Req Music Library playing a saved playlist shows wrong artwork
(2017-02-06, 14:47)jjd-uk Wrote: One question I've got is why do you sit in the Current Playlist view? why not switch to the full screen music view where you can always see the fanart and covers for the currently playing item, is because you like seeing what's coming up next from the full track listing.

Good question. Why stay in a nav screen if what you want is a display of what is playing, @tkgafs?
Is it that the player display(s) don't show enough detail about what is playing e.g genre, album artists etc.
(2017-02-06, 14:47)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 11:37)tkgafs Wrote: I have always consider a playlist as a single continuous list which can be scrolled up and down never thought of them as having pages

One question I've got is why do you sit in the Current Playlist view? why not switch to the full screen music view where you can always see the fanart and covers for the currently playing item, is because you like seeing what's coming up next from the full track listing.

(2017-02-06, 12:54)DaveBlake Wrote: Would a player on screen display that looked like the nav srcreen in layout, info shown etc. not provide a better feature? You could switch to it or away at any point.

Depending on tkgafs answer to the above, I wondered if you could add an overlay to the full screen music window that could be toggled on and off to display the playlist track listing.

Yes I like to know where I am in a playlist, and what is coming up or what has just been played.

I dont think I knew about full screen mode at all and I've been using Kodi for years I will investigate it further
I have found your descriptions as to why the design of the current playlist view is the way it is, most helpful.

I pretty much from day one have used the random party mode rarely using playlists except for specific circumstances such as a party or the like.

I always saw in the party mode the info about the playing track update as it changed, and I could scroll down the list and see the info about each track in turn, so when I saw that playlists did not do the same thing I presumed a bug or at least implementation oversight.

I would never have considered the current playlist view as a navigation list but I see that it in fact is.

I have looked at the fullscreen playback and to be honest I hate it, mainly because of the fanart, but also there is not as much info about the song.

I like to be able to see what is queued up awating play and the level of detail available about the track and actually I'd like to see more info here.

If you can find someway to create an overlay that could be invoked that works like party mode but for a predetemined list or queued tracks that would be great

eg would it be possible to have a switch that in effect loaded the current playlist into a party mode playlist, ie I have loaded a playlist or queued some tracks (not sure if there is a difference) now use these tracks as the list of tracks party mode can choose from as though it were a smart playlist rule

I'm not sure if Im explaining myself clearly here but I'm sure you ask anything relevant
(2017-02-06, 16:31)tkgafs Wrote: I have looked at the fullscreen playback and to be honest I hate it, mainly because of the fanart, but also there is not as much info about the song.

The first point can easily be addressed as fanart display can be turn off in skin settings normally, and the second point will likely depend on the skin you use as it's up them how little or how much info is displayed. Out of interest which skin do you use?
(2017-02-06, 17:39)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 16:31)tkgafs Wrote: I have looked at the fullscreen playback and to be honest I hate it, mainly because of the fanart, but also there is not as much info about the song.

The first point can easily be addressed as fanart display can be turn off in skin settings normally, and the second point will likely depend on the skin you use as it's up them how little or how much info is displayed. Out of interest which skin do you use?

confluence
Ok so in Confluence go to Skin Settings (Interface -> Skin -> Configure skin...) then in "Background Options" select "Hide fanart in full screen visualisation". I'm also still not sure what Info you could be missing though, the only thing I don't see in full screen music which is in the Media Info view for "Now playing" is the Year of the track.
the year is one of the things I most want to see, I tried hiding the fanart but it didnt seem to work for every track and I cant fathom out why
(2017-02-06, 18:56)tkgafs Wrote: I tried hiding the fanart but it didnt seem to work for every track and I cant fathom out why

Strange.

So as a concept then, with the addition of a option to have a track listing overlay (perhaps a more limited 8 to 10 track listing) and addition of Year, do you think it might be something that could work for you?
(2017-02-06, 19:11)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 18:56)tkgafs Wrote: I tried hiding the fanart but it didnt seem to work for every track and I cant fathom out why

Strange.

So as a concept then, with the addition of a option to have a track listing overlay (perhaps a more limited 8 to 10 track listing) and addition of Year, do you think it might be something that could work for you?

