raspbian or not
I have a raspberry pi 3
I find some of the information I got confusing.
I use raspbian, and have a 16, 64 and 128 gig sd card; which is relevant to my questions.

Ideally I would use a 128 gig card, install raspbian and then install librelec onto that. Owing me a ton of space for apps and ram/video ram. The information I got off the wiki gives instructions how to install via raspbian.

Another option is just install libre elec onto its own card, but if that's the case I would rather not use my expensive 128 sd card. How much space do you really need, if you max things like the video cache?

Which method is best ? Which size sd card, and how can i designate most of it for video memory when using kodi?
Thread moved to the Pi section
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I have installed OpenELEC (the same as LibreELEC) on a card as small as 4GB. You can't use SD card space as video memory. You can use it to cache a video you are streaming from elsewhere, a NAS or similar.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
You don't store libreelec "into" raspbian.

LibreELEC is an operating system
Raspbian is an operating system

You can only run one at a time, and really all you need to run Kodi is LibreELEC.

16GB should be more than enough.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I thought you can install kodi onto raspbian?

Isn't the 256/256 memory relating to allocation for apps / video memory?
The reason I ask is because the pi3 has 1 gig ram (correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems from "noobs" that you don't have an option to utilize all of the available ram.
This is why I don't want to use noobs anymore, I had to many problems with it, like the inability to migrate to newer os's and I had to alter config.txt just to fully utilize the on board chip.

If I install libre elec onto a 16 gig card will that be enough? I did that once, although on noobs multi boot, and I was unable to install additional themes, screensavers or video add-ons. I was able to determine it wasn't enough ram, since uninstalling a few add-ons then made it possible to install new ones.
I can see from libre elec that there's a disk information screen, but the different figures I see there, don't make any sense, because of the way noobs/debian/libre elec works I appeared to have several different disks with varying amounts of space. Anyway when I upgraded to 64gb I never needed to worry about space for apps ever
again.

Btw can libre elec be installed onto a usb stick? If I did that but already had debian on the sd chip,in my pi3 which one will boot? This would be a good option for me too, my pi case is extremely difficult to remove/add sd cards
Yes you can install kodi on raspbian, but you can't install libreelec on raspbian as libre elec is a separate operating system designed to run just kodi.

Your Pi will be best optimised for kodi by using LibreELEC. You will be able to install addons and skins.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You can just use all of them. http://www.multibootpi.com/
(2017-02-25, 13:41)magister Wrote: You can just use all of them. http://www.multibootpi.com/

Sorry but I absolutely hate noobs. I had numerous problems with that, including a poor allocation of ram for video memory? Resulting in constant buffering, which I had to do some pretty extensive googling to rectify myself by way of configuring the config.txt. I even had to figure out why a simple procedure of removing borders, just was not working on noobs, but the exact same thing was as easy as pie when I used berry boot ( which no longer supports kodi- hence why I'm not)

That's just naming two issues. I had none with berry boot and I never intend to use noobs ever again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
raspbian or not0