Does Kodi change the original file. [N00B question...]
I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

I current have a huge Multimedia Library that I have been curating for many years. KODI looks like a great platform to get involved in but i have a concern about my media library.

Does KODI change the original source file in any way(name, metadata, location, etc.) or is all the info stored in KODI/KODI files?

I don't want to try transitioning away from my current system if i can't easily revert back.

I have tried other programs in the past that i didn't like...
No it doesn't.

However like many media players it does need the files to be in a certain structure and naming convention for the scrapers to work properly. That may or may not be compatible with how you currently have your storage set up. Depending on set-up it can add artwork files etc to the same folder as your movies if you set it up to do so, but it won't touch the files themselves.

Have a look at the wiki entry on naming video files (wiki) for more details on the requirements for movies, shows and music naming to see if it works for you or not. That is presuming you want to work with the library mode and full metadata display - Kodi can run in simple file mode with any file naming structure and just act as a dumb player.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi change the original file. [N00B question...]0