v17 Playback problems
It would be nice if the issue was not dropped. I don't think my installalsion is contaminated in that way. I posted my log in post #15.
Hi Zaister,

Pretty sure this issue (mine anyway) is wrapped up with V17 and the audio 'no passthrough' issue.
There's a few threads discussion it - take a read of this one.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287747

I'd dropped back to Jarvis to get the FireTV working again for the family, but I took the time today to do a clean install and test.
Same issue when passthrough is enabled, and playback issues disappear when passthrough is disabled.

It's not ideal, but at least functionality is restored.
the issue seems to be fixed in the latest nightly build (20160904)
Choppy playback from 1080i dvb-t. Audio out of sync. Deinterlacing seems to be not working. It's bad, very bad. Hardware: oneplus one, Android 6.0.1. Kodi 17 beta1
Nice. I have the one plus x, Android 5. Working fine.

Go and file a bug with your vendor, that way we get all the shitty and non compliant fw of the streets. Thanks for your help!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well, I'm not blaming beta versions. Just tried by curiosity how it works and I'm not impressed. I hope issues are going to be fixed, all the more so Snapdragon platform has good support (right?) - it's not any Chinese crap. You keep refusing any specific support for cheap chinese SoCs (I can partially understand reasons), however this time hardware is mainstream and well supported.
What?

Kodi supports standards and not boxes. These standards are Mediacodec for video decoding and Audiotrack API for audio processing. It's totally "box transparent". If they provide proper firmware, kodi will run - if not - not. That's quite easy, isn't it? All they have to do is: Verify if the standard API works - nothing else.

You would never ever get the idea to implement Foobaar33 API on windows and then complain that DXVA is not working and this is something they need to get in their brains. Private API hacks won't be supported in any way.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Before I forget: MediaCodec does not (!) support Deinterlacing. It is purely chip / vendor / fw dependend. If they implement it in the Surface Path - that's totally their responsibility. There is _no_ way of using MediaCodec for deinterlacing - it does not exist.

In Short: If you want to watch interlaced content - don't go with an Android device, as its API has no support for it. Even "the shield" has broken theirs in latest firmware and it's broken since many months now, with no fix announced.

And what now?
All of that works on Kodi 16, including deinterlacing. Deinterlacing works even on Rockchip hardware, with Kodi16 / SPMC. Perhaps, not via Mediacodec (software?). But I have never been interested how it works exactly, since it just works. Actually, deintralacing problem is something new for me, I have never experienced it. And who said deinterlacing MUST be done via Mediacodec? Any modern cpu should be strong enough to perform it without Mediacodec (but Mediacodec MUST be used to decode video). It seems this is how it works currently on Kodi 16? Or not?

BTW, It seems to me that Mediacodec is not working at all in my case (on OnePlus One). It just uses only SW decoding for my dvb-t streams and this is reason of poor performance. I can also capture debug log if it helps? But again - Kodi 16 has no problems, it uses MediaCodec and playback is smootch
a) The way v16 deinterlaced is still there in v17, just disable the new feature MediaCodec (Surface).
b) There is no API to transfer decoded surfaces back into memory to do CPU deinterlacing
c) The v16 way works in the render, while only supporting really cheap deinterlacing methods BOB / BOB Invert
(2016-09-07, 08:57)fritsch Wrote: c) The v16 way works in the render, while only supporting really cheap deinterlacing methods BOB / BOB Invert
Well, it's more than nothing...
And that's still there in v17. Even untouched - as no one maintains Android's Renderer at the moment.
Are you sure it's untouched? You mentioned BOB / BOB Invert but I have Linear / Linear invert choices.
Some translators going foobar:-)
(2016-09-07, 12:15)fritsch Wrote: Some translators going foobar:-)

Could be that the strings aren't updated yet besides English
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback problems0