Cannot get Kore to connect with Kodi on HP laptop
My first experience with Kore is when I installed the app on both my Samsung smartphone and tablet. I had set up Kodi as instructions state and for both Kore apps the connection to Kodi went flawless. The Kodi program is on my HP laptop with Windows 7.

Unable to use my laptop while watching Kodi, I installed Kodi on my wife's HP laptop running Windows 10 and changed all settings to match mine. I then tried to add a new profile to Kore to be able to control her Kodi. Not only did it not find the media server automatically, but manual entry of network information into Kore also did not elicit a connection. I tried with both my phone Kore and tablet Kore to get a connection and couldn't. I went into Windows 10 and turned the firewall off for both private and public connections but still no luck. I figured maybe the problem was that Kore could only have one profile so I installed the Kore app on my wife's Samsung phone and while running Kodi on her laptop tried to get a connection. Still no luck. With the firewall shut off and not being able to connect I am at a loss what the problem may be. But I'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon of those believing Windows 10 is the culprit. I thought maybe it might have to do with whatever media player Windows 10 uses, because my understanding is Microsoft did away with Windows Media Player for Win10.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get as running Kodi without a remote is a little inconvenient.
All network diagnosis starts with ping. Can your phone ping the w10 laptop?

Really useful network tool on Android phones is Fing. Does Fing see the W10 laptop? What ports does it say are open?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-10-18, 06:42)nickr Wrote: All network diagnosis starts with ping. Can your phone ping the w10 laptop?

Really useful network tool on Android phones is Fing. Does Fing see the W10 laptop? What ports does it say are open?

Nick, I don't know what happened to a reply I had posted but it gives me the chance to update. My lost reply stated that Fing could see the laptop but not only did it not show the laptop name but would not ping it. Every time I tried to ping her laptop, Fing would freeze and I would have to force close it in Settings. Anyway, after I posted that I tried to find out what adapter settings could be made and while I was at that, thought about Network Sharing. I ended up going into sharing and turning things on and then went to Windows Firewall and enabled a bunch of stuff for Private mode. I again ran Fing and this time it showed me the laptop name. I was happy and optimistic that a ping would work. It didn't and this time it froze my tablet, not just the app. I had to restart the tablet. So back I was at firewall settings, matching hers to mine. I also tried the one thing I should have probably done first; I turned off the WiFi adapter and turned it back on. Again and I tried Fing and ... IT PINGED!! Thrilled, I started Kodi on her laptop and ran Kore and a search yielded ... no media servers found. I was devastated but I decided to at least try the manual configuration. I typed in the media name, network address, and port and pressed test. This time I was not so optimistic but ... it connected. It works like a champ now.

I really need to thank you because even though your first step in resolving the problem was to run a ping, following up on that issue got this old brain working and thinking about some of the other things involved with network connectivity and sharing. Had you not replied I would still be waiting for someone else to solve my problem for me. Thank you for that and for mentioning Fing. It is a nice little app.

Dave
Fing has an option to scan for services - what does it show on the laptop with kodi running?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot get Kore to connect with Kodi on HP laptop0