• 6(current)
Choosing the right versatile box for up to $80
(2017-03-22, 01:12)Usafle Wrote:
(2017-03-21, 17:24)trogggy Wrote: Homeplugs? I'd choose them over wifi every day of the week.

I've gone the Homeplug route before. Apparently my wiring in my house isn't all directly connected so I don't even get CLOSE to the "advertised speeds" of 1GB. In fact, I got much lower speeds with the homeplug kit then I do with AC Wireless.

(2017-03-21, 17:30)wrxtasy Wrote: And this is why you pay extra money for S905 AC WiFi devices like the MINIX U1 and the WeTek Hub that are guaranteed to actually advertise correctly and give you what you pay for, with Gigabit ethernet to boot.

OR you do a whole bunch of detailed extra research over on the LibreELEC AMLogic Sub forums - and then hope you don't get duped and that Tech specs are actually correctly advertised on the clone boxes if you want AC WiFi.

Even then, same named S905 Boxes can come with different WiFi Chips, who's drivers may or may not be available. Its a bit of a minefield. Depends on how much you like to gamble with cheap AML - especially when it comes to AC WiFi support.

Well, that's why I'm here, I'm trying to learn! But when you rattle off a bunch of numbers (S905, etc...) it's hard for nubs such as myself to pick up what you are talking about.

The only standard and reliable cheap chinise brand in my research has been Beelink (with red logo) when it comes to hardware and getting what is listed. You can easily get a Beelink MiniMXIII II and that will work with LE with AC wiFi.
Mi Box is a great choice for under $80
I went and purchased the MINIX U1 even though it was much much more then I was hoping to spend. I convinced myself that I am "future proofing" in case I ever get a 4K TV in the bedroom. (we all know I'll never put a 4K TV in my bedroom LOL)
Beelink is same, krypton 17xxx do NOT support any Beelink with AMLogic s912 device

You have to use SPMC 16.6 which had implemented all AMLogic API's until kszaq can do something with LE for us

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1653-page-6.html
(2017-03-23, 16:50)jambono Wrote: Beelink is same, krypton 17xxx do NOT support any Beelink with AMLogic s912 device

You have to use SPMC 16.6 which had implemented all AMLogic API's

Yeah im not talking about the Beelink GT1 which is s912. The Beelink MiniMXIII II is s905x and works with LE including wifi based on the LE forum.
Ooops my bad .
Anyways this will come on 912 too and as I said SPMC run as hell, you can tweak contrast luminosity etc where you can NOT with kodi
I would not even bother buying anything other than the Amazon Fire TV box 2 if im honest here...

I have had silly amount of devices chinese boxers you are wasting your time rubbish firmware no support waste of money.

I had the newest Nvidia shield 4k 2017 model sent that back for a refund pile of junk in my opinion if you read of there forums they had no end of silly glitches faults, bugs. Not a stable reliable streamer. Mine basically random restarted and the remote was very poor not what you expect from £200 device.

AFTV 2 box is a solid streamer for kodi yeah takes very little work sideloading but everything works as if it was open source anyway, I have kodi,speedtest, a vpn and many other .apk files with no issues.
(2017-03-29, 15:13)rchads89 Wrote: I have had silly amount of devices chinese boxers you are wasting your time rubbish firmware no support waste of money.
And were you running android or libreelec on all these boxes?
(2017-03-29, 15:18)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 15:13)rchads89 Wrote: I have had silly amount of devices chinese boxers you are wasting your time rubbish firmware no support waste of money.

Android, but you have a problem with these no brand chinese jump who you going to turn to? 90% of people you buy these boxes from don't want to know when you have a problem no support, no warranty waste of time and money.
(2017-03-29, 15:25)rchads89 Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 15:18)trogggy Wrote:

Android, but you have a problem with these no brand chinese jump who you going to turn to? 90% of people you buy these boxes from don't want to know when you have a problem no support, no warranty waste of time and money.
I'm very happy with my S905 boxes on libreelec. The support from the libreelec forum (from kszaq mainly) is way (ridiculously) more than I'd ever expect from a manufacturer, the boxes cost peanuts and run kodi really well - if you're prepared to do a little reading and get your hands dirty. Your android experience is only relevant to android.
(2017-03-29, 15:43)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 15:25)rchads89 Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 15:18)trogggy Wrote: And were you running android or libreelec on all these boxes?

I'm very happy with my S905 boxes on libreelec. The support from the libreelec forum (from kszaq mainly) is way (ridiculously) more than I'd ever expect from a manufacturer, the boxes cost peanuts and run kodi really well - if you're prepared to do a little reading and get your hands dirty. Your android experience is only relevant to android.

I know how Libreelec works but other people won't bother looking into something as great as that unfortunately. If I had a s905 or 905x I would run Libreelec but im happy with AFTV box its the best box you can buy for kodi in my opinion solid streamer.

If I was to buy a box with say a S905x I would buy it from these guys:

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/product...v-box-ota/

£45 proper 1 year warranty, support. OTA updates.
(2017-03-29, 16:18)rchads89 Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 15:43)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 15:25)rchads89 Wrote: Android, but you have a problem with these no brand chinese jump who you going to turn to? 90% of people you buy these boxes from don't want to know when you have a problem no support, no warranty waste of time and money.

I know how Libreelec works but other people won't bother looking into something as great as that unfortunately. If I had a s905 or 905x I would run Libreelec but im happy with AFTV box its the best box you can buy for kodi in my opinion solid streamer.

Yeah, those android ota updates will really help with libreelec.
(2017-03-29, 16:33)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 16:18)rchads89 Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 15:43)trogggy Wrote: I'm very happy with my S905 boxes on libreelec. The support from the libreelec forum (from kszaq mainly) is way (ridiculously) more than I'd ever expect from a manufacturer, the boxes cost peanuts and run kodi really well - if you're prepared to do a little reading and get your hands dirty. Your android experience is only relevant to android.

Yeah, those android ota updates will really help with libreelec.

More support really if something goes wrong with the box itself.
Explain to me why its all about Libreelec all of a sudden? People looking into buying a box won't look into installing Libreelec infact I bet 90% of people won't.
(2017-03-29, 16:37)rchads89 Wrote: More support really if something goes wrong with the box itself.
Explain to me why its all about Libreelec all of a sudden? People looking into buying a box won't look into installing Libreelec infact I bet 90% of people won't.
All of a sudden? No, you've lost me.
What 90% of people do has zero impact on what I, you or anyone else chooses to do.
Maybe have a read of this thread for some opinions of android vs libreelec on the chinese boxes.
(2017-03-29, 16:51)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 16:37)rchads89 Wrote: More support really if something goes wrong with the box itself.
All of a sudden? No, you've lost me.
What 90% of people do has zero impact on what I, you or anyone else chooses to do.
Maybe have a read of this thread for some opinions of android vs libreelec on the chinese boxes.

I have lost you? you lost me several posts back trying to justify buying cheap chinese boxes, just because you have put libreelec on them.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choosing the right versatile box for up to $800