• 4(current)
Win HDR Support Window 10
Yes I have the HDR switch enabled in display settings and in Nvidia Control Panel I selected 'Use default color settings'. Desktop of course looks washed out but HDR videos played with mpc hc+madvr look identical to what the tv's own player outputs via usb. I hope developers will be able to access that HDR switch so that it can be switched on if a HDR movie is playing, otherwise it would be off. I have a gtx980 ti.

edit: also works in Kodi DSPlayer+madVR
(2017-04-07, 18:13)higher Wrote: Yes I have the HDR switch enabled in display settings and in Nvidia Control Panel I selected 'Use default color settings'. Desktop of course looks washed out but HDR videos played with mpc hc+madvr look identical to what the tv's own player outputs via usb. I hope developers will be able to access that HDR switch so that it can be switched on if a HDR movie is playing, otherwise it would be off. I have a gtx980 ti.

edit: also works in Kodi DSPlayer+madVR

Ok...I have the same situation with GTX1070
Whit HDR swith enable and Nvidia Control Panel - 'Use default color settings' - also the non HDR videos are played in HDR mode.
The implementation is flawed in at least two ways:
1) The only option is on/off for HDR. If turned on, everything including non HDR content is output in HDR.

2) It is only sending the transfer function (ST 2084) and color gamut (BT.2020) in HDMI InfoFrame. While these are sufficient to trigger many TVs to go into HDR mode, the TV needs information about the mastering display (chromaticity, luminance) and light levels of the content to do proper tone & gamut mapping.

I am not sure whether this is an issue with Windows 10 or the graphics driver.
(2017-04-08, 18:29)wesk05 Wrote: The implementation is flawed in at least two ways:
1) The only option is on/off for HDR. If turned on, everything including non HDR content is output in HDR.

2) It is only sending the transfer function (ST 2084) and color gamut (BT.2020) in HDMI InfoFrame. While these are sufficient to trigger many TVs to go into HDR mode, the TV needs information about the mastering display (chromaticity, luminance) and light levels of the content to do proper tone & gamut mapping.

I am not sure whether this is an issue with Windows 10 or the graphics driver.

They say on the madVR forum that it is not able to passthrough HDR data to the display yet. But I compared a few HDR x265 movies with my tv's (ks7000) player and they look identical, no difference at all. Wonder how it is possible then. Smile
(2017-04-08, 22:36)higher Wrote: They say on the madVR forum that it is not able to passthrough HDR data to the display yet. But I compared a few HDR x265 movies with my tv's (ks7000) player and they look identical, no difference at all. Wonder how it is possible then. Smile
As I mentioned in my earlier post, when you enable HDR and advanced color in Windows 10, the output HDMI signal has ST 2084 and BT.2020 already set in HDMI InfoFrame. Samsung TVs can be put into HDR mode just by the ST 2084 flag. However in this Windows HDR implementation, HDMI output doesn't transmit the full static HDR10 metadata that are required for proper tone and color gamut mapping on your TV. If you look for it carefully, you may be able to pick the differences between your TV's native player and madVR HDR playback.
(2017-04-09, 01:56)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-04-08, 22:36)higher Wrote: They say on the madVR forum that it is not able to passthrough HDR data to the display yet. But I compared a few HDR x265 movies with my tv's (ks7000) player and they look identical, no difference at all. Wonder how it is possible then. Smile
As I mentioned in my earlier post, when you enable HDR and advanced color in Windows 10, the output HDMI signal has ST 2084 and BT.2020 already set in HDMI InfoFrame. Samsung TVs can be put into HDR mode just by the ST 2084 flag. However in this Windows HDR implementation, HDMI output doesn't transmit the full static HDR10 metadata that are required for proper tone and color gamut mapping on your TV. If you look for it carefully, you may be able to pick the differences between your TV's native player and madVR HDR playback.

I understand what you say but this afternoon I spent a few hours comparing movies back and forth and there is zero difference.
Finally Windows 10 has the HDR option available but why is it permanently on?

It should only be activated when HDR content is being played.

