Linux HDMI wake up on TV input changes
Hey, I have an issue that is common with 2 graphic cards. I have an HTPC connect via HDMI to LG TV with Nvidia GTX 1060. Previously I was on Raddeon HD 5x.

When I boot my computer on the right TV input, all is fine. If I swap my TV input quickly from one to another all is fine.

If I let my computer lay down for a while come back, open my TV or switch inputs, screen stays black. Nothing I can do (keyboard press keys, lircd remote keys, etc) it stays black. BUT, if I reboot my PC, the kodi shutdown plymouth is waking up my TV (I can see the screen when the computer is shutting down) and everything shows on TV after.

Is there a way I can send a wake up call to my TV so I could hook it up on a remote button for exemple?

I tried to put my TV edid in my xorg config and still doing it. (http://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using..._xorg.conf)
It is very hard to debug since I don't know when it happens and how long I need to wait for it, it is kind of random.

Before my computer was plugged into a AV Receiver and I had kind of the same bug, but switching back and forth between different inputs was kind of fixing the problems. Now that it is directly into TV, nothing I can do else than reboot

Kodibuntu is based on Lubuntu 14.04LTS
tell the kernel option video Like video=HDMI-A-2:1920x1080@60D

video=<conn>:<xres>x<yres>[M][R][-<bpp>][@<refresh>][i][m][eDd]

<conn>: Connector, e.g. HDMI-A-2, see /sys/class/drm/ for available connectors
<xres> x <yres>: resolution
M: compute a CVT mode?
R: reduced blanking?
-<bpp>: color depth
@<refresh>: refresh rate
i: interlaced (non-CVT mode)
m: margins?
e: output forced to on
d: output forced to off
D: digital output forced to on (e.g. HDMI connector)

you can also specify the kernel to use instead edid xorg
sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/edid
sudo cp /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-2/edid /lib/firmware/edid/edid.bin

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-2:edid/edid.bin video=HDMI-A-2:e"

or

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-2:edid/edid.bin video=HDMI-A-2:e video=LVDS-1:d"
for dual card
video=HDMI-A-2 primary

sudo update-grub

Please excuse me if I do not understand the problem
My English is bad , I understand that you have a problem with the TV off
@sovababy:
Won't work for nvidia binary blob.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
This is due to a late start ?. KMS is typically initialized after the initramfs stage. You must use mkinitсpio.
add to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES = "nvidia nvidia-modeset"
FILES = "/usr/lib/firmware/edid/your_edid.bin"

For work?
My opinion. In most cases, nouveau More than enough for kodi .
Are you using a hdmi 2.0? I had this same issue while plugged into a hdmi2 port, changed ports and all is fixed. Still sucks as I built the machine for 4k and can't really use it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1308105

At the time everyone seemed convinced it was and xfce issue that unity was using, tried changing that and still didn't work, switched completely to gnomebuntu and still no work. I haven't gone back to looking into the issue in a couple of months but this post has jogged my memory.
hehe this problem is going to drive me crazy. It was also doing it with my raddeon. Yes it is hdmi 2.0 and my tv as only 2.0 inputs duh

my solution is to press the middle button of my remote (lirc) as fast as possible as many time as need while changing inputs hehe.. looks like it works some time, if not, I need to press ctrl-alt-f1 ctrl-alt-f7 a doozen of time and it finish by showing up.. well it stinks, but at least I don't have to reboot haha..

But I always had problem with linux and tv inputs. ubuntu or old tv, or with amp.. there is always some weird issues to counter it. like switching inputs a cople of times etc.

I will try to disable the hotplug event in xorg and see if it happens again, if it fixes it, I'll let you know. It is just hard to know if it will works, might take a while
Yeah, like i said I changed it to a regular HDMI port and it works as it should.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI wake up on TV input changes0