v16 on AFTV2 2160p (4K) content is downscaled
Question 
Hi everyone!

Currently I'm running into an issue concerning Kodi Jarvis 16.1 which seems to downscale native 2160p content.
But first let me explain my setup:

- Display is a Samsung SUHD KS8000 TV
- Player is an Amazon Fire TV (2nd. Gen) 4K capable running Kodi Jarvis 16.1
- Content is provided by a NAS connected over Gigabit-LAN

Network is connected by cable (no WiFi) and streaming of content works fine.
2160p content (e.g. YouTube) was already displayed correctly from AFTV2 using the YT-App. TV-information also shows correct resolution.

Now, if I run Kodi and stream native 2160p content (which is correctly recognized/marked by Kodi as 4K) the TV tells me, it is still 1080p resolution on screen.
Yes, I do now the Kodi GUI is still rendered in 1080p therefor this could be the reason why the TV keeps telling me the resolution is 1080p during playback.
I also read about Kodi being able to display-switch properly at the start of the content, so it should be 2160p nontheless, BUT I was still suspicious and found this thread here in the Kodi-forum by Koying.

So, I downloaded the Test-Video and first put it on an USB-Stick.
Connected the stick directly to my TV and used the TV's own player to check the Test-Video and it showed it as described correctly so I was able to read the purple line.
Next I've stored the Test-Video on my NAS to stream it with Kodi. Doing so I ended up having a picture in which I couldn't read the purple line (looking garbled like in the thread shown).

So my conclusion is, that Kodi somehow does do a downscale on my 2160p (4K) content...

Does anyone have a proper solution to this issue because loss of quality is never an option!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this and help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Base

P.S. Because I never had the chance to state this out: big THANKS to everyone working on Kodi! Amazing job! Really love it!
As far as I know (it might have changed), Kodi still doesn't have the AFTV-specific code for 4K video. SPMC and MrMC (forks of Kodi) do have this.
Alright, so maybe I'll give the forks a shot. Hope to see this being addressed in maybe the Krypton release.
it's correct. We don't have that patch yet.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks for the confirmation, Martijn.
But I guess I can still look forward to future kodi releases regarding this, right?
(2016-10-21, 14:02)Martijn Wrote: it's correct. We don't have that patch yet.

If mrMc and koying are open source how come kodi has not gone to github website and grabbed the source code?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
on AFTV2 2160p (4K) content is downscaled0