Advice on choosing hardware after reading 'Start Here' post
Hi,

Im pretty new to Kodi, been playing with the PC version for a few weeks.
The other day I installed Kodi 14.2 on my AppleTV2 because ultimately I want to be able to watch it on my big TV (not using computer output to TV). I was pretty disappointed with the results (constant crashing ans jerky picture). Im sure a lot has to to with the outdated version of Kodi and the lack of horsepower of the ATV.

I read the 'START HERE' post but still have some questions and need some advice about what hardware I should try.

My need as are pretty basic, my TV (really a large monitor) only is 720p but I need and optical audio out on the Kodi device since the monitor doesn't have audio. Looking for a more stable device then ATV2 and hope to eventually be able to set it up so it is more appliance like (and wife friendly). Fairly small footprint and low power usage would be nice (ie not computer based).

I was considering one of the FireTV devices. Is the Kodi experience going to be much better than with ATV?
If I do go with a FireTV are the Gen2 significantly better (ie I prefer the built in optical output on G1)?

Thoughts on the FireTV or recommendations meeting my criteria would be appreciated.
FireTV has it's own interface, separate from the other TV boxes. The FireTV/Stick are heavily geared towards Amazon services, so they are good if you are big Amazon user. I was considering them for my HTPC set up as well. However, I don't care for a very different GUI than most Android TV boxes, and I don't use Amazon's premium services. Also, I think the Fire's come with their own Google Play Store, one supported by Amazon. So you must sideload Kodi.

I think I have decided on the Xiaomi Mi Box. It's minimal and does everything I need, for now. It is an "official" Android TV box, so it's more likely to be supported and updated...I assume.

A lot of boxes do not come with optical out since it is outdated compared with HDMI. If you must have optical you can consider getting an HDMI>Optical adapter that captures the audio but passes through the video, so you can use the screen and your own speakers.
@JackP,

What really helps is start by listing what Apps you will using and what sort of content you will be feeding into Kodi.
If you need Amazon Video for example then its going to have to be Amazon devices if on a budget.

That narrows the Hardware choices a lot them...

The best budget Kodi only (no Apps / Android) - is an AMLogic S905 device running LibreELEC Kodi and then a HDMI > Optical Audio extractor.

Need Android TV Apps (Minus Amazon Video) & a bit of Kodi then as @Gorbulan said get a Mi Box - as it has Optical built into its combo 3.5mm headphone jack. Its very much an Appliance streaming device with a really excellent Wireless remote.

(2017-03-09, 18:50)wrxtasy Wrote: as it has Optical built into its combo 3.5mm headphone jack.

I was unaware of this. Thank you.
Thanks for your reply guys.

Spent all weekend looking into these devices - I am almost ready to go with the Mi Box but cant find an answer to a few questions regarding audio.

1. I see several references to 'AV: SPDIF Out / 3.5mm audio output' including on the Xiaomi site. Some sites/posts talk about it being optical others imply that it is non-optical (ie coax with a different connector).

2. In looking for the answer to #1, I found this post which says that the 'optical output' does not support 5.1 surround. Is this true? So if I end up using this in no-analog mode the output is just 2 channel stereo anyway?

Maybe @wrxtasy or someone else knows the answer to these questions and what passive adapter cable (not converter) to use.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on choosing hardware after reading 'Start Here' post0