Why I Won't Use KODI
In the end Kodi is a media player
If I got out and buy a DVD and rip it to my hard drive, it doesn't matter what what media player i'm using, you still need to find the file, and hopefully give it a suitable name so I can find it to play it.

In the case of a DVD, you can stick the disc into the computer and use Kodi as a DVD player in its own right, however Kodi isn't very powerful when used in this way

A lot of people aren't bothered, or inclined to do this.  They will buy discs to use in a standalone player, or otherwise use online services like Amazon or Netflix.  Kodi in this regard is niche, and thats fine with me.  If you wanna watch stuff with zero effort, its hard to knock watching a movie on Netflix - I do that myself.

Most of the 'issues' I tend to see are people who come along here having downloaded a build or some dodgy addons from a YouTube video becuase they want free movies/TV without paying.  It breaks, they have issues and suddenly Kodi is at fault, as in their eyes as Kodi is only for streaming their (illegal) movies and TV.
This thread was also awoken yesterday from a 2 year sleep... Wink
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-10-15, 13:10)jools5000 Wrote: In the end Kodi is a media player
If I got out and buy a DVD and rip it to my hard drive, it doesn't matter what what media player i'm using, you still need to find the file, and hopefully give it a suitable name so I can find it to play it.

In the case of a DVD, you can stick the disc into the computer and use Kodi as a DVD player in its own right, however Kodi isn't very powerful when used in this way

A lot of people aren't bothered, or inclined to do this.  They will buy discs to use in a standalone player, or otherwise use online services like Amazon or Netflix.  Kodi in this regard is niche, and thats fine with me.  If you wanna watch stuff with zero effort, its hard to knock watching a movie on Netflix - I do that myself.

Most of the 'issues' I tend to see are people who come along here having downloaded a build or some dodgy addons from a YouTube video becuase they want free movies/TV without paying.  It breaks, they have issues and suddenly Kodi is at fault, as in their eyes as Kodi is only for streaming their (illegal) movies and TV.
 this might be of interest for your dvds if you do not want to rip them https://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I'm in the 60s.  I can agree, but I believe you are the exception to the rule.  The rule is, most 70 year aged are not going to learn this.
The day this becomes Kodi for Seniors is the day I stop using this.
(2018-10-16, 02:19)Warner306 Wrote: The day this becomes Kodi for Seniors is the day I stop using this.
 you'll probably BE a senior by then Tongue
(2018-10-16, 21:42)Mnementh Wrote:
(2018-10-16, 02:19)Warner306 Wrote: The day this becomes Kodi for Seniors is the day I stop using this.
 you'll probably BE a senior by then Tongue 
With usage of 'depends' Smile will get him through the day.
 I'd argue that Kodi IS for 'Seniors'.  It's primarily oriented towards local playback, despite a lot of add ons that try to pretend otherwise.  Meanwhile 'the kids' these days stream everything. Tongue
If you having HTPC problems I feel bad for you son 
I got ninety nine problems but Kodi ain't one...
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2018-10-18, 15:23)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
 I'd argue that Kodi IS for 'Seniors'.  It's primarily oriented towards local playback, despite a lot of add ons that try to pretend otherwise.  Meanwhile 'the kids' these days stream everything. Tongue

Although at some point in the future some of the kids might get a nasty shock when stuff they think they "own" becomes unavailable to them on the whim of their provider, whereas we old farts will just go the shelf and get a DVD/BluRay down, or play it back from the rip thereof on our local servers...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-10-19, 13:47)DarrenHill Wrote: Although at some point in the future some of the kids might get a nasty shock when stuff they think they "own" becomes unavailable to them on the whim of their provider, whereas we old farts will just go the shelf and get a DVD/BluRay down, or play it back from the rip thereof on our local servers...

They all laughed when I spent $3400 CAD on anime BluRays in one year, but who's laughing now in the internet apocalypse? :V

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why I Won't Use KODI0