Solved Random Machine Gun ??? sounds from Speaker ???
Hi everyone.
Sorry, but I have no other way to describe this issue (thread topic).

Everything that we watch on our Kodi 16 TV box comes from our external media drive which is connected to a Linux machine. The Kodi 16 box has Android 5.1 and we're using the Kodi SSH settings in order to access the media files on the Linux machine.

Our Sound is a 5.1 Sub-woofer setup with 4 speakers, 1 sub-woofer, and 1 center speaker. Since we also have a Satellite Box (very common in Europe) with an HDMI cable as well as the Kodi TV box with an HDMI cable, we elected to have the speakers connected directly to the TV, so regardless if we watch on the TV box or the Satellite, the sound will always come out through the speakers. HereS' the problem which we can't duplicate because it appears to be completely random ...
(it can be duplicated, but not in the same way with the same files) Confused

We're sitting in the livingroom, watching a movie that we selected from the external drive ... no problem.
At some point we decide to watch a TV show from that drive ... also no problem.
Sometimes just movies, other times just TV shows ... no problem.

And in between watching, right at the start of a movie or a TV show, all of a sudden the speakers just go nuts with "machine gun like" sounds coming from the speakers. Loud enough to make a person darn near jump out of their chair. Once this audio issue begins, there's no turning it off for that particular media file. If we close the file and start watching another one, the problem is gone. If we go back to that first file, the problem will re-appear.

HOWEVER ... if we try that same file a day later, there may not be an audio issue at all.

This has been driving us nuts and Kodi's audio settings don't exactly help since they're apparently designed for "Audio Pros" who are familiar with all of the terminology such as Passthrough, PCMI, and so on. We couldn't find a single setting with something simple like ... "Use this option for external speakers connected to your TV" ... "Use this option for external speakers with surround sound (5.1 & 7.1) functions that are connected to your TV" ... "Use this option if your media device uses a headphone jack for external speakers" ... and so on.
There are just too many settings to get lost with.

Any idea what could be causing those speaker issues? Luckily our speaker setup is fairly powerful so the speakers haven't blown yet. That machine gun sound is just unbelievable. Thanks for any helpful advice.

Have you looked at the audio quickstart guide (wiki) page; and please upload a debug log (wiki) if you'd like the support team to investigate the audio issue
Have you moved your cellphones well away from the speakers...?
Dive behind the Sofa and make sure you are wearing a bullet proof vest ! Wink

It's fixed. I have no idea how the settings got screwed up, but I went into the Kodi settings and (Expert Mode) and changed all of the audio output modes in Video, TV, and System back to their default settings. Then I powered the TV box off, followed by powering it back on ... and everything was fine. Big Grin

OMG I'm having the SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE!! I will fall asleep to a tv show and have it end, only to be violently woken up by these machine-gun type noises you describe. Like quick, randomly timed spurts of extremely loud distortion. So just go into video and audio settings and reset all to default? Simple as that? I know its been years but maybe you'll get an email on this reply and see this lol.
Turn off: "Send low volume noise" in audio settings and retry.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random Machine Gun ??? sounds from Speaker ???0