'Add source' does not work
I installed Kodi 16.1 from the Play Store three times now and can't get SYSTEM/File manager/Add source to work. When I select 'Add source' =NOTHING= happens! All tutorials I have looked at show a new dialog box showing up as 'Add Files source' and my system doesn't. Clueless.......

BeeLink S82B MediaBox running Android 4.4.2

-Ken-
Adding media sources (wiki)

Please be aware that a depressing amount of the 3rd party YouTube "tutorials" will just lead you into banned add-ons (wiki) which violate our forum rules (wiki). This can cause all sorts of problems and issues/instability on your system, and their presence will mean that no support at all is offered here, with the sole exception of their removal.

We wise before you get ensnared if that is the path you're considering.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for the reply, DarrenHill.

Interesting - and not immediately apparent to the average cable cutter since there are tons of videos showing how to do IPTV.. So, the big question is - can I use Kodi for IPTV? Please make this answer abundantly clear. If, for the most part, the answer is NO then I guess I will go back to my Roku which seems to provide plenty of alternative IPTV watching.

-Ken-
Depends on your "Dealer" in Denmark you can use kodi for IPTV "LEGAL" sorry the video support thread is no ill drop that subject
as i said depends on your "Dealer"
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
You can use Kodi for IPTV (the IPTV Simple client even comes built-in). What we do not provide is any media sources, including those for IPTV.

Adding those is entirely down to you, and is entirely your responsibility. You can even use the illegal stuff if you wish, that is entirely your decision and responsibility - we do not tell you what you can and cannot do with Kodi. What we do reserve the right to do is to not support illegal usage, and to make things clear as to what exactly a user is doing and what repercussions may come of that.

Here the key points are that the user is doing whatever they are doing with a good and clear understanding of all of the above, and are not having decisions made for them by using 3rd party builds or add-ons which just install the banned add-ons (wiki) without any explanation or indeed representation that they are "free and legal" which they are not (at least legal anyway).

Also we want people to understand what comes from us (Team Kodi) and what comes from 3rd party sources. We make the media player itself, but we do not promote or condone anything that uses such illegal pirated sources. Unfortunately what you say is all too true about it sometimes not being so clear, a point which is done deliberately by some of the YouTube hucksters and other sites around the net who want to make use of (and drag down) Kodi's good name to peddle their illegal wares.

If you have legal and legitimate sources on your Roku then you'll probably find similar ones available for Kodi. But if your used sources on the Roku are just as illegal as those you've seen by the 3rd party add-ons for Kodi, then you may want to have a wider think about things and perhaps look into something like a PVR (wiki) subscription or similar more legitimate source like Play On.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
-kimki Thanks for trying to be helpful but I do not understand "dealer." I bought a BeeLink Android Media Box from Amazon. The "dealer" for me doesn't have anything to do with my operation of the device. I installed Kodi on my own.

-DarrenHill Thank you for your explanation. It helps - somewhat. You say an IPTV Simple Client is built-in but then it appears there are no pointers to legitimate sources. That is not helpful. If there are so many illegal sources then how can that be. Seems they should be vigorously prosecuted. These issues are missing from the discussion. It's like, "Ssssshhhhhhh - don't talk about it and until somebody decides to put the kibosh on all this we can go ahead and get these resources for free. It's kind of an open secret, isn't it? So open that many noobies don't seem to know any better.

Well, this is discouraging. I'm not really interested in hosting my own media server. I'm interested in IPTV - so I am losing interest in Kodi. And, I am a cable cutter. CABLE - too much crap and too much money. I'll need encouragement to continue, so - what can you say to me?

-Ken-
Kodi was build for managing your OWN media. Yes it is possible to use it for things like IP TV and streaming but especially the streaming part is a touchy subject here at this forum. If you are only interested in Kodi for streaming of the (for the most past) illegal content, you should try a different website for help or use a different piece of software
(2016-10-28, 08:10)kenj66 Wrote: Well, this is discouraging. I'm not really interested in hosting my own media server. I'm interested in IPTV - so I am losing interest in Kodi. And, I am a cable cutter. CABLE - too much crap and too much money. I'll need encouragement to continue, so - what can you say to me?

