since yesterday morning, so I'm crossing my fingers I don't really have an issue.

My Kodi usage have been far from "normal" the last few days/weeks, a lot of switching between builds, accessing Kodi via Remote Desktop with the TV turned off etc. So perhaps the HDMI audio issue is a result from this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI audio disappears0