[Kodi 17 Krypton] Windows 10 crash on start up GTX 980 Ti
Hi everyone,

I am a fairly new user to KODI, so far I have only tried 17 RC2 and 17.0. Recently I have encountered a serious issue, 'Crash on start up'!
I tried many methods, but nothing work out.

Here were some solutions I have tried:
1. Fresh install (Remove data from program file + Roam)
2. Re-install Nvidia graphic driver (Tried both express and clean install)
3. Tried KODI 16, 17, and even 18 alpha, didn't work

However, completely remove my graphic card did make KODI works once more, but this certainly is not an option for me.

Though I am pretty sure, there is something to do with the graphic card, but I have no clue how to solve this issue.

Could anyone kindly provide any alternative fix to that?

Thanks!

Here is my rig:
CPU: i7 4790 3.60 GHz
GPU Nvidia GeForece GTX 980 Ti
RAM: 16 GB
System: Windows 10 64 bit

Kodi Log:
http://pastebin.com/KNrUVQU9
Hm, sounds like a pretty deep-seated problem if it affects all versions of Kodi. I have a 980Ti on win10 and have had no crashing problems with Kodi 16.x or 17.x

As it seems related to Nvidia drivers and/or software though, you could try the following:

- Download DDU, boot to Safe Mode and run it.
- After reboot, reinstall latest Nvidia drivers
- Open Geforce Experience and in the Settings (cog top right) section, disable 'Share'

Also, make you quit any apps or helpers to do with gaming/GPU like MSI Afterburner, RTSS etc.
First, thanks for your reply beeswax.

Your solution helped me out to clean some junks on my PC, but it did not solve the issue I am having right now. Kodi still fails to launch and crash on the start.

I honestly hate Plex, and Kodi is the best solution for my home cinema set up.
Hm, not sure what else you can do with regard to the Nvidia drivers, I think DDU and a fresh install is as far as it's possible to go.

I'm assuming that because you can't get into the Kodi interface, the log file you've posted is only a standard log and not a full debug log. If that's the case, you can actually enable debug logging without the GUI by using AdvancedSettings.xml. Just add the following:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Then launch Kodi again and post the new log.
Turn on FXAA in the manage 3d settings. hope it helps
That idea seemed so weird I googled it and looks like it's lifted from this thread.

Some posters say that they needed to enabled MFAA, some said they had to enable FXAA. Either one makes no sense but it's worked for them so worth a go MoFM.

Another poster right at the end of the thread uninstalled Duet Display which solved it for him. This last one is interesting because as afedchin says in the other thread, Kodi doesn't use any of these AA solutions and as best I can tell, the folks in that other thread are applying these AA changes to the Global profile in the Nvidia Control Panel. Meaning it applies to everything, so it could actually be solving a problem with Duet or any other display management apps which simply has a knock-on effect of causing Kodi to crash. Before doing anything with your Global Nvidia profile, just close down any other apps that have anything even vaguely to do with display settings/calibration/monitors/GPU.
Hmmm, I just have a bog standard installation with my 980ti no global profile settings changed or anything else and never had any problems with Kodi running.

Hopefully that debug log will shed some light on this as I'm now interested to find out what's occuring here.
1st MAKE SURE WINDOWS IS UP TO DATE!
Next Download the latest Driver for the card from Nvidia BUT DO NOT INSTALL IT, and also download GEEK Uninstaller. It's a free app. It has options to search the registry and FORCE REMOVE applications and it's registry entries, and is extremely good at it.

Uninstall KODI using GEEK Force Removal. I believe you right click to Force Uninstall.

Reboot PC.

Reinstall KODI and test.

Did it work? Yes? Youre fixed.

No?

NOW:

Get to msconfig, startup. Uncheck anything Nvidia, restart pc.

Try KODI. If it works then it is an issue with one of the Nvidia apps and or driver.

If it still crashes try this.

Uninstall Drivers for card, Geoforce experience, etc.

After that Open regedit. Go to Edit FIND.

Search for Nvidia, and or Geoforce, you will have to do this multiple times to find all entries.

IF your motherboard uses Nvidia chipsets be careful here. That could be the main chipset or network card, etc. VERIFY BEFORE YOU DO THIS!

IF NOT DELETE anything found for Nvidia and Geoforce.

This should fully wipe any remnants of the driver and older drivers in the system.

Reboot. DO NOT INSTALL NEW DRIVER YET.

Try KODI. Did it blow up? No? Ok now install NEW drivers for card.

Did it blow up again? No? You're fixed.

Yes? Check settings in card, 3d settings, anti aliasing, open gl, etc.

Test KODI

Does KODI blow up now? If YES, Quite possibly the CARD has a hardware issue and I'd try to exchange or RMA the card either an exchange where you bought it, OR contact the manufacturer and RMA the card.

More times than not this is a driver related issue however, this is thorough enough to determine if your card has a hardware issue.At this point if NOTHING has worked I'm better your card is roached with a weird hardware glitch..
^ While I suppose I have to commend the effort, that's an awful post made up of 50% bad advice and 50% completely unnecessary time-wasting steps.

You don't need crap like Geek Force Removal to uninstall something as light-touch as Kodi. I'm pretty sure Kodi's own uninstaller will get rid of everything but even if not, there are only 2 folders to delete/rename for a complete removal and OP already said he did this.

Your long-winded Nvidia removal (which again, OP has already done) can be replaced with a single step: run DDU.

And the notion that this might be a hardware fault and that these steps in any way rule anything else out is frankly ridiculous.
Hi

I started having the same issue at start-up
and the solution was quite simple, maybe it will work for you.

In your Graphics card control center, check to see if Kodi has been assigned a power/use profile (ie..high performance, power saving etc..) mine was assigned to high performance, I changed it to power saving and it started working with no issues.

Hope this helps
Hi all,

First post so I hope I'm not breaking any community rules. I created this account so that I could post here and thank everybody working hard to solve this problem. I've been lurking this particular thread and a few others for several months in an attempt to figure out what was going wrong with my system and Kodi. I have GTX 980 TI FTW, and when I use Kodi, it has same/similar problems with crashing, screen tearing, etc... When I plugged the monitor directly in to the MOBO DVI port, It would work fine, but thats not really acceptable long term. I tried almost everything above with no avail....and I FINALLY figured out what my problem was. I have MSI Afterburner for overclocking the GPU. It was set to start with windows, and apparently ALWAYS interfered with the proper functioning of Kodi, whether or not it was used to actually overclock the GPU or not (I almost never OC the GPU anymore). All I had to do turn it off/do not start with windows and VIOLA, it works fine. Maybe this would have been obvious for some other people, but it wasn't for me, so I hope this helps somebody else! Thanks for all your help and hard work guys and gals! Big GrinBig Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Kodi 17 Krypton] Windows 10 crash on start up GTX 980 Ti1