So far I only got it to work with Windows player, doesn't work with Kodi.
HDR display text works fine in kodi for me now that I have updated to Windows Creator update. Note: you need a 10 series card for nvidia for amd I believe you need 400 series or 500 series. I also have the problem of it showing for non hdr videos as well though having to turn hdr on/off will be a pain.
(2017-04-07, 08:40)kalima Wrote: RX470 with catalyst 17.4.1 + build 15063 , NO HDR Sad
but with movie & show app , HDR is on.

If the file you are playing when clicking on media info has HDR meta data in it then switching the hdr tab to on in windows 10 creators update and the latest amd rx driver it will work. You must set the hdmi color options in additional settings in the amd rx control panel driver to 422 color. 444 will not work! Switch the switch over to hdr and your screen will look like shit. On your HDR tv make sure if you run a tv that supports 1.4 2.2 hdcp switching you set your hdmi to enhanced (as per my sony xbr tv). Once the 2.2 is set the hdr will trigger the tv and will lock you out of the color settings and show hdr active on your tv. Windows desktop will go flat grey.

To understand hdr, I made a video on youtube how to unlock rx470 with hardware acceleration with missing meta data hdr in mpc. If your files are dull looking and the hdr meta data is missing when you use a program like ( mediainfo ) to view it in HTML option mode then my video is the ONLY WAY to unlock the hdr in the video on the pc.

If your file has hdr meta data then your only option in windows media and movie windows 10 play it there with the hdr tab on and your tv will shine. mpc with rx470 does not allow you to use madvr as this is a madvr directx issue at the moment. The amd driver works fine in custom presenter filter with directx mode on as covered in my video. I used ssedits hdr cablibration to set mpc misc levels of saturation, contrast and brightness to match the GAMMA curve of hdr which the tv would automatically do and is what WINDOWS 10 does when you slide that hdr tab to on. Its kinda reversed. A uhd 4k capture is dull on normal windows settings watching. Switch windows to this dull look and the video pops. Whats going on there is windows is doing what my calibration settings are doing in mpc to replicated the dynamic range of hdr.

So for rx users this is what I do. I save a reg file for each movie and load it prior to watching because every movie is a td different in contrast brightness ratio. Load the 4k reg mpc file then your uhd movie. Adjust the sliders to match the original. I own originals and comparied them when setting this misc info. Select bt 2020 in your tv color options and it will look EXACT . Like I said. If your run RX4 series cards and have hdr meta data in your video file load the file in windows media and movie default player and watch hdr. A warning to all that widows media and movie player will crush the blacks past calibration in hdr. I tested this with calibration file while in hdr mode. The higher the contrast you go the darker the colors. The grey scale in hdr is from solid white to solid black with steps of grey in between. All I did was adjust those sliders to see all the steps of grey to black in hdr mode and watched a sample of I am legon movie and it was perfect. I then loaded Planet Earth 2 sample and changed the sliders and saved a reg file for that one too. Most uhd movies use a standard set of static meta data for hdr but some use a slightly different adjustment in contrast and brightness.

My current project is trying to get mpc to launch externally in kodi as use other player and adding a load reg program for each 4k reg setting to switch the contast saturation and brightness in mpc automatically when a 4k movie is launched form kodi and swtich back to default for bluray and dvd once you exit. Doing it this way has a HUGE ADVANTAGE over forced hdr. The reason is you get to KEEP access to ALL your picture settings options on your tv like vidid colors, setting rgb levels, adding more intense contrast, extra deep black and so on. Every one likes to watch movies a certain way. HDR forces you to watch them their way, You can se mpc to watch it their way and use your vidid options on your tv. You do NOT need to slide the hdr windows tab to HDR my way using the reg mpc files for each movie as mpc does this in mpc itself.

Try this on some oled 4k demos and some dull looking hdr footage. You will agree that having open hdr switching is way better than forced hdr switching. Each to their own.......

By the way I am the one who came up with the famous process monitor method for bluray screen pass if you have no idea who I am.

