Recommendations for HTPC with Windows and S/PDIF
Hi,

As the title states I'm looking for a new HTPC with Windows OS and preferably a S/PDIF out. I'm currently using a Revo 85 with 32gb but feel like it is struggling sometimes so I'd like to look at what's around today and HTPC's that are high end CPU etc etc so they'll last a bit longer and be more future proof.

I've played with Android and just don't like it, it seems a pain to be able to the the simplest things and as such I would prefer to stay with Windows OS.

I'd prefer pre-built options, gone through all the zbox type options and most don't have S/PDIF and are 'barebones' which I just can't be bothered with.

S/PDIF is required as I has an old Marantz A/V which is working perfectly fine but has no HDMI passthrough but has S/PDIF ports (purchased in 2002).

I'm open to the idea of a proper PC, i.e.a tower will all the bell and whistles. A friend suggested something with an AMD A6 CPU? I don't mind if its setup is excessive for HTPC / Kodi.

Just trying to find something with really good hardware and disk space etc.

It will mainly be used as main HTPC but also as other things such as Dev platform for Kodi skinning, Github for the same and various other things connected to Kodi.

Any suggestions / recommendations are welcome, I've gone through the main threads but not seeing anything for my needs jump out at me so hence the reason for a separate thread.

Price range isn't a primary factor, but something in the hundred's and not thousands is preferred.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Mike.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
Find a suitable pc and add a usb sound card with spdif.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
How are the Mini Pc's like Minix Z64 or Nexbox A1
ADT-1 Developer Kit / Nvidia's Shield TV / Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' / Beelink GT1 / Amazon Fire TV 2 / Wetek Core / ODROID-C2 / Raspberry Pi 2 / Nexbox A5
(2016-08-10, 23:28)nickr Wrote: Find a suitable pc and add a usb sound card with spdif.

A -lot- of motherboards actually have build in TOSLINK and SPDIF support. I even have an Asus B85 board that while not having either on the IO plate, has a header for it, and a $10 bracket will hook up to the header and give you TOSLINK and SPDIF on the rear.
Good point DJ
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Little bit left-field, but Mac Mini is a prebuilt computer capable of Windows, and it has a 3.5mm jack which is actually a digital and analogue port. (All recent Macs with a 3.5mm port are digital ports)

I use this exact cable connected to the S/PDIF input on my receiver and I get proper 5.1 from Kodi.
I have a friend with a few of these. I set them up to work with his SageTV Server, but I also installed Kodi on it for him. Seems to do everything. Even comes with keyboard and mouse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaCent...enovo+q190
http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetail...goryid=543

More powerful version

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendations for HTPC with Windows and S/PDIF0