Kodi 17 - AutoStart Kodi (Windows 10) without Launcher4Kodi?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
luci5r Offline
I'm currently running the Kodi v17 "Krypton" RC3 version on Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Is there a way to autostart Kodi once the machine boots up, without using the Launcher4Kodi program? I've used Launcher4Kodi in the past but I've had nothing but problems with it. Would like to try a different way to autostart Kodi in Windows boot.

Thanks!
find quote
FXB78 Offline
I just put a shortcut to Kodi in the startup folder. It's not elegant or seamless but it does the job perfectly well.
(This post was last modified: 2017-01-26 19:21 by FXB78.)
find quote
snarfo Offline
That's what I did, too. You can quickly get to your startup folder by opening a run dialog (Windows + r) and entering 'shell:startup' in the box. Just drag a Kodi shortcut in there and done.
find quote
MadScientist Offline
A more elegant solution is to boot Kodi under a custom user interface which is what I do.

Run the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), then navigate to:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System and then select “Custom User Interface”

Enable it and enter the entire path of Kodi.exe
(ie: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe).

Win 10 will then boot into Kodi and bypass the Explorer shell

To get back into Windows from Kodi. Exit Kodi and then start the task manager (Ctrl:Alt:Del) and run task ‘explorer.exe’
find quote
Livin Offline
Posting Freak
I just installed win10 and have been thinking about running kodi as shell, only thing keeping me from it is Blue Iris. I occasionally, rarely but I do, bring up BI on screen.
Any easy way (harmony remote button) to switch between kodi and blue iris?

Sent from my SM-G935U (typie typie)

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
find quote
Ballssobig Offline
(2017-01-26 22:38)snarfo Wrote:  That's what I did, too. You can quickly get to your startup folder by opening a run dialog (Windows + r) and entering 'shell:startup' in the box. Just drag a Kodi shortcut in there and done.

but it won´t start minimized that way, correct?

and how can i put it into the info area?
i don´t want it visible on the taskbar.

for something that popular i must say i miss a lot of things in kodi after 3 days of testing.
there is not even a checkbox "start with windows"???

you really need an addon for such a basic feature?
find quote
blossom24 Offline
Donor
(2017-03-21 00:03)Ballssobig Wrote:  
(2017-01-26 22:38)snarfo Wrote:  That's what I did, too. You can quickly get to your startup folder by opening a run dialog (Windows + r) and entering 'shell:startup' in the box. Just drag a Kodi shortcut in there and done.

for something that popular i must say i miss a lot of things in kodi after 3 days of testing.

What Confused!!!
Do you actually understand what this software is?

Silverstone GD08 - i5-4440 - Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - G.Skill Ares 24GB - Samsung 840BWEVO120 - Storage 14tb - Antec EA650Platinum
Denon AVR X7200WA - Panasonic TH-P55VT30A - Monitor Audio Silver
Windows 10 (64bit) - Jarvis 17- Aeon Nox
find quote
Ballssobig Offline
(2017-03-21 01:05)blossom24 Wrote:  
(2017-03-21 00:03)Ballssobig Wrote:  

What Confused!!!
Do you actually understand what this software is?

do you understand what i wrote?

can you name a mediaserver that is unable (has no option) to be started with windows or that can´t be minimized into system tray?

it may not the way you use it but many people just use kodi as a upnp server for other devices.
(This post was last modified: 2017-03-21 01:18 by Ballssobig.)
find quote
blossom24 Offline
Donor
There are options to start Kodi with windows. Three of them have been mentioned in this thread!

You are correct that it may not be the way I use it, but if YOU use it contrary to its original intended purpose, that is your prerogative but stop knocking it.

Silverstone GD08 - i5-4440 - Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - G.Skill Ares 24GB - Samsung 840BWEVO120 - Storage 14tb - Antec EA650Platinum
Denon AVR X7200WA - Panasonic TH-P55VT30A - Monitor Audio Silver
Windows 10 (64bit) - Jarvis 17- Aeon Nox
find quote
Ballssobig Offline
(2017-03-21 01:25)blossom24 Wrote:  You are correct that it may not be the way I use it, but if YOU use it contrary to its original intended purpose, that is your prerogative but stop knocking it.

what utter nonsense..... why do you think kodi has server build in?

http://kodi.wiki/view/UPnP/Server

do you actually understand what this software can do? LOL....

Quote:There are options to start Kodi with windows. Three of them have been mentioned in this thread!

too bad that was not the issue.

the issue i was talking about was that kodi has no BUILT IN feature to achieve that.

Quote:there is not even a checkbox "start with windows"???
(This post was last modified: 2017-03-21 01:39 by Ballssobig.)
find quote
donbrew Offline
Because Kodi is not a service it is a program? If you only want a media server you could use Plex.
find quote
jools5000 Offline
While it would be nice to have a Kodi service backend and a GUI frontend, the software simply is not (at least currently) designed to work that way

Complaining in that manner is not very repsectful to the developers who work for free on the program. If you want a pure media server, then by all means try Plex or other programs that do that
find quote