-Ken-

Ken,

I'm really not sure what else we can tell you.

IPTV is merely an alternative transport medium for receiving live streaming content such as broadcast TV channels. Many services provide their content to customers this way as an alternative to traditional broadcast, in fact many cable boxes are now IPTV under the hood.

The misconception is that it is a gateway to get the premium channels you are paying for but for free. Of course this does happen but it's illegal.

You say you are want to be a cable cutter because you are paying too much money for what you're watching. If you are looking to access the premium channels you are currently paying for but for free then as stated we cannot help you.

If you are looking an alternate way of watching TV then there are certain broadcasters that have an IPTV presence (dependent on where you live) and some of them have legitimate Kodi add-ons to access them. For example here in the UK we can watch most of our terrestrial channels live in high quality over internet streams. If you give an an idea of what you are wanting to watch users can let you know of any legitimate methods.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Thank you all for your replies. I am slowly getting the idea. I agree that we ought to pay for useful content. In the days of OTA (over the air) content was paid for by inserting advertising into the content stream. What puzzles me is why people would find it acceptable to pay 100, 200, 300 US dollars per month to watch television content that still has advertising! The new Xfinity digital platform is even smart enough to re-insert preferred and different advertising into the content streams they provide!

Perhaps the technical development cycle has not advanced far enough yet. The content I am mainly looking for is comprehensive/continuous news coverage and I have found an excellent example in the Roku CBSN channel. (other channels are still primitive) It has continuous news segments, sometimes pretty clumsily chopped up, but sequential. It inserts a ~10 second advert after about every third news segment, which is quite tolerable and, presumably pays for the content. When you invoke the channel it starts streaming the live feed but a Back button will take you to a visual presentation of all the recent segments one after another which can be selected on demand by the remote control. THIS IS A PROVEN WORKING MODEL.

When are other content providers going to catch up? I suspect the current cable tv model is yet too lucrative to spur change.

CONSCIENCE QUESTION: If a person views so-called "pirated" content that still has advertising, isn't it still being paid for?
No it isn't, as the viewings won't be "registered" by the media supplier or the advertiser, hence won't be recognised. If I were such an advertiser and was told that I'm only being viewed by say 10,000 people is wonder about my investment, even if the true unmeasurable figure including such illegal viewings was much higher.

Plus if you were an advertiser, would you want your brand associated with such dodgy and unreliable sources?

But we're getting a bit of topic here. As noted we're just the media player, and have nothing to do with the source media itself.

Kodi Blog Posts
Wink 
Well, I want to commend all of you for maintaining a well run forum that is responsive to noobie questions. It must be difficult to "hold the line" on a software platform that is "open" to add-ons.

I will confess, however, that I hold a Libertarian view on intellectual property rights. This article from Reason Magazine is a very interesting read that I have kept in my links. http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/23/th...ed-clavier

Providers and consumers of intellectual property need to have an equitable environment to trade in. I strongly suspect that those who pirate IPTV think they are justified by having been ripped off for so many years by cable tv providers.

As for me, I think I will stay with Roku. Beyond my Internet fee, 10 dollars a month for Netflix "all you can eat" entertainment and channels such as CBSN, Bill Still, TrueNews and such on YouTube - I am paying so much less - for so much more - than my former cable tv bill. I guess I don't need the "nefarious" add-on distributors after all. <smile>

Thanks and best wishes,

-Ken-
Thank you for your commendation.

For news, there are legal services. Start here http://addons.kodi.tv/category/video/ . Al Jazeera is an example.

There is nothing stopping you using roku AND have a kodi box to play with. The investment is around US100 and some time.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'Add source' does not work0