Can't Access Windows 10 shared folder
Thanks so much. That is a very strange thing for SMB and Windows 10 but sharing the folder from a different drive worked. I'm still testing but so far so good. I've been working with shares in Windows since Windows NT and this is just nuts.
Nuts it is!
My main file server/share in now win10.. sadly win10 really messed up smb. Technet.microsoft is full of smb issues. Microsoft has some work to do. This fix took a while to sort, but the family is happy with it.. glad it helped you. Win10 was really pushed on us hard, which for the most part I like, but smb compatibility has caused a lot of grief. I have been using this work around for several months 24/7. I am blocking anniversary updates and random forced reboots (Unacceptable for a file server). It should work fine for you - Less the need to partition or add drives.

If I get C shares to work acceptably. I will update.

Happy kodi-ing,
G
(2017-01-02, 22:01)handbone Wrote: I had a similar problem. I had to switch over to the default skin because the skin I was using didn't show the username/password dialog when adding my smb as a source. After that, I was able to select my smb share, add the username/password, and save it for future use.

This solution answered my problems. Thank you very much! Big Grin
Hello Guys,
\First of all thanks for these tips. Unfortunately I am unable to solve this problem on my end. The problem I encounter is that when I am  adding the  server  ip manually as suggested (i.e  My windows 10 desktop containing  the file I want to share) I get  this following message: Path not found or invalid. I have double checked that this is the correct IP address of  my desktop (Network properties). It is discoverable through the smb but get the usual message Operation not permitted. I suspect that the problem comes from my windows 10 configuration but can't find from where (No homegroup has been set, File sharing and discovery is on, ).
Any help would be highly appreciated! 
Thanks  a  lot
Have you actually shared a directory?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
yes of  course  :-) They all are set to be  shared  to "everyone" and to the new user as suggested (I have also tried to do each one of them separately).   But I am  not even  able to go the credential menu on my raspberry pie/Kodi box as I either get "Operation not Permitted" if I go through browse/smb/Pc or invalid path of I set the IP manually
I had this problem when I did a fresh install of LibreELEC 8.2.0.1. I got around it by copying the password.xml file from a different RPi with a previous build that had all of the credential info into the userdata folder of the 8.2.0.1 pi.

For some reason, the 8.2.0.1 release is not prompting for credentials.
(2017-11-03, 15:11)Doctor Eggs Wrote: I had this problem when I did a fresh install of LibreELEC 8.2.0.1. I got around it by copying the password.xml file from a different RPi with a previous build that had all of the credential info into the userdata folder of the 8.2.0.1 pi.

For some reason, the 8.2.0.1 release is not prompting for credentials.

Thanks will try that and let you know if it worked!
Solved it yet? I'm using Windows 10 and my file sharing is working. I'm not using the ip address. Just smb://machine_name/shared_folder/subfolder. You may have to type it in manually. I don't think you can browse into your shared folder anymore. Not sure if it makes any difference but I've set 'Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers' in Advanced Sharing Options.
Hi thanks for the tip, I have unfortunately not solved it yet. Tried latest suggestion with no success. I still get the "Operation not permitted" either by manually putting my IP or by putting my computer name...
Assuming you're using LibreElec, you might find somewhere in the LibreElec configuration the option to set minimum and maximum Samba versions. Maximum should be three. That's all I can think of. Have you tested your shares with another device?
(2017-11-07, 02:38)d\Wooluf Wrote: Assuming you're using LibreElec, you might find somewhere in the LibreElec configuration the option to set minimum and maximum Samba versions. Maximum should be three. That's all I can think of. Have you tested your shares with another device?

The min/max settings are for the LE Samba Server and these settings have nothing to do with Kodi accessing a Windows share.

When accessing a Samba share Kodi is the client, and you'll find the Samba Client settings in Kodi > Settings > Services > SMB Client. Note that advanced/expert settings level is required.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-11-02, 21:23)Dimpapadim Wrote: Hello Guys,
\First of all thanks for these tips. Unfortunately I am unable to solve this problem on my end. The problem I encounter is that when I am  adding the  server  ip manually as suggested (i.e  My windows 10 desktop containing  the file I want to share) I get  this following message: Path not found or invalid. I have double checked that this is the correct IP address of  my desktop (Network properties). It is discoverable through the smb but get the usual message Operation not permitted. I suspect that the problem comes from my windows 10 configuration but can't find from where (No homegroup has been set, File sharing and discovery is on, ).
Any help would be highly appreciated! 
Thanks  a  lot
(i.e  My windows 10 desktop containing  the file I want to share)  

^^ The above implies you are trying to share a directory on the root/C: drive.  This won't work with Windows 10 and Kodi 17.6.  You must use a drive that is not C:.  

Had the same problem and went through days of trying to figure out why Windows 10 machine had always worked flawlessly via SMB and a new machine just wouldn't work reliably.  As was mentioned earlier in this thread--get the shares off the root/C: drive and Kodi will work as expected.  No more seeing the files and directories on one browse, then to see an empty directory, and then to get invalid argument, et al..
Hi,
After mutch research this was the answer that helped me out. And for me this is the solution: thanks to the man for the spended time. Simple and fast, just to know it Smile
My share was to Everyone with read and write permission.
Then, when adding the source in Kodi, check and use the name of the windows account folder.
In my case, the microsoft account name and the account folder were different.

win10/shared file from a non-system disk/ kodi16
just moved to win 10 just so i can stream to kodi on my xbox and strem the xbox to win 10.
came across this thread here.
after searching for a solution for 2 days, i found the fix for smb 1.0.
apparently, M$ decided no remove the support for smb 1.0, since it isn't secured. your user/pass are saved in a simlpe unencrypted xml file on kodi.
saying that, enabling the smb 1.0 on win 10 is very simple.

go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features
click on the left on Turn windows features on or off
the features window will open and enable on the list smb 1.0 support.

hope it will help others
cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Access Windows 10 shared folder1