FireTV not enough: Upgrade options?
Exclamation 
Hey all,

I've recently been introduced to the world of Kodi through side-loading on a FireTV2. I've been very happy with the performance of the FireTV and even managed to get the VPN running, but the lack of ability to record LiveTV is a deal-breaker. From what I have read it looks like recording (DVR) of LiveTV is either not possible or extremely difficult on an Android box. Is that correct?

Assuming so, I'm considering an Asus Chromebox or building/buying a HTPC. Here are my general wants/needs for the Kodi setup:
  • $400 or less price point if possible
  • Easy for my non tech-savvy SO to navigate, record, use guide, etc.
  • Record legal Live IPTV through Kodi
  • Schedule & Record future Live TV (either IPTV or OTA digital antenna) through Kodi
  • Access my Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu
  • 1080p is sufficient for now (upgradability to 4k a plus)

I've read some good info about the latest Intel Kaby Lake architecture including the new MSI, Gigabyte, etc. barebones systems. I also am open to building a custom HTPC. The HTPC price point is a little more than I would like to spend but it is definitely doable. I believe for 1080p purposes I could easily get away with an older i3 architecture so maybe that is something to consider as well.

So...what would you knowledgable folks recommend? A little direction to help me narrow down my best options would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!!
If all that you want to add to your existing setup is TV functionality, you may wish to consider getting a Raspberry P to run as a TV tuner (actually, even if you upgrade as the power consumption is minimal).

I actually run a headless Raspberry Pi (original, so you could get the ultracheap Zero) with a USB tuner (for using as a media centre, the original Pi is a bit slow, but for this purpose, it is perfect!). I run Libreelec within which you can add a PVR backend (I use TVheadend). I have it record onto my server, but you could just attach storage directly. This means that you can leave the Pi on all the time (and it doesn't use much power) to handle all your free to air TV requirements. You can schedule programs from any Kodi device (just set up the TVheadend frontend on each device in Kodi - is as simple as enabling the addon and entering the IP address of the device that the tuner is running on) and also on the web / mobile devices. You can watch the recorded programs from any Kodi device. An added bonus is that if you don't have antenna access to each TV in the house, you can also watch TV via Kodi.

It really well for us (and when I upgraded my main viewing devices to Rasp Pi 3s, Nexus Player and NUC for 3d). The latest version of Android supports select TV tuners - the tuners I have aren't supported though, so I haven't had a play.
There are also the Wetek devices, but I don't think they have all the other requirements that you want (I have no experience with these).

Hope this helps.
woronczak,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I haven't even considered the RPi. I've been out of touch with tech for the last number of years (grad school). I was just starting to think about what I was going to do as far as TV tuner goes.

The only question I have off the bat is would I be able to record IPTV using Kodi and the RPi? I'm trying to make cutting cable as easy and approachable as possible for all in the home. The FireTV has been great besides, from what I've read, not being able to record IPTV. I haven't added PVR functionality or even activated the live TV guide yet, but the FireTV can handle recording LiveTV from an OTA source apparently...just not IPTV. The antenna takes care of local channels; seems being able to record IPTV is the only thing requiring the change from FireTV to some other platform.
Record IPTV

pvr.iptvsimple

The Linux compiled version installs into LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis. Not sure how it operates just yet.

As per wrxtasy, there is also IPTV component to TVheadend. I have never used but if you want me to test something specific, send me the settings I need to add (although from what I read, I think you need a subscription for a particular IPTV service).
If you were in the USA I would have a good look at the Channels App for Live TV that is available on the AppleTV4
See here for details:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2450754

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FireTV not enough: Upgrade options?1