Switching to Kodi / Linux
Hi everybody!

I am new here, so take it easy with me!

I am thinking about switching from Win 7 / MCE to Kodi / Linux. I am currently using the following Hardware:

Board: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 Intel H67
CPU: Intel Core i3 2105 2x 3.10GHz So.1155 BOX
Ram: 4GB Corsair ValueSelect DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9
BR: LiteOn IHOS104-06 Blu-ray Rom
SD: 64GB Samsung 830 Series 2.5"
HD: 2000GB Western Digital Caviar Green
Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX
TV: Digital Devices Cine C/T V6
Case: Origenae S16V

So first of all my questions are:

Will this Hardware work under Linux (save the bluray, of course), especially the TV Card and the Soundcard....?

Do I need to install a tool like dvblink, to feed the german cable Signal into Kodi, or are there alternatives?

Does Kodi Support series recording, like MCE did? Which Skins are suited the best for this Job, as the PVR function is the most important case for me!

Does EPG work?

Ubunto + Kodi or Openelec?

Does the Sleep mode work flawless?

Hmmm.... I know a lot of newbie questions.... Sorry for that!

Greetz, dppg3

Can somebody help me out with this one?
(2016-08-03, 08:27)dppg3 Wrote: Do I need to install a tool like dvblink, to feed the german cable Signal into Kodi, or are there alternatives?
There are several options for the "backend" http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software

(2016-08-03, 08:27)dppg3 Wrote: Does Kodi Support series recording, like MCE did?
I'm not sure whether it depends on the backend being used, but it does on my setup (windows, NextPVR backend). I've only ever used the default skin.

The EPG works fine, here in Australia. If your tv stations are transmitting it, you should have no trouble picking it up (again, not sure what part Kodi is doing and what the backend is doing).

As for whether your hardware will work, many cards/devices work straight off the bat, supported by the kernel. https://www.linuxtv.org has information about linux support for tv cards. You might need to search with your card's chipset to find it (if it's listed on the site). It seems there's good linux support for your soundcard (and this article is years old)
http://techgage.com/article/using_the_as...der_linux/

I wouldn't anticipate too much trouble, but if you want to be sure before you try installing, you can search for information. There might be "drivers" (if needed) on the manufacturers' sites.
Quote:Ubunto + Kodi or Openelec?

I would better ask: Ubuntu + Kodi or LibreELEC Wink. OpenELEC seems to be sleeping at the moment. There aren´t any updates and my guess is there won´t be any in the foreseeable future. So if you consider using one of those, I would recommend LibreELEC instead of OpenELEC.

The decision of using Ubuntu+Kodi or some *ELEC systems is simple. LibreELEC and OpenELEC are both read only systems. With Ubuntu you are able to use apt-get to install additional packages. That means, if you need additional software beside Kodi on your HTPC which isn´t available as docker or as an addon (only LibreELEC is able to handle dockers) you have to use Ubuntu+Kodi. If you don´t need additional software beside Kodi LibreELEC would be my way to go. PVR is nearly the same on all of them.

Quote:Does the Sleep mode work flawless?

Might depend on the distro you use. On Ubunut it works fine for me. But as you are using an SSD (which I guess you will boot from) and if your decision will end up on LibreELEC, it will boot in seconds. I never tested sleep mode on LibreELEC. It boots so fast, that I don´t see a reason for it. Everything else will depend on the Linux distro you will use.

Generally I don´t see a problem for the hardware being used with a Linux distro. Not 100% sure if the Asus Xonar will be supported on LibreELEC, tbh.
Hi all,

thanks for the great info!

I will need to use Sleep Mode for a full functional PVR, wich will wake up the machine prior to the recording...

Suppose I will be using LibreElec, how do I install a PVR backend, like DVBLink?

dppg3
(2016-08-03, 09:33)dppg3 Wrote: Suppose I will be using LibreElec, how do I install a PVR backend, like DVBLink?
There's a guide here about libreelecguide libreelec
Libreelec's wiki says it has its own repository. The guide says how to enable tvheadend, not sure how you'd go about installing/enabling DVBLink. Perhaps start with tvheadend?
librelec addons

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching to Kodi / Linux0