Recording broadcast TV
I am a recent cord cutter, I use playstation vue for a few things, but there are others I receive over antenna.
With playstation vue I can use the service to record programming, but have no current way to do the same with antenna broadcasts.
Is the Rpi 2/3 powerful enough to do that with a USB tuner? I did a little searching, but don't really get the difference between a PVR/DVR/etc.

I see a lot of support issues with PVR apps on this forum (TVHeadend, etc) are those strictly for playing, or also recording on the RPI?

Can I record broadcast TV at a decent quality with a RPI2 or 3 and a USB TV tuner, or do I need to use a more powerful system, and if the RPI can do it, what USB Tuner is recommended for compatibility and performance? Does the Pi or the TV Tuner do the actual encoding?
My setup is Using Windows 7 and using Microsoft Media Center to record TV shows in HD then they get scanned automatically by MCEBuddy who removes all the commercial then it moves the Show to its own folder on My network Drive. My Drive is WD MyCloud then all my TV's have Rasperry Pi's with kodi. I use the kodi auto update tool which it scans twice a day !

As for a Tuner I would look into HDhomeRun that will let all your TV's watch live tv on kodi

P.S. You will have to get Mpeg license from Raspberry Pi foundation its around $ 4.00 per Pi
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Pi connects to a compatible USB TV Tuner and then most people run free backend (PVR) software called TV Headend that takes care of the Tuning, EPG, Recoding if you connect a Linux formatted HDD + more. In up to 1080i HD quality.

You don't need a powerful, expensive system to do this at all. Even a Pi Zero would work if you can feed everything enough power.

Once the backend PVR TvHeadend server is taken care of you are free to choose any Hardware platform of your liking that can do proper deinterlacing of TV streams. All these TV streams can be Nework distributed around the house to various Kodi boxes.

TvHeadend Timeshifting is not that reliable at all last time I looked compared to a full blown retail PVR. I don't use Timeshift, but just record everything and skip through Ads, etc that way.

Please put your Location on the planet into your details via the User Control Panel (top left) as Digital TV hardware is different depending on which part of the world you are from.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recording broadcast TV0