Streaming high bitrate video on Android TV
Lightbulb 
I stressed my Sony KD-55XD8505 by streaming some high bitrate encodes, using the jellyfish encodes up to 140mbps (17.5MB/s) (HEVC Main10 Level 5.1) for this purpose.

The MediaTek MT7612 WiFi controller inside the Sony supports up to 802.11ac WiFi with 2x2 MIMO rated at 867mbps. A bottleneck which limits theoretical bandwidth to about 200-300mbps right away is that the WiFi controller seems to internally be wired to the SoC via USB 2.0.

I first tried to play the sample off of a fast USB 3.0 HDD in order to verify that the MediaTek MT5890 inside the Sony is capable of decoding HEVC Main10 Level 5.1. I also stress-tested my network infrastructure (Synology NAS, Gibt Ethernet Switch, WiFi Access Point) to rule out any potential bottleneck. All tests went well with the network achieving a stable 300-400mbps over 802.11ac at the same distance as the Sony, pretty much depending on the used protocol.

The sample was streamed from a DLNA Server running on the Synology NAS. As DLNA Player on the Sony I used Kodi, but also verified the results with the native Video player.

Buffers ran dry several times while playing the 140mbps sample. 20mbps and 90mbps samples played smoothly. Sustainable bitrate is probably somewhere around 100mbps. Hard to say who is to blame here. But it might very well be a WiFi or performance problem on the Sony.

I also tried to play the sample off of an NFS share on the Synology NAS from within Kodi which interestingly yielded even less throughput than DLNA. That’s probably an issue with Kodi/Android and NFS performance though.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
This is a pretty unrealistic test as 140mbps is well outside real life bitrates.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The reason why I did that was to comply with the Blu-ray Ultra HD specs. But I agree that we will most probably not see such high bitrates in the wild.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming high bitrate video on Android TV0