v17 Cannot play DIV3 encoded files on Raspberry Pi 3 [SOLVED]
Bug 
Kodi 17b5 crashes when I attempt to play an older avi video encoded with DivX (DIV3); Kodi 16.1 works fine playing the same file.

Distro: Arch ARM
Package: kodi-rbp-git 17.0b5.20161029-1

Keywords from log:
Code:
OMXPlayerUnsuitable OMXPlayer unsuitable due to video codec (11:0/1)

Link to complete kodi.log.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Debug isn't enable in your log. See debug log (wiki)
A sample file that shows the problem would be useful.
Sorry about that... enabled now. I clipped out 30 sec of the video for download.

Code:
% ffmpeg -i bad-DIV3.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy -ss 0:00:00 -t 0:00:30 cut.avi
Sample is playing fine here with my raspbian build and with latest Milhouse LibreELEC build.

Probably an Arch specific issue. Might be worth reading: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293885
Thanks for the reply. I did discover that thread as well, but adding the solution to my rules did not help:
Code:
% cat /etc/udev/rules.d/raspberrypi.rules          
SUBSYSTEM=="vchiq|input", MODE="0777"
KERNEL=="mouse*|mice|event*",  MODE="0777"
SUBSYSTEM=="vchiq",GROUP="video",MODE="0660"
SUBSYSTEM=="bcm2708_vcio",GROUP="video",MODE="0660"

And
Code:
% ls -l /dev/vcio /dev/vcsm
crw-rw---- 1 root video 249, 0 Oct  9 17:26 /dev/vcio
crw------- 1 root root  246, 0 Oct  9 17:26 /dev/vcsm

Did I miss something?
You want:
Code:
pi@domnfs:~ $ ls -l /dev/vcio /dev/vcsm
crw-rw---- 1 root video 249, 0 Oct 30 14:37 /dev/vcio
crw-rw---- 1 root video 246, 0 Oct 30 14:37 /dev/vcsm
Manually setting /dev/vcsm as you recommend allows it to play! Thank you for the suggestion! Adding the following udev rules fixes it automatically:

My rules:
Code:
% cat /etc/udev/rules.d/raspberrypi.rules
# fix for /dev/vcio
# fix for /dev/vcsm
SUBSYSTEM=="vc-sm",GROUP="video",MODE="0660"

So it seems the recommendation by shishai isn't complete. Do you know what the implication of allowing the video group access to /dev/vchiq (ie the other setting shishai posted)?
(2016-10-30, 17:12)graysky Wrote: Do you know what the implication of allowing the video group access to /dev/vchiq (ie the other setting shishai posted)?

vcio/vchiq/vcsm all allow gpu commands to be sent necessary for accelerated video playback.
The permissions you now have are what raspbian uses, and what Arch should be using if they want to support accelerated video playback.
Ideally you should report this to the Arch maintainers to avoid other users hitting this problem.
(2016-10-30, 22:38)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-10-30, 17:12)graysky Wrote: Do you know what the implication of allowing the video group access to /dev/vchiq (ie the other setting shishai posted)?

vcio/vchiq/vcsm all allow gpu commands to be sent necessary for accelerated video playback.
The permissions you now have are what raspbian uses, and what Arch should be using if they want to support accelerated video playback.
Ideally you should report this to the Arch maintainers to avoid other users hitting this problem.

Way ahead of you; I sent PR#1406 earlier today. Always glad to give back to the community. Thanks again for your help and advice!
(2016-10-30, 22:59)graysky Wrote: Way ahead of you; I sent PR#1406 earlier today. Always glad to give back to the community. Thanks again for your help and advice!

Good to hear!
Hey guys, I just noticed the typo I had in the thread I posted. It's updated now.

It should be:
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="vc-sm",GROUP="video",MODE="0660"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot play DIV3 encoded files on Raspberry Pi 3 [SOLVED]1