Kodi 17 RC3 PC rebooting - (Vista)
Hello,

I've been running earlier versions of Kodi for quite a while under XP. Under Windows Vista installed Javis then eventually beta versions of Kodi 17, last installed is version RC3 under Windows Vista x64 with 4 gigs main memory. (Windows Vista x64 has all the latest updates installed)

Kodi 17 RC3 Beta version has been running for quite, however in the past several weeks I started to have infrequent problems with the PC re-booting.

I've been running various versions of Kodi under Windows Vista for months without any problems. However recently over that past few weeks, over 1/2 dozen times while running Kodi 17 RC3 and watching a video such as from video addons .CBS news, Youtube and other video add-ons the screen has gone completely dark and the PC rebooted without any blue screen or any sort of warning.

Once rebooted. Kodi runs normally most of the time, but several days to over week later another PC reboot occurs again while running Kodi 17 RC3. The PC reboot has only occurred while running Kodi and playing a video such from CBS news, Youtube, and other video add-ons.

This last time I took a look at the Kodi log file, last few lines of the Kodi log file, same time as the PC reboot occurred.

I've not had this PC reboot problem while running other applications only while running Kodi 17 RC3.

Note: since first installing Kodi 17 RC3, for other reasons, I've re-installed Kodi more than once. At this point I'll try another clean install, deleting all of the installation files, to monitor and determine if something is wrong with the current install, however it doesn't appear to be an installation problem as I've performed several re-installs of RC3 in the past.

Anyone ideas? Anyone else here in the forum experienced this sort of problem while running Kodi?

Kodi log --------------- (after re-boot and before running Kodi)

13:32:21.721 T:4700 ERROR: Control 503 in window 10025 has been asked to focus, but it can't
13:32:21.998 T:4700 NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::CloseFile()
13:32:21.998 T:4700 NOTICE: VideoPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
13:32:21.998 T:4700 NOTICE: VideoPlayer: finished waiting
13:32:21.999 T:4700 NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::CloseFile()
13:32:21.999 T:4700 NOTICE: VideoPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
13:32:21.999 T:4700 NOTICE: VideoPlayer: finished waiting
13:32:29.383 T:2756 ERROR: CImageLoader:Big GrinoWork - Direct texture file loading failed for special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/9/95ecb1a0.jpg

Windows Vista Event Viewer log - Application > ERROR > Source WMI --- (obtained immediately after re-boot)

Links to Event Viewer error definition:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...834f2.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...74977.aspx

http://wikifixes.com/en/errors/0x/0x8004...At4z8P8HAQ

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WMI
[ Guid] {1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}
[ EventSourceName] WinMgmt

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 1/19/2017 1:35:03 PM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Thinkcentre-PC
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-01-19T21:35:03.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>13502</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Thinkcentre-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage &gt; 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
I've deleted all instances of "kodi" that's part of a file and folder name.

I did have a Jarvis version installed, perhaps this install was interfering, possibly causing problems or conflicts with the Krypton beta version.

To delete all instances of "Kodi" I recommend deleting files from a command prompt, then rebooting searching for any other instances of "Kodi" on the hard drive.
For Kodi to cause the PC to reboot is a kind of a severe bug and I'm not sure that I would ascribe it to Kodi software. Not knowing the answer (no debug log presented) I have had a couple of occasions which I'll pass along; 1) Checking out the limits of my system with h265 4K 10 bit got my old graphic card not only to complain, but rebooted hands free [it gave warnings, and I knew it was failing] 2) Overclocking my system until it hurts, and the cpu went into protection stop mode from the heat. I suspect yours might be in the first category. When was the last time you cleaned out the dust bunnies, re-greased and checked the temps (specifically the gpu). I think this "0x80041003" error is commonly caused by incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry falls out of scope of the Kodi forum.

Suggestion: put it out to pasture, or run one of the Linux variants and push new life into the hardware, and watch it perform.
Yes it possibly could be the Vista installation, however the problem has only occurred while running Kodi.

I've deleted all of the Kodi installations including Jarvis, plus and all the files and folder before performing a clean install.

I also search through the registry and deleted any previous reg. entries relevant to the previous Kodi Krypton Installation.

I will see if the clean install fixes this problem.

I have fairly recently, in the past month, dusted out the PC where Kodi is installed.

I probably am due for another hardware upgrade and currently maintain two pcs and two laptops.

However the Vista x64 Machine runs well without any problems. I use it mainly to download e-mail and to run Kodi.

If the problem goes away, the problem is likely with the previous Krypton installation.

