v17 Use multiple profiles? Don't upgrade to KODI 17
Sad 
Folks,

Profiles are broken in K17

Long term KODI / XBMC / XBMP user on multiple platforms and versions.

This is the first time, in a long time that I can remember, that a major release has had something that just flat-out didn't work, that has been working for many many previous releases.

Me: Win10 64Bit box, w/ NVidia graphics (Gforce 640). I run 7 profiles, with all my media on a remote server, and I keep several boxes of various OS's DB's in sync with MySQL.

I upgraded my K16 to k17, and saw the new skin. Not thrilled, I thought I would give Confluence a try on K17. But my profiles seemed to have a problem. Main User was OK, but when I selected any of the other profiles, Confluence didn't come up and could not be selected.

See the details at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306471

It's there that Hitcher suggested that I try it with just Estuary, not Confluence. So I wiped everything completely, started over, and found that it wasn't Confluence, but KODI 17 itself that was not working correctly in a profile.

Once I realized that, I searched and found a thread of others that use profiles that also found the same issue as I.

See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...id=2525117

People were stating that they have found this to be a problem since K17RC2, but no one from the Dev team decided to address the issue. That is from January 2nd until today, still with no assistance.

So, I have gone back to KODI 16.1, where profiles still work.

I know that cross-posting is not appreciated, but it is my hope that in the Windows forum, this will at least be seen by the Devs (as well as others that won't need to lose hours in frustration).

Best regards,

Vincent
I can confirm that there is a bug. When loading a profile for the first time, all add-on skins are marked as disabled, and skin Estuary is forced to load. Skin add-ons can be enabled from add-on manager, after which they can be selected as in-use skin.

Trac ticket 17338 here: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17338

scott s.
Thank you for entering this bug into tracker.

I optimistically look forward to a resolution in K17.1
Wish I'd seen this before I made the move to Krypton, caused me no end of problems. Switched back to Jarvis, but I've still got the bug in SPMC too. Wish there were a temporary "fix" until it gets resolved.
After some discussion, it appears this behavior is by design. Addon's in profiles by default are disabled, and must be enabled as desired in each profile.

scott s.
Scott,

While I would like to thank you for a quick reply, I can... but as to a correct answer, I can't.

If you are telling me that each profile when added comes up "bare"... Well, I can handle that.

Unfortunately, when using profiles, it's worse than that.... in 17.1 "stable", create a profile, and once you start it, just TRY to select another skin. It is not an option that is available. it just insists that the two skins there are all you get. so that means that when profiles are created, there is something in that process that is lost. The dots are not being connected.

The problem is happening to many folks, profiles is broken, and it has net been addressed since February.

Now, for my OPINION:
* the new skin is not inline with the intent of the design on a large screen (the old "10 foot user interface"), it is a poor design.

* 17.1 went out with profiles as a known bug , causing frustration with many users... I don't want my wife's self-help vids to be in the same profile as zombies & action flicks... maybe it's just me, but profiles are important. (and I don't care about this recording from some cable card or being an amp and doing signal processing... I HAVE that stuff. I just want this to PRESENT, which is what this should be: a MEDIA CENTER, not a complete all encompassing audio system.

* 16.1 is the last good release of KODI (or the last real release of XBMC). Like Audiomonk, I too have went back to a real stable release.

* While I'm on a rant: The politics is too much, the pseudo-corporate approach of the development team is dumb, and the new website design (which doesn't allow for comments) really makes this feel like an uncaring startup, and not the community it once was. I don't care what corporate event is the latest boondoggle... NONE of that should matter if this is a not-for-profit project.

Harrumph!

I'm a doner, and would like to continue being a doner. please ask the Devs to look into this.
Also, I went through and enabled addons after thinking this may be deliberate. Then all the changes I made on my profile over wrote the other profile and vice versa.

I saw in a post for Kodi 18 beta that the profile bug had been fixed. The coder said it was a simple fix once he could reproduce it. If only we could get this on Krypton.

As an aside I installed SPMC Jarvis, copied userdata folder from stable Jarvis Kodi. Everything worked but it then had the profile bug.
(2017-04-13, 01:14)scott967 Wrote: After some discussion, it appears this behavior is by design. Addon's in profiles by default are disabled, and must be enabled as desired in each profile.

scott s.
Is there a forum discussion somewhere?
Better than that, they've posted me a link to the fix. Only just saw it.

https://github.com/osmc/osmc/commit/70f0e01fab2
Only trouble is, I've no idea what to do with this.
(2017-04-13, 08:55)Audiomonk Wrote: Better than that, they've posted me a link to the fix. Only just saw it.

https://github.com/osmc/osmc/commit/70f0e01fab2
I'm more interested in the logic behind disabling addons in a new profile. 'Cos I can't see it.
(2017-04-13, 09:06)Audiomonk Wrote: Only trouble is, I've no idea what to do with this.
Either compile yourself with the fix, or wait for a build that includes it.
No clue on how to compile. I just thought it'd be swapping a file or two. I did see that there is a build if krypton with this fix. It's all above my head that's for sure.

I think disabled addons might be starting from scratch approach. Don't know if it's to do with the "copy default" or "start afresh" options.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298775 Is the thread I've been reading BTW.
AFAICT, that fix is specific to OSMC builds, which I guess has a feature of "OSMC Walkthrough" which was causing problems. That's for I guess RPi, better to post thre than in Windows support forum.

scott s.
Guys, I'm new here so I hope I'm in the right place. I tried to upgrade to Krypton from Jarvis on a Win. 10 comp and can't get it to work and when I tried to revert to Jarvis all I got was a message saying Kodi not responding.
So now no Kodi at all. Can anyone tell me how to get my Jarvis back?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use multiple profiles? Don't upgrade to KODI 170