Solved Increase Skin Interface ZOOM range to -50%
(2016-09-20, 21:56)Memphiz Wrote: @wkjoe we could change that setting range by default in kodi but i think you are the only user here which benefits from it ...

While taken literally, your statement is certainly correct (I am the ONLY one here, in THIS thread), I think taken generally it is not true.

I suspect there are a number of users who have 2.35:1 movie screens and 16:9 projectors. Almost all home theater projectors sold are 16:9. And several models from several manufacturers have "lens memory" in order to easily change the zoom settings around to do just what I am doing.

No argument that people with 16:9 movie screens probably outnumber those with 2.35:1 movie screens. But the ones with 2.35:1 movie screens are clearly NOT a tiny number, because otherwise you would not have Epson, JVC, and Panasonic building projectors with lens memory to be used for just this sort of thing (that is just off the top of my head...I think Sony also has some projector models with lens memory but I am not certain on that). I think there is a fair-sized user base of movie aficionados who have 2.35:1 movie screens and 16:9 projectors. It really is the best way to watch a movie in your home theater (without breaking the bank).

By the way, I am not the first XBMC/Kodi user to ask for the range to be expanded. Here is another I found:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=34652

Fortunately, it seems the Kodi code has come a long way since then. He was told the change would require a recompilation. But now, all that is required is changing some values in a .XML file.
(2016-09-20, 22:06)Ned Scott Wrote: In other words, your videos are encoded with the black bars? Because I did comment on that:

Had you clarified that I would then tell you to use the Pixel Ratio adjustment (in the on-screen video settings during video playback) to compensate for the bars, which is a slight hassle, but still makes more sense than using the freakin' GUI zoom setting.

So yeah, nuts to you. Don't you tell me I don't know what a damn anamorphic lens is..

No, you are still confused. I did NOT tell you that you don't know what an anamorphic lens is. I am NOT using an anamorphic lens. That is expensive and a hassle to use. I am just using the zoom (and shift) on my projector to change the image size and position on the movie screen.

Once again, you are wrong that the skin interface zoom is not what I want. The fact is that it is EXACTLY what I want. It does EXACTLY what I need, now that I can set it to -27%. It makes perfect sense.

Using the "Pixel Ratio adjustment" cannot do what I need. It simply cannot do it. No settings in Kodi that adjust the size or position of the VIDEO frame will do what I need. What I need is to adjust the skin interface zoom. That works perfectly, and is the optimal solution to the problem I posted about.

Fortunately, Memphiz provided me with exactly the information I needed in order to set the skin interface zoom to -27%. So you can stop trying to understand it now (or, if you are really interested, you should re-read carefully what I have written, and then maybe peruse the forums at avsforum.com so you can learn about this kind of setup). Just take my word for it that I know what I am doing, and I have set up my system to achieve the best quality video possible given the hardware that I have.
If there is a misunderstanding here I will gladly put my foot in my mouth, but could you please stop insisting that I don't comprehend the concepts of video projection? I used be a theater tech, and then there's the 10 or so years of Kodi experience I have, which includes at least 5 years of closely documenting the very settings we're talking about.

You want to keep adjusting adjust the GUI to match the different video aspect ratios and not just one single setting, yes? You are using this as some kind of on-the-fly "toggle"? Are we on the same page now, or are you going to insult me some more?

What you've described really isn't as clear as you seem to think it is. Most people, including those using projectors, aren't looking to constantly adjust the GUI when going between different aspect ratios, as the GUI is rarely seen during a movie (just pauses and such), so it's not that common. To the point where I made the mistaken assumption that you must be talking about something else.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry for that assumption and for being so hostile. Just understand that when you, a new user who we don't know, comes here to ask for our help with an edge case, people are probably going to be skeptical at first about what you are doing. Which is not to say that it's a bad idea, just very unusual.
(2016-09-21, 00:00)Ned Scott Wrote: You want to keep adjusting adjust the GUI to match the different video aspect ratios and not just one single setting, yes?

No. I am leaving it at -27% all the time.

I did not insult you. Saying that you do not understand what I am doing with my system is not an insult. You were the one who used words such as "retarded".

I am aware that I haven't posted here before this thread. That is why I explained in great detail what I was doing, so people could go by my words instead of by my past history. We obviously disagree on how clear my explanation is. I think that if you reread what I wrote in this thread carefully (from the beginning), you will find that it is clear. My sense is that you jumped to an incorrect conclusion about what I was doing without carefully reading my explanation, and then became increasingly frustrated and angry when I told you that you had misunderstood what I was doing.

Anyway, as I have said several times now, my problem is solved, so there is no need to keep rehashing it.

Well, except I am concerned that when I upgrade Kodi, it may overwrite the settings.xml file that I modified. I wonder if there is a way for me to put an override of the default settings.xml file in some user .xml file so that my changes will survive an upgrade of Kodi.
no worries - i will try to get it into krypton.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-09-21, 11:06)Memphiz Wrote: no worries - i will try to get it into krypton.

Thank you!
Thread marked solved.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-09-20, 04:20)wkjoe Wrote: To compensate, I use the Skin interface ZOOM, and set it to -20%. This helps, but it is not enough, since there is still a little bit cropped off. I estimate that I need about -26% or -28% in order to have all of the Kodi user interface visible when my projector lens is zoomed to 2.35:1.

Thanks man...this option worked a treat for me!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Increase Skin Interface ZOOM range to -50%0