I prefer Krypton beta over Jarvis, however if the problem persists I could backup to the Jarvis version, which never displayed this sort of problem. If the problem exists under Jarvis it's likely a problem with the Vista installation which is fairly recent, as some time ago for other reasons I performed a clean install of Windows Vista.

Yes I have a portable usb drive with Kodi Linux installed. Possibly could switch to Linux or possibly install Kodi on another XP machine I have as a backup in case something goes haywire with the Vista Machine.
(2017-01-20, 05:44)User-3023 Wrote: Yes it possibly could be the Vista installation, however the problem has only occurred while running Kodi.
Must be late, I'm going after you one by one... Supported hardware (wiki) OS recommended: Windows 7 or higher
Quote:I've deleted all of the Kodi installations including Jarvis, plus and all the files and folder before performing a clean install.
No need use portable mode
Quote:I also search through the registry and deleted any previous reg. entries relevant to the previous Kodi Krypton Installation.
See http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
Quote:I will see if the clean install fixes this problem.

This is where you see the limits of what you have.
Quote:I have fairly recently, in the past month, dusted out the PC where Kodi is installed.

You need a maid or new filter in the furnace.
Quote:I probably am due for another hardware upgrade and currently maintain two pcs and two laptops.

You make it sound like you buy every 10 years and that's too often.
Quote:However the Vista x64 Machine runs well without any problems. I use it mainly to download e-mail and to run Kodi.

And you run the greatest software on the planet on a ten year old machine! Talk about priorities!
Quote:If the problem goes away, the problem is likely with the previous Krypton installation.

Without a doubt, but not necessarily because of the software, more of the installation.
Quote:
I prefer Krypton beta over Jarvis, however if the problem persists I could backup to the Jarvis version, which never displayed this sort of problem. If the problem exists under Jarvis it's likely a problem with the Vista installation which is fairly recent, as some time ago for other reasons I performed a clean install of Windows Vista.

Krypton has a lot of improvements, and Estuary is turning heads. Vista needs all the subsequent patches after the last update, that might be the issue, and might be a bit tricky getting them back. I suggest dropping a bundle on one of those new Kaby Lake systems, and be set for another ten or twenty.
Quote:Yes I have a portable usb drive with Kodi Linux installed. Possibly could switch to Linux or possibly install Kodi on another XP machine I have as a backup in case something goes haywire with the Vista Machine.

You must be making a lot of hay, Blow the budget on a Raspberry Pi.
I'll sit on it for a while to determine where the problem lie.

Possibly it could be the fault of this older Thinkcenter that was at one time under warranty. I was impressed, PC failed to boot Lenovo came out to a small town beyond the city and suburbs and replaced the motherboard free of charge.

The problem has only existed while running Kodi. I think it possibly could be problem related to having Jarvis and Krypton installed on the same drive using the same profile folder.

Other than rebooting, very infrequently, while running Kodi this older Thinkcentre (under Vista x64) has worked flawlessly without any problems.
Its admirable your time with technology and getting so much productive use out of hardware. Vista is just too old, even Windows 7 is on its last legs now and not supported on the latest hardware.

Given Windows 7 is now over 7 years old, a PC running Vista is going to be pretty old and obsolete now

If your looking at a cheap Windows Kodi box, I would suggest one of the new Intel compute sticks
They only consume a few watts of power
Support H264 and H265 hardware decoding
Come with Windows 10

They make a nice Kodi box and I use one attached to my bedroom TV, plugging straight into HDMI. Kodi on Windows (or Linux) is much easier than the landfill Android boxes which cause users so many problems.
I don't know anything about Compute sticks. Appears to be something worth looking at.

I
Now that you have provided your credentials as to being (words saved for a kindness), and it appears we have ~ similar background, although my first computer only had 16K and sported an 8080A processor; that did have colour graphics prior to Apple and IBM! This whole discussion has slipped sideways, so on point-> the revelation that you harbour a sealed windows 8 (with some win 10 potential), I feel you have the tools for this solve, but like Frank Sinatra, 'you want it your way'.

Kodi, it'll put a spring in your step and help you clean out your mouldy collection of hardware.
After re-installing Kodi Krypton, one thing I noticed , are the cbsnews add-ons that I used everyday no longer will install from a cbsnews add-on zip file. I read somewhere the cbsnews addoons are no longer supported, which is a disappointment.

After installing Kodi Jarvis in another folder, without uninstalling Kodi Krypton I tried installing the cbsnews from an add-on zip file, no luck with installing under Jarvis either.

I read somewhere if you copy an old working installation cbsnews add-on files over to Kodi's new installation folder where the add-on files exist it works. However when I clean installed Krypton I decided not to backup the universal Kodi folder. So the once working add-on files no longer exist on the hd.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 RC3 PC rebooting - (Vista)0