Increase scan speed
I have a Dell desktop Windows 10 and it has 4 WD External hard drives usb3.0 connected to it. When I start KODI it scans for videos and music (I have large libraries) in no time at all. (a few minutes)
I have a second system in another room that is wired Ethernet to my Linksys AC2600 router and my internet connection average is 90 mbps. My hard drives are shared out so that KODI on my second setup has access.
The second system takes 15 minutes or longer to scan my libraries..........is there any way to speed this up?
Have I missed a setting or something else?

Thank you!
You could give this a shot: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=272112 But please read the opening post carefully, and understand what it can do.

That may cure your slow updates.
you could also try using NFS instead of SMB (or whatever protocol you're using atm)
I googled and got no real answers.
Can anyone point me to or give a link to an NFS version (client & server) that will work with Windows 10 and some implementation guidance?

Thanks!
I'm not a networking expert but I don't think NFS will solve your problems (could be wrong, I have been before!).

I have about 10TB of movies/tv shows on a NAS, connected via wired gigabit ethernet to an ASUS RT-N66U router. My Win 10 powered HTPC (and my LibreELEC HTPC) connects to this router via wired Powerline Ethernet (about 300 Mb/s throughput). Both systems use the SMB protocol and both systems complete the library scan at Kodi startup in about 60 seconds.

My internet connection is 100 Mb/s down, 10 Mb/s up.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
It's probably stumbling on a few files, either wrongly named, corrupt, or an archive that isn't. A proper debug log posted with a public paste-bin showing the scan process and that URL linked back to this thread might have some clues.
Just so you are aware, Windows 10 Pro (the free version everyone has), does NOT include NFS support. ONLY the Enterprise version of Windows 10 has NFS support.

To further what you have seen, I also have a Windows 10 Pro system, that was hosting several drives (10 SATA drives, 4TB, 7200RPM) shared via SMB, and it would finish a scan in about 5-10 minutes or so. While a NUC box, with an SSD drive would normally take 10-12 minutes to scan the the same shared drives.

I have since moved my storage to a FreeNAS built system (8 SATA drives, 6TB each, 7200RPM), and the time to scan on each of my systems (one NUC, and several Shield TV's), has gone down on all my KODI systems to 4-8 minutes.

However, the big culprit to scanning slowdowns, is if you have it checking online for data (fanart, info, etc). So if you want it faster everywhere, grab a stand-alone scrapper (MediaElch is what I use and recommend), and when you add your shares in KODI, be sure to select "Local Files Only", and you will see a huge speed increase in updating your library.

The Only downside to this, is nothing will fix the database cleaning (it is always slow, even on SSD drives). But hey, at least you have fixed the slow scanning issue, right?
Also forgot a big one (was a problem for me way back) and you can find the settings here (http://kodi.wiki/view/Set_content_and_scan).

But turn off "Scan Recursively" if possible (but read the Wiki, and make sure you don't have your movies in sub-folders). This made a huge difference for me in scanning my large library (3200+ Movies and 712 TV Series, 4000+ Music Videos and a large Music Library).
Oh, and one other tip, also listed in the Wiki above, is a setting to "Exclude path from library updates". So if you have a drive, that no longer gets any new shows (it's full), then you can check that box so it will just scan it the first time, and will no longer scan it in the future when you preform a library update (but since nothing is ever added or removed from that drive, no big deal).

Hope the above tips solve your issues.
I turned all scanning to local files only...."video and music". I turned off scan music tags. I turned scan music at startup off. It still runs super slow. I uninstalled Krypton beta 6 and reinstall beta 5 much much faster.
I uninstalled beta 5 and reinstalled beta 6........scans at a snails pace....reinstalled beta 5 scans much faster?

What am I missing?

Because of check version I keep getting the message about not using the most up to date version.............
Here is my log.....I hope I did this correctly:

http://pastebin.com/AaYjA1Dp

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Increase scan speed0