What OS to run for my new HTPC build, issues using Ubuntu [edit] [SOLVED ISSUES]
Hi Folks,

So I just purchased some new hardware to build a 4k ready HTPC. I've got an Skylake i3 6100T (35W) CPU, 8GB or DDR4 ram, a 240GB SSD and 2TB HDD, and a GTX 960 GPU with built in HDMI 2.0 port.

I tried manually installing Ubuntu 16.04, but it keeps crashing on logon, I'm hittin up their forms now for some help on that, but I was wondering if there was a pre-packaged OS/Kodi combo that would work with the system "out of the box". I'm also looking to run some emulation, but going to have Kodi manage any secondary apps by using an app launcher add-on.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you!

[EDIT] OH, and I would prefer to use a free OS, and not Windows for this build.
Look at LibreElec and see if it fits your needs and hardware.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-07-27, 17:47)DarrenHill Wrote: Look at LibreElec and see if it fits your needs and hardware.

Thanks, I'll try it out, though can't seem to fid any info on supported hardware. But can't hurt to download and install.
(2016-07-27, 17:32)Crystalis Wrote: Hi Folks,

So I just purchased some new hardware to build a 4k ready HTPC. I've got an Skylake i3 6100T (35W) CPU, 8GB or DDR4 ram, a 240GB SSD and 2TB HDD, and a GTX 960 GPU with built in HDMI 2.0 port.

I tried manually installing Ubuntu 16.04, but it keeps crashing on logon, I'm hittin up their forms now for some help on that, but I was wondering if there was a pre-packaged OS/Kodi combo that would work with the system "out of the box". I'm also looking to run some emulation, but going to have Kodi manage any secondary apps by using an app launcher add-on.

Thank you!

Just an FYI, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1308105

In an attempt to resolve the issue I went with Gnome Ubuntu. Problem still existed. Switched to my non-4k port on my tv and problem went away. I ordered a new HDMI 2.0 cable to test it but haven't installed it yet.
(2016-07-27, 19:17)doug piston Wrote:
(2016-07-27, 17:32)Crystalis Wrote: Hi Folks,

Thank you!

Just an FYI, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1308105

In an attempt to resolve the issue I went with Gnome Ubuntu. Problem still existed. Switched to my non-4k port on my tv and problem went away. I ordered a new HDMI 2.0 cable to test it but haven't installed it yet.

Thanks, though right now I'm configuring the system using a regular displayport monitor, but I might remove the graphics card, and use the built in Intel GPU for now to make sure I can get it installed without crashing.
What do you mean "crashing"?
(2016-07-27, 23:13)doug piston Wrote: What do you mean "crashing"?

I got it working!

So the issue was that on logon the desktop would crash, a pop up wopuld come up but then quickly disapear so it was hard to see what the erro was.

After some digging I found that it was the nouveau open source drivers that ubuntu 16.04 has built in.

So what I ended up doing was, removed my GTX 960 and used the built in iGPU. Installed ubuntu as normal. Installed the Close source Nvidia drivers from PPA, removed the nouveau drivers. Shutdown. Re-installed the GTX 960, disabled the iGPU in bios.

I was able to log into UBUNTU no issues. Nvidia drivers see the 960, and Kodi sees it to. All good to go!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What OS to run for my new HTPC build, issues using Ubuntu [edit] [SOLVED ISSUES]0