v17 wasapi exclusive mode isnt.
since 17b2 wasapi audio isnt taking exclusive access of audio for me in win10 anniv, even when set to keep the device alive constantly.
Other windows sounds/notifications/alerts are mixed in the same as in directsound mode.

Anyone else seeing?
There's a lot of settings, but I wanted to answer as to my experience. Krypton seems to behave as expected, I pulled up an win media player while playing some nice music in Kodi, and the windows disallowance requester popped up, said Kodi had it exclusively. The GUI sounds played through regardless. Can you give the exact settings and I'll try and replicate.
Ive done a load of testing today between my machine and a pre win10anniv laptop, it seems to be new behaviour in Win10anniv.
On the laptop set to wasapi no other sounds come through at all while playing music, just as it was on my machine pre anniv.
On the win10anniv box windows own sounds will come through at the same time. It still seems to be in exclusive mode in that no other programs audio comes through, but windows sounds now do.
Both the same realtek chipsets, using the same drivers, output settings and devices. Happens over both HDMI and analogue out.

Easiest way to test is to do the windows playback devices speaker test while playing back audio in kodi. Pre anniv you wont hear the test, post you will.

So it would appear to not be a kodi issue as such, but is it something that can be compensated for in kodi? At the volume I play music a Discord msg or something is enough to blow me face off Smile Between that and the pad vibrate on alerts (i pass through notifications using yatse remote) I'm going to need nappies soon haha
I'm not sure how you're connecting, when I test out my system audio alerts come from the analog amp local to the PC, not through the AVR. Stopping the system audio would just be a matter of turning down or muting the system sound, while the AVR handles the main stream digital signal. I do see your issue, but suspect it may have more to do with your audio set-up/drivers if the system audio is coming through Waspi. Try and lower the volume of the system with windows internal control.
Edit: Sussed it Big Grin Just noticed the realtek hd audio manager was running in taskman but not showing its tasktray icon. Killed it off, sorted, everything acting as it should. Should have guessed. So it looks like the realteks need updating for win10anniv. Thanks for ya time man, ignore the rest Smile

-------

Ok my setup is this: PC, win10anniv, up to date, HDMI out to Sony AVR @ 5.1 or alternatively analogue (3x3.5mm) 5.1 out to Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 speaker set for testing in case it was an AVR prob.

In testing today I have used a laptop with the same audio chipset that hasnt been updated to win10anniv, still running 1511, and the same two output arrangements.

Im running windows at 24/192 out, have kodi set to best match, best qual etc as I always have. The kodi side is all set up fine, been doing this a while now (check my join date). For testing I was using vanilla installs of the official beta2 and the latest nightly and just quickly setting kodi up but i am 100% certain I have missed nothing nor mis set anything in the kodi options. Double and triple checked settings everywhere before testing. Analogue speakers are dumb, no settings, AVR side is set up as always was.

Exclusive is truly exclusive in 1511. When kodi is set to keep the audio device alive permanently it lets no other audio through, no 3pty audio, no windows notification sounds etc
Under win10anniv all windows sounds and notification sounds from IM apps etc still come through on the wasapi channel as they would only do usually under directsound. Passthru is obviously unaffected.

You are right in that I can just mute the windows sound via windows own mixer, its a ballache but it works. But that would suggest wasapi is being passed through the windows mixer, like directsound, and isnt giving pure output. If that is the case then surely wasapi just ceased having a purpose and we arent getting "pure" sound from kodi any more?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
wasapi exclusive mode isnt.0