Library nodes in home screen
I'm considering replacing the home screen category paths with direct library node access to support editing library nodes.

Example: before I used:
Code:
ActivateWindow(Videos,videodb://movies/titles/,Return)

But using this approach, edits to the library nodes are ignored.

I'm considering this instead:
Code:
ActivateWindow(Videos,library://video/movies/titles.xml,Return)

I can't see any other skins using this approach (might have missed some though).

Any thoughts on this?
Performance?
Pros and cons?
I am... For me it works.. i haven't figured out 100℅ how to control where it goes back to though... Sometime after digging deeper in when I press back on the titles it will take me to the parent folder the the list of genres and sort methods that I am trying to avoid.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4092 for a discussion about using nodes. Basically it all falls apart when users don't copy the entire library structure or when they edit/rename the default nodes.
Thanks guys for answering.

(2017-02-13, 12:00)smitchell6879 Wrote: I am... For me it works.. i haven't figured out 100℅ how to control where it goes back to though... Sometime after digging deeper in when I press back on the titles it will take me to the parent folder the the list of genres and sort methods that I am trying to avoid.

I have no issues at all with usability.
And using the ",Return" parameter helps exiting back to the home screen.

(2017-02-13, 13:49)BigNoid Wrote: See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4092 for a discussion about using nodes. Basically it all falls apart when users don't copy the entire library structure or when they edit/rename the default nodes.

This is exactly one of my worries: if the default nodes are edited (or even deleted!) and something goes wrong. Most users won't know how to fix it, resulting in the home screen categories being broken.
Why you don't just use smart playlists and store them in your skin extras folder?
They are basically the same as nodes and noone is able to edit it them without open them manually

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Your Movies</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</smartplaylist>

Code:
ActivateWindow(Videos,special://skin/extras/allmovies.xsp,Return)
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
My idea was to support the editing of Kodi's library nodes throughout the skin - especially in the home screen.

I have built in support for the library node editor addon.

I use smart playlist for some widgets and other places.

But for the same reasons it wasn't implemented in Confluence, I don't think I'll add it in Rapier.
(2017-02-13, 14:03)Gade Wrote: Thanks guys for answering.

(2017-02-13, 12:00)smitchell6879 Wrote: I am... For me it works.. i haven't figured out 100℅ how to control where it goes back to though... Sometime after digging deeper in when I press back on the titles it will take me to the parent folder the the list of genres and sort methods that I am trying to avoid.

I have no issues at all with usability.
And using the ",Return" parameter helps exiting back to the home screen..

I have the return as well and most of the time it does go to the home screen... But for what ever reason I times I end up n the mix.

(2017-02-13, 15:08)sualfred Wrote: Why you don't just use smart playlists and store them in your skin extras folder?
They are basically the same as nodes and noone is able to edit it them without open them manually

Best idea yet... For me at least I am using them everywhere else and that should have more control on what goes where.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
Sorry to chime in but i have said this time and time again...

People always says why don't you just use smart playlists and this and that but the fact is, Kodi should implement unlimited SEPARATE libraries.

I HAVE to edit the default nodes to exclude the adult material. Smart playlists are fine to display subsets of your main library but when you want to make sure the recently added or the random scripts/widgets won't show your Asa Akira collection, you are shit outta luck...

I have separate libraries on Plex and i can decide if the adult movies are even shown on the recently added or not. Everything is completely segregated and super easily selectable.

Right now i am forced to use multiple profiles to hide the adult stuff and still be able to use all the widgets i want...

You should have seen my face the 1st time i edited the nodes and the fanart screensaver showed a graphic fanart and i had co-workers over!

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library nodes in home screen0