Cache settings in advancedsettings.xml appear not to work
RPi2, Libreelec 8.01

While watching content from the internet I get off and on the new form of buffering. A few versions of Kodi (XBMC) back it used to properly stop playing and wait till the buffer was filled up again and then continue playing. But with the more recent versions of Kodi I see often that the video playback goes into some kind of slow motion and the sound disappears.To reduce this I have tried to set a larger buffer size. I have created the file /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml and put the following text in it:

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>0</buffermode>
<memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
<readfactor>10</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

However, if I check the network usage when I start playing video via internet in a add-on, then I do not see at the start increased data transfer to fill up the cache. It appears to be the same as without the settings in advancedsettings.xml. Any idea what I am missing to enable the cache settings?

Should the setting in advancedsettings.xml have effect on video playback in a add-on (Uitzendinggemist (NPO)) or will the add-on override the settings?
I'm using a Odroid-C2. How can you tell if your settings are being used in the advancedsettings.xml, I'd like to know if my increased memory size is being utilized
(2017-03-26, 09:28)ErikBrown Wrote: RPi2, Libreelec 8.01

While watching content from the internet I get off and on the new form of buffering. A few versions of Kodi (XBMC) back it used to properly stop playing and wait till the buffer was filled up again and then continue playing. But with the more recent versions of Kodi I see often that the video playback goes into some kind of slow motion and the sound disappears.To reduce this I have tried to set a larger buffer size. I have created the file /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml and put the following text in it:

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>0</buffermode>
<memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
<readfactor>10</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

However, if I check the network usage when I start playing video via internet in a add-on, then I do not see at the start increased data transfer to fill up the cache. It appears to be the same as without the settings in advancedsettings.xml. Any idea what I am missing to enable the cache settings?

Should the setting in advancedsettings.xml have effect on video playback in a add-on (Uitzendinggemist (NPO)) or will the add-on override the settings?
 Was this ever resolved?  I have the same issue.  I have a temperamental internet connection with family usage, and streaming BBC iPlayer/Youtube etc can lead to buffering regularly throughout a program.  I tried the information provided in the Kodi Wiki (https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache) trying every combination shown, but it has no effect at all to the buffering.  Logs show the advancedsettings.xml file is being read without error. 

As many people use this successfully I'm wondering if this is a Windows specific issue?  The buffer on Kodi is tiny and a major problem for me with such an overused connection!
I'm here to report that on Windows 10 Pro x64 and Kodi 18.1 x64 I'm seeing the exact same behavior as Single Entity is reporting above. That is, cache settings having absolutely no effect on video caching. It's easy to check as Kodi RAM usage does not move at all, even with huge cache settings.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cache settings in advancedsettings.xml appear not to work0