K guys great news. Been busy writing script and application to set window 10 to trigger HDR but not having to do it with HDR tab. It works HDR tab and HDMI set to 422 420 but there's got to be a better way! That's where my app which I'll try to get up this week will work on all your HDR captures and oled demos. 10bit HDR main with AMD RX 4 and 5 series cards posted thru kodi with mpc hc 64 bit using yuv and not rgb 444 422. I'm not going to get into why . You can Google rgb and HDR. Yuv is the way to process the signal. Anyway I'm thinking of beta releasing 4 to 5 HDR calibration apps. One will be for documentaries other HDR to sdi for low light viewing and the HDR 1 to 1 trigger. I find watching planet earth in HDR after 2 hrs it's hard on the eyes. It would be nice to tone down the nit brightness at night time. HDR is static which is great for daylight watching. Not sure Google HDR downfalls with ambient light. My way unlocks your TV controls and gives you the HDR in the source material. I could create an HDR custom calculator and the meta data in the HDR file numver s could be entered and create a set of white to black dynamic scale to leave your TV unlocked but use accurate nit max CL min vl adv CL. HDR is all about light levels and f stops of exposure. I have tested HDR movies with mpc hc and meta files and am 100 percent sure HDR icon is not mandatory to get PC to output the correct dynamic range for the content. My TV supports HDR I'm guessing at 5-600 nits. A standard TV is less. What is great about creating an app to go between two formats is users with really good 1080p LCDs or 4k TVs that missed the HDMI 2.0 window can still show HDR material on their TVs in a 80 percent increase in dynamic range without blowing the whites or crushing the blacks. I find thru my tests my Samsung UHD actually crushes the blacks 1 f stop but my app brings Back that fstop in UHD material. Best way to test is when you try beta version if you own a UHD disk pop it in and play in hardware player. Then switch HDMI port to Windows 7 or 10 and enable my app and compare. They will according to my tests will match. I'm driving my wife crazy playing oled jazz. Walk through colors and chess and NASA demos, then switching to planet earth UHD and assin Creed, swallows on and on to see if the HDR meta data is static or changes. To my surprise movies use a SET meta data and documentaries and oled samples use a different meta data.So what I'm thinking is offerering 3 modes. User can load enable hdr calibration mode, enter HDR to sdi mode( for projection and older TVs) (80 percent of HDR) and HDR off. Tested life of pi and found that planet earth and life of pi used an extremely high setting while I am legion and assins Creed and suside squade and hacksaw ridge and others used a set HDR. Kinda wish movies looked like oleddemos. But nope. I'm think there cranking up the max CL to sell tvs. Movies do not look like the oled samples. HDR is not metallic video! I do a ton of video editing and know that HDR is extra fstops of exposure . this means a normal looking Blu-ray where the contrast has detail and the shadows have detail. Film cameras had to choose to expose a human indoors but the windows and reflections would suffer . take a picture of the mountain with sun in the sky. You have a choice. Expose the ground and blow out the sky. Or expose the bright sky to see the clouds and make the ground under exposed or details black or dark. HDR is details in the shadows and details in the contrast . your eyes see HDR when you look out. But a camera has to choose . HDR cameras take one picture at + exposure and another one at -exposure. This is done every 2 frames of video at 60 fps or frames per second. This is why 4k HDMI supportsv30 or 24(23.976) fps. This is why 60 fps HDR 4k is not possible. Hollywood will never use that. To sinc HD audio at 23.976 this is why audio is at 48,000 Hz. That .24 to make 24fps is set like that to sinch 48,000 dys master HD or truehd sound tracks when recorded in the studio. I should know as I have editing video and surround.

