Android HDR to SD conversion ?
(2017-10-15, 11:35)Koying Wrote: Not sure what you mean by "linear" RGB.
We don't do gamut conversion, if that's what you mean, at least in GLES.
I see there is some colorspace support in pure GL, but I have no clue.
Thanks for the code pointer.
When you remove the transfer function, you get linear RGB. Technically, when the display primaries are different, color transformations are to be done on linear RGB. When you upscale 480p to 720p and higher, you are supposed to transform BT. 601 to BT. 709. Doesn't Kodi do that when hardware acceleration is not in use?

Check the inverse formula table here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library...s.85).aspx
(2017-10-11, 10:15)Koying Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 09:13)wrxtasy Wrote: Please detail a Android HDR > SDR working setup for Android users.

We know and (somewhat) respect your devotion to LibreElec, but this is still the Android forum.

A reply like "That doesn't exist for Android. There is some limited support in LE for amlogic" would suffice.
It's not like it is supported on all LE platforms, is it?

Honestly, HDR->SDR support is not anything that had even crossed my mind before I saw some (or the same?) people asking for it.

Why the heck would you rip (or download) in HDR if you don't have the hardware to play it?

I'm anxiously following this thread and chiming in for a proper HDR > SDR solution to be incorporated in Kodi as well (in my case for Android). Not planning on upgrading my TV's in the near future (bought new TV's in late 2015), so would love to still be able to watch my future collection of HDR content on my non-HDR TV, instead of having to go all SDR - and then have to upgrade/replace all my SDR content with HDR when at some point I get an HDR TV.

For me such a feature would be absolutely key, so really hoping it can - and will - be adressed Smile
Hey all, joined up so I can pile on this one with a me too!

I hope this can be implemented as I too also bought my TV ~2015 and it doesnt support HDR. All the 4K content I have access to looks super washed out so I'm watching 1080p sources as I wont be able to purchase a new TV for quite a while.
With AMLogic S905X and S912 Nougat - Linux Kernel based devices (both Android and LibreELEC) HDR > SDR is handled in device Firmware regardless of the App you are using.

NVIDIA themselves will also have to do something similar I would image, unless @Koying is a miracle worker with lots of free time on his hands Wink

(2017-10-11, 10:15)Koying Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 09:13)wrxtasy Wrote: Please detail a Android HDR > SDR working setup for Android users.

Honestly, HDR->SDR support is not anything that had even crossed my mind before I saw some (or the same?) people asking for it.

Why the heck would you rip (or download) in HDR if you don't have the hardware to play it?

im just starting to run into this issue. i have an oled downstairs that has hdr and a 4k led upstairs that does not support hdr. i use nvidia shield in both places. so downstairs movies looks fine.  upstairs  they look washed out. i also use plex for remote access while on vacation and hotels dont have hdr lol. so my choices are have 2 copies and waste server space or just not get the hdr version. honestly i dont care too much about the hdr but some movies only the 4k version has an atmos track which i do care about.
I hope HDR-SDR convertion will be available soon, when I see other box which will include it soon in futur firmware update, I would kike to know if we can hope nvidia firmware update for the shield TV or just have to wait kodi team work ?
regards
(2017-10-27, 05:50)wrxtasy Wrote: NVIDIA themselves will also have to do something similar I would image, unless @Koying is a miracle worker with lots of free time on his hands Wink

I am too hoping for a miracle. :-)
With several programs (Kodi, Powerdvd,Jriver MC), playing 4K HDR image files on a non-HDR monitor will result in a dull picture with washed out colors. HDR to SDR conversion is surprisingly preserved with the free windows "movies and TV" app, which also supports streaming uncompressed audio to the receiver/processor. I am using the native windows movies and TV app to play all my 4K HDR content at this time (just right click the file and open with movies and TV) till other programs fix this issue in future firmware updates.

P
I tested 4K HDR image playback on windows 10 creators edition with the included "movies and TV app".

P
I too would appreciate this feature.
My recently bought hdr tv was demolished by an angry ex and I‘m now back to using my old 1080p TV.
I riped all my Ultra Hd blurays and liked the ease of using Kodi on my shield because my sony uhd player is quite slow.

As a note the shield also did not correctly showed 1080p content on my hdr screen so I kept my beebox running libreelc for all 1080p content and used my shield for hdr content.
Really hope that they can improve the firmware of the shield to propperly switch between sdr to hdr and hdr to sdr to make it a better all rounder.

And as always thank you for all the great work and support 👍👍👍
VLC 3.0 seems to be doing tone mapping quite well.. testing HDR files in a SDR display gives a much more vibrant picture, rather than the washed out look

I dont think it will be too long before Kodi will support this
(2017-10-08, 10:31)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-10-08, 06:33)iMak Wrote: Any progress? I also notice a washed out color when playing HDR contents on a Full HD TV.

If you have Surface rendering enabled, there is absolutely nothing we can do. If you disable surface rendering it goes through our shaders, check if there is something different.  
If I may ask, how does this apply to Windows users? I don't recall a surface rendering setting in Kodi for Windows. At any rate, I would also like to get Kodi to perform the HDR-to-SDR conversion. Perhaps Kodi 18 has this functionality?
it doesn't apply to windows. On windows and linux HDR-SDR conversion is handled (on kodi v18)
(2018-03-28, 15:45)wsnipex Wrote: it doesn't apply to windows. On windows and linux HDR-SDR conversion is handled (on kodi v18)
 Thanks! I still see washed out colors (with Coco and The Bridge on the River Kwai) on my SDR screen on the latest nightly. How do I enable the conversion, or does it (or perhaps, should it) happen automatically? EDIT: It was an older nightly I had that was the problem. It appears to be working better, but it is not quite there. See my thread in the Windows forum. Thanks for your quick reply and volunteered support. It is much appreciated every night we fire up Kodi.
(2018-03-28, 15:45)wsnipex Wrote: it doesn't apply to windows. On windows and linux HDR-SDR conversion is handled (on kodi v18)
 See this thread's post here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2719706

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR to SD conversion ?0