Kodi / HDHomeRun
(2017-03-07, 06:01)rpcameron Wrote: I'm chiming in here after the head's up from nickr. My troubles with HDHR tuners and DHCP aren't really relevant to the OP's concern (the Dual's lack GbE, and the DHCP issues seem to be tied to a gigabit connection), however I have learned a few things that might help.

For many months I successfully ran a situation similar to what the OP is acking about: HDHR devices with self-assigned APIPA addresses (169.254.0.0/16). If the computer you are using has 2 NICs, you can set one to have a static IP of 169.254.1.1/16 (actually, anything in the 169.254.0.0/16 subnet should work). Then connect this NIC to a switch that is shared with your HDHR devices. When the HDHR devices cannot contact a DHCP server, they will self-assign themselves APIPA addresses in the 169.254.0.0/16 subnet, allowing you to discover and interact with them on the NIC that you gave the static IP to.

Then, keep the other NIC (ethernet or wifi, doesn't particularly matter) to get its connection for your main network, however that may be.

There are a few caveats with this situation, though. Firstly, if your devices cannot talk to the internet (which will be the case in this situation) you cannot rely upon SiliconDust's servers to give you guide data. The reason for this is that part of the boot process for HDHR tuners is to talk to SD's servers to obtain a "DeviceAuth" token. SD's software (HDHomeRun View, including the Kodi video addon version) using this token to authenticate whether a device/request for guide data is authorized; no token, no data, and therefore no guide. (I believe the pvr.hdhomerun addon, which integrates the HDHR devices into Kodi's native PVR interface, also uses this token and method to obtain guide data.) Short answer, if you run your HDHRs without access to the internet, you cannot use SiliconDust's guide data.

If you use a third-party PVR this is not a problem. I have successfully done this with both Tvheadend and MythTV. Since you are running Windows you would probably have to look at NextPVR or MediaPortal. I don't run Windows on any of my machines, so I can't really help you with that part.

The second part of your question may be a problem. Because of the way APIPA works, devices with self-assigned addresses cannot communicate outside of their subnet. Streaming from HDHR devices is generally a 3-step process: first tune the HDHR to the desired channel or frequency/program; second, the receiving device (such as your computer) opens a port and starts listening for a connection from the HDHR; and finally, the HDHR starts streaming its feed to the address and port requested in the previous step. Since the HDHR cannot see outside its subnet with a self-assigned APIPA address, it cannot stream to computers on your regular LAN.

If you are interested in maintaining your HDHR mini-network in this way, go for it. Just know that you are going to need some software on the computer that interfaces with the HDHRs to handle the streaming to the rest of your network. From my personal experience, MythTV and Tvheadend have worked great with this. With Windows, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks, I'll mull over your comments later tonight when I have my head clear. I'm not limited to a Windows solution, in fact it was just a bit easier to use my Windows 10 laptop initially but I had planned on using these devices with Kodi and possibly Tvheadend in the longer term. FWIW, the LAN isn't gigabit capable. Whilst the actual router is, there is a 10/100 switch in the system
Are you saying that you have set up a DHCP reservation based upon the HDHR MAC addresses, and the HDHRs are not accepting the addresses? What do the logs from your DHCP server say? (When I have problems with the HDHR units not getting an address, it's because the HDHR devices never send a DHCPREQUEST, only a continuous loop of DHCPDISCOVER from the HDHRs followed by DHCPOFFER by my server, but never the DHCPREQUEST/DHCPACK pairing to goes with an assignment.)

It very well could be a version/firmware issue between the firmware on your HDHR units and the firmware of your router (or the version of your DHCP server). What firmware are the HDHR units running? What is your model of router, and which firmware version is it running, and which DHCP server/version does it run?
(2017-03-07, 08:47)rpcameron Wrote: Are you saying that you have set up a DHCP reservation based upon the HDHR MAC addresses, and the HDHRs are not accepting the addresses? What do the logs from your DHCP server say? (When I have problems with the HDHR units not getting an address, it's because the HDHR devices never send a DHCPREQUEST, only a continuous loop of DHCPDISCOVER from the HDHRs followed by DHCPOFFER by my server, but never the DHCPREQUEST/DHCPACK pairing to goes with an assignment.)

I haven't checked, will do that a bit later tonight

It very well could be a version/firmware issue between the firmware on your HDHR units and the firmware of your router (or the version of your DHCP server). What firmware are the HDHR units running? What is your model of router, and which firmware version is it running, and which DHCP server/version does it run?

Router is a common or garden variety Netcomm NB6. Those things are the mainstay of ADSL connections in Australia and there must be zillions still in service. Just about every ISP in the country uses them because they a cheap and reliable.I Mine is probably obsolete now that optic fibre is getting rolled out and I doubt there is a firmware update available. Also have a Cisco 887 but if anything was going to have a hissy-fit, that would be the one. There won't ever be fibre whereI am in the middle of world heritage rainforest but I have a really good ADSL and 4.5 G WiFi if I want it.

HDHR firmware is 20161117

I will be at a place tomorrow that has NBN optic fibre and a current model Netcomm router. Will try the HDHR's there to see what happens.
The thread I referred to above seems to indicate that updating the firmware on the HDHR may help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-07, 10:17)nickr Wrote: The thread I referred to above seems to indicate that updating the firmware on the HDHR may help.

As far as I'm aware, 20161117 is the latest available
(2017-03-07, 12:35)Praxidice Wrote:
(2017-03-07, 10:17)nickr Wrote: The thread I referred to above seems to indicate that updating the firmware on the HDHR may help.

Correct. There are beta firmwares that are newer, but in general all they seem to relate to mostly are tweaks for SD's own DVR software.

I would also recommend opening a support ticket; but your success with that may vary. (I have a ticket open for my own issues with my Primes: the last info I have from SD is that they are "investigating" the issue which I opened nearly a year ago, and that last contact from them was 29 Oct, over 4 months ago. Some users have great support, others not so much ...)
I idle in their official support chan I suggest that you join and idle as well. Also may be worth trying the beta fw: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...19&t=20613
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

The thread I pointed to mentions 20161119 and 20161206beta1

EDIT: I see the 20161119 is for another model to what @Praxidice and I are using in Australasia
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-07, 23:34)nickr Wrote:

The thread I pointed to mentions 20161119 and 20161206beta1

EDIT: I see the 20161119 is for another model to what @Praxidice and I are using in Australasia
Correct. The 19 Nov firmware was to fix a small bug for a reboot loop on the ATSC/US version of the Extend (the transcoding model).

Personally I would recommend staying away from beta firmwares as they have been known to introduce some random bugs. I am uncertain if DVB models of HDHR devices can be downgraded in the event of wanting to return to an earlier firmware, but I do know that the Prime cannot be downgraded. (I've heard conflicting information on this: one post on the SD forums mentioned that some firmwares can be downgraded, while another post said that to maintain consistency downgrading was not possible for any model.)

One more thing to double-check: your power adapter. This is often the first item to fail on HDHR units, and poor power units have been known to cause network issues. The specs for the power adapter can be found here:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...15&t=19204
That is a very good point about the power supply, the power supplies have a reputation for failing gradually and introducing very hard to diagnose problems.

LOL I just looked at my HDHR3-DT and it's firmware is 20110414.

Perhaps that's why it still works well.

I have a brand new HDHR4-2DT still in box, it'll be interesting to see how it goes on the network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi / HDHomeRun0