Hardware Help - USB or Mini-PCIe Tv Tuner?
Hi there,

It has been a long time since I posted - my setup has been running nicely since 2013 but i've recently hit a snag.

My setup:

InWin K1 HTPC Case
H873-TI Mini ITX (THIN) MB
i3-4130 4th Gen/Haswell
8GB Ram
80GB mini-pcie SD HD
250GB HD

No discreet video card.

Running: Win7/Kodi/Steam Big Picture

Screen: Panasonic TC-P55ST55 (still rocks)

Now - here's my issue. I recently cut cable and went OTA. I've been watching through the the TVs built-in ATSC tuner, but I'd like to have it all run through the HTPC.

Option one: Get a Tablo or other network streaming box. Obvious solution, but pricey.

Option two: Get a USB or mini PCIe Tuner for the box (there's room, especially if the SD HD is a 1/2 card - I can't remember off hand) - thing is I have no idea which to get.

I have ZERO interest in DVR - had it before and never used it. There will be a second TV coming eventually - in a year or two - when I renovate the living room. EDIT: That TV may have a ROKU or other similar box.

I need some advice. My research has me more confused than anything else.

Thanks,

Aberto2k
A raspberry Pi running openelec or libreelec would be a cheap way to support a USB tuner via tvheadend. Expandable to pretty much any streaming device around the house then as opposed to just the Windows PC.

I use tvheadend on my synology nas and it works great feeding 5 kodi clients around the house.
If you're in ATSC-land, also worth looking at SiliconDust HDHomeRun Ethernet tuners. They allow you to access your tuners over the network, and there are ways of viewing the streams on numerous platforms - not just within Kodi or by using TV Headend (though you can use TV Headend with them)
Hdhr tuners are in no way limited to atsc. They support dvb-t and -c.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Help - USB or Mini-PCIe Tv Tuner?0