• 10(current)
v17 Sorry, I am unable to like Estuary.
I finally decided to try out v17 because I like trying out new things. Sadly my worst fears from watching the demo videos had come true. Honestly, I can get around everything being in a different place, I like change, but I don't appreciate removing things without giving people a choice. Like many others, hearing that something is now more 'streamlined' and 'user friendly' just screams 'we're removing a ton of information' and 'we're hiding a bunch of useful stuff into deeper menus'. It sucks that when things become more mainstream they also have to be dumbed down.

After coming to the forums I was delighted to see that I can bring back Confluence without any problems, and now I can continue to use v17 happily. Still, some day Confluence will become deprecated, and then it will become obsolete, and I sure hope by that day there is another official skin with a video player not designed to meet the expectations and requirements of Apple users.
I dont think ypu need to worry.
Kodi is so flexible and there are many skinners that will most likely carry the (x)confluence torch if the current maintainers wont
I have been using 17.0 RC1 now on iPad, iPhone, and ATV4 units with the annoying weekly installs. I enjoy watching Frontline series on PBSThink addon, but find that there is NO optional command to stop the closed-captioning feature which they ALL have to start with. On an Amazon Fire TV unit, I have that option in 16.1 and smoothly uncheck it from the stream....please look into this "lost" feature on the current 17.0 RC1 Krypton version.
Sorry folks, I found the sequence on the Krypton 17.0 RC1 (and beta7) releases to remove the need for closed-captioning on documentaries in Frontline series from PBSThink. Merely pause the movie as normal, then press AND HOLD the enter area on the ATV4 remote controller. It will open the optional bar beneath the movie frame.....nice job Kodi Team. I have also slowly discovered the VOLUME control on the streaming selection, over and above the volume controller unit itself. It is a light pressure tap on the center, upper portion of the ATV4 remote to activate the small volume control for the internal audio volume for the selected stream. Again, nice work Kodi Team.
I think the skin has a lot of potential and is very clean and well done!

Now I may be missing some options, sorry if I did, but the reason why I am not using Estuary for the time being are below:

I used it for a short while, but then went back to info wall on Aeon Nox due to the way and amount of information is presented. I have a lot of movies and TV and it really makes a difference. basically I go from ~12 movies to ~7 in Estuary on the screen at one time.

I also don't get as much pop with the fan-art/background for movies and TV. Maybe an option for opaqueness?

I hope they give an option or give or change the amount of space or size for the info wall and the ability to let my fan-art image come through more.

I am on 1080p resolution, 55".

Great skin though
Super glad I could go back to Confluence. Estuary theme navigation with a mouse is very frustrating, almost impossible. Especially views like Shift and Poster. That's my main gripe, the new theme works fine with arrow keys and/or a remote but forget about it with a mouse.

I think List and Wide List should have the scroll list on the left, like Fan Art. The main screen has the list of stuff on the left and as you move through that things on the right change. The views would be better if they followed this trend. Everything is so flat now. Nothing pops like before.

I liked having the movie poster, episode screen shot, as well as video/audio info available at the bottom when playing something. I'd much rather have that info than when it ends or what genre it is.
Estuary doesn't seem half bad. My gripe is that they changed it and forced us to use it. Those of us that have existing installs should be able to use whatever skin we had selected prior to installing Krypton. I rate this choice by the Kodi team as equivalent to "all these other companies changing default settings to opt IN to data sharings, and cloud services". They opted us IN to use Estuary and even hosed the custom settings others have had from a pre-exisitng install.

It's like taking your car in for an oil change, and a Transmission computer upgrade, but when you get it back, they've replaced all of your instrument cluster panels with foreign language symbols and told you if you want your old cluster back you need to jump through hoops. Smile

Anywhoo - its not half bad. Its clunky with mouse movements for sure, I even had issues in window mode cursor alignment. No simple physical Back button, so use exit, backspace, etc, but pure remote navigation is a little clunkier.

For such a solid Skin, I wish they left it (Confluence) as a main selectable default.
Again? Seriously?
How many clicks is it to go back to confluence?
How hard is it to do that?
And 'hosed custom settings'? Er, no. Change back to your original skin - they're there.
mouse schmouse
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
U can't please everyone. If you removed Estuary and made Confluence the main skin, people would complain about that too. I think people who can't handle changing skins should use something other than Kodi or make do. It's beating a dead horse at this point though.
If you can't figure out how to change then skin then how will you ever add you own media? And if you don't like estuary instead of complaining about it jump into the code and fix the issues you having give back to the development other then complaining... The people providing this awesome software is doing it free and in there free time... I am get more annoyed with all the negative comments the more I read the more I see people today are so ungrateful...

Constructive criticism is one thing but this whole thread I mainly just people to lazy to learn the software they are using... Nor how to actually fix any real bugs they may experience....Honestly it kinda sad..
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
Hehe, the OP pretty much nailed the topic they intended to relay. They don't like Estuary.

I don't know about most of you, but I typically DO NOT read a thread about "What soap Joan uses to mop her floors" unless I suspect I have some interest in her, a good soap for floor mopping, or if I assume I'm going to see some awesome CLEAN images!!! (lol... I digress). My point, if you are reading this thread at all, you either have some interest in peoples opinions/thoughts/concerns about Estuary, or are looking to troll those that do. Big Grin

My specific issue with Estuary was that "mouse movements" over the far right of the screen did not correctly or always trigger right-scroll to reveal what was off the right of the screen. As this is a main format of Estuary navigation it turned me off personally. I will gladly put development time into fixing that - if I choose to use it, but since it was super easy to go back to the default Confluence I use, why bother? Now, if I have an issue with Kodi playing video, maybe I'll go work its DirectX11 support.... my point is, If I can contribute something I will. I suspect most people on this and many other threads may not have a developer background. So instead of flaming them, let them share their thoughts on a thread that's WELL titled to their subject. Don;t read it if you don't have any interest in it.

And if a developer happens to read it, perhaps they will gleam some useful ideas from the ramblings of the masses. Wink
@noybman we don't force Estuary on users. If you however have been using a skin prior the update, which is not yet compatible with Krypton, then you'll end up with Estuary. But if there is a Krypton version of the skin available, it should not have been changed on update.

and yes, Estuary is not meant for mouse or touch screens, for those we have Estouchy. However, mouse support will be improved in upcoming releases. Please note that Confluence had years of development and bugfixing, while Estuary is still rather new and will for sure improve over time, thanks to your feedback
Estouchy will work with a mouse? I thought it was specific to Touch, or so the name implied. I'll give it a whack.
Most people don't fear change. What most people fear is things not staying the same.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sorry, I am unable to like Estuary.2