Probably, although Id be keen to see a mock up before committing myself
I think we are getting somewhere.
(2017-02-06, 16:31)tkgafs Wrote: I pretty much from day one have used the random party mode rarely using playlists except for specific circumstances such as a party or the like.

I always saw in the party mode the info about the playing track update as it changed, and I could scroll down the list and see the info about each track in turn, so when I saw that playlists did not do the same thing I presumed a bug or at least implementation oversight.

I would never have considered the current playlist view as a navigation list but I see that it in fact is.
I have also spotted why you could have thought party mode behaved differently to display of playback of other playlists. In party mode the previously played track is removed from the list, so focus at the top of the list is always on the currently playing song, and it looks like it is tracking what is playing (until you move the cursor). All other song lists the played items remain, and focus stays where it is until you move it.

Quote:I have looked at the fullscreen playback and to be honest I hate it, mainly because of the fanart, but also there is not as much info about the song.

I like to be able to see what is queued up awating play and the level of detail available about the track and actually I'd like to see more info here.
Now that makes lots of sense to me Smile
A minimalistic player OSD makes sense for video, but for music if I was watching anything while I play then being able to see lots of info as well as/or instead of art is reasonable. Especially when the artist and album info is changing every song.

The artist art also whinds me up, 80s artists pictured like the old men that we are now glaring out the screen at me.... :p

Quote:If you can find someway to create an overlay that could be invoked that works like party mode but for a predetemined list or queued tracks that would be great

eg would it be possible to have a switch that in effect loaded the current playlist into a party mode playlist, ie I have loaded a playlist or queued some tracks (not sure if there is a difference) now use these tracks as the list of tracks party mode can choose from as though it were a smart playlist rule

I'm not sure if Im explaining myself clearly here but I'm sure you ask anything relevant
Humm.... I don't think you really want to lose the last played track from the list (which is why party mode tracks what is playing in the way you like). That is accident, let's see if we can do some design.

Let's go full circle, design does that sometimes :p

What you want is the current playlist display to return focus to the currently playing item after the cursor has been inactive for a while. You kind of get this behavior when time delay takes the screen into full screen player mode, and then you ESC back to the current playlist. Such an optional facility could be possible. Optional because some people will get upset that focus doesn't stay where they leave it. I don't think the reverse a "stop tracking play and switch back to where I last placed the focus" facility is as viable, just too much jumping around. The simplicity here is just taking the focus to the current playing song will deliver the required screen display.

I had sketched out some new OSD that looked like navigation screen view with songs content plus player controls etc., but always tracked the playing song, never the focus. I started dragging you all with me in that direction, then I realised that this was silly, no need for yet more screens etc. I fear that listening a to a playlist of all my short (<2mins) songs all day, something I never do, may have effected me!

I have never looked at the current playlist so much either - normally I just queue some albums from a remote app. So not saying I know how to implement it exactly of course, but an "auto return focus to current playing song" option for the current playlist screen seems reasonable to me now.
This is a crude mockup of my idea.

So the track listing is an overlay on the existing full screen music window.
Actually I personally would not be bothered if the last played track did vanish off the top of the list as long as it was only the loaded copy of the list not the actual saved playlist, as thats what I'm used to in the party mode anyway, although to be fair there has been occasions when the tv screen is off and someone says whats that that's playing just now and of course if I cant remember the exact details by the time the tv is on the track has finished !!.

In general I'd like to be able to see as much info as possible about the track

I also like to know the total length of the current playlist as well as the duration of the current track and the how far through it we are
(2017-02-06, 20:30)jjd-uk Wrote: This is a crude mockup of my idea.

So the track listing is an overlay on the existing full screen music window.

add in the media info column that shows in the current confluence current playlist view, and the total duration of the current playlist then as far as I'm concerned your'e good to go.

As you said earlier you're showing about 10 tracks would it be possible to scroll down through a much longer playlist ?
What have I started?Confused

How about an "auto return focus to current playing song" option for the current playlist screen?
If not obvious that was just a quick paint shop job Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library playing a saved playlist shows wrong artwork0