Anyway it is suggested to have an AMD RX or nvidia card that supports HDR main 10 hevc (10 bit) as the HDMI port is part of the equation. The TV HDR does the light level and color. For those who don't understand color there are 2 main formats. BT 709 and bt2020. Bluwray uses bt709. HDR uses bt2020. So if your using my app you must set your HDR TV to bt2020. If you watch HDR material mastered in bt2020 on bt709 monitor or TV the color will be more pale. If you watch material mastered in bt709 in bt2020 your Blu-ray movies ....people's faces will be pink. Bt2020 uses more color gaumet to show more of color spectrum. One more thing. If you watch bt2020 material in 8 but the gradients will band. In order to support HDR at such hi levels with color in this spectrum 10 bit color must be used in the video sample. You can have yuv 420 and see no banding on 10 bit source material. HDR material captured at 8 bit and encoded 10 bit will produce banding. So if you using captured UHD movies and you see this don't blame my app. Blame to guy who capture it. This is why I used oled samples HDR main 10 heavily in my HDR calibration between mpc hc and my UHD Samsung HDR player. Enough said

The link to kodi HDR project. Here is where I will release the setup info and beta files for anyone willing to try these with any HDR material you own. At this moment this works on RX 4 and 5 series cards with HDR TVs 2015 or greater. Also works in non sgx environment for kaby lake users if you want your TV controls to remain unlocked. Power dvd17 will trigger your HDR TV but lock you out of your TV options. I'm offering HDR with TV controls unlocked. That's the whole point of HDR kodi project.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/kodi-pro...vie.72647/
I'm triggering HDR through non SGX with PowerDVD 17 using a Samsung JS8500 via Nvidia GTX 960. I'm not locked out of any TV settings? I just went and made a few changes to see if they actually change and they do. Scanned through basic, advanced and picture settings. Nothing is greyed out? Tested YCbCr 420, 422 and 444. 8 and 10 bpc. Also RGB full 8bpc. Is their something specific I should not have access to?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Not arguing with you. I think what you're doing is great and I'm going to try it. Just pointing out my experiences fwiw. Yes, PDVD supports Cinavia but AnyDVD cleans it up. Yes, Kodi allows GUI and seamless sends play command to other players fullscreen and returns to Kodi in focus when finished. I've a written a complete guide all about it in my sig. Trial of PDVD 17 is extremely limited. HDR, 3D, HEVC, iso etc. are examples. Because my display allows adjusting, I adjust local dimming higher to expand the range and looks very, very, good. Nothing crushed or exceeded. This way it is the only setting I change when using HDR. Today I am going to recalibrate with local dimming increased so when non HDR is played, they will look normal too. This way I don't have to switch the setting back and forth and display will always be ready for any type. Looking forward to trying your method. Thank you for doing it and most of all sharing when ready for alpha/beta feedback.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-05-12, 15:03)brazen1 Wrote: Not arguing with you. I think what you're doing is great and I'm going to try it. Just pointing out my experiences fwiw. Yes, PDVD supports Cinavia but AnyDVD cleans it up. Yes, Kodi allows GUI and seamless sends play command to other players fullscreen and returns to Kodi in focus when finished. I've a written a complete guide all about it in my sig. Trial of PDVD 17 is extremely limited. HDR, 3D, HEVC, iso etc. are examples. Because my display allows adjusting, I adjust local dimming higher to expand the range and looks very, very, good. Nothing crushed or exceeded. This way it is the only setting I change when using HDR. Today I am going to recalibrate with local dimming increased so when non HDR is played, they will look normal too. This way I don't have to switch the setting back and forth and display will always be ready for any type. Looking forward to trying your method. Thank you for doing it and most of all sharing when ready for alpha/beta feedback.

Leave your hdmi set the way you like for cable bluray. No need to change anything but bt2020 color thats it. Be home today and try to get this uploaded tomorrow.
Kodi HDR Project all done. Uploading within the hr. Please test this on pure uhd hdr material and not 4k stuff. Testing was done over 30 days from 2 users and both say they achieved excellent results on hdr tvs. Local dimming is the key to hdr but Ill let you beta testers figure this out. Works seamless with kodi and mpc hc. This does not screw with your madvr settings and leaves no foot print when enabled and disabled. All this does is tells windows to set the Dynamic range 10 f stops. In terms you guys can understand. Then set it back to default. The process unlocks the hdr from the meta files! I named it X-DR Xtended Dynamic Range.......has a nice ring to it.... Post link within the hr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcJOEPgArg

Visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMgD5qz...tzx1wUhKQQ
and click on the video and in the video description in the link to try the beta version
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR Support Window 102