Req Multiple Artists and Hidden Artists
@Prospero1980 this is already covered. In v17 you can create you own Album (release) type nodes, either as "albums" type smart playlists or as filter type custom nodes that you put in your menu wherever you like.

Either use the TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE (ID3), MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE (APE) , MusicBrainz/Album Type(ASF), RELEASETYPE (Ogg/Vorbis/Flac) tags in your music files
or
load using <album type> xml tag in album.NFO files

Them make smart playlists with album type rules, for example
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="albums">
    <name>Live Albums</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="type" operator="contains">
        <value>Live</value>
    </rule>
</smartplaylist>

or a custom node file like
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node order="200" type="filter">
<label>Bootleg</label>
<icon>DefaultMusicGenres.png</icon>
<content>albums</content>
    <rule field="type" operator="contains">
        <value>Bootleg</value>
    </rule>
</node>

Or use album type in the filter from the side blade, on any albums node.

Album type has been available since v15 as a playlist rule, but it was rarely populated from NFO files. So in v17 I simply added the ability to populate it using the MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE/RELEASETYPE tag from music files. Another way for users to categorise, and navigate their music.
Ok, I didnt see that there is this new "menu Editor". But that doesnt seem to help me.

I can also create such nodes like you told me above but they never show something.

And slowly I think I understand where the problem is. Kodi doesent only use normal Id3vX Tags at all but uses MusicBrainz.Tags instead. Are these custom tags? How do I use them? Ist there a Table anywhere wich Tags and theire syntax are used by Kodi?
Ok, now I got it. I read about Musicbrainz and have succesfully integratet these tags in my "Helium Music Manager 11.5"

Now I just have to copy automaticly all my normal releasetypetaggs to my custom Muicbrainz tags.
Is this the latest table of Kodi Tags, especialy for id3, or are there som new?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging
(2017-04-03, 22:14)Prospero1980 Wrote: Kodi doesn't only use normal Id3vX Tags at all but uses MusicBrainzTags instead. Are these custom tags? How do I use them? Ist there a Table anywhere which Tags and their syntax are used by Kodi?
Kodi does use standard ID3 tags (although not absolutely all of them e.g. BPM), and additionally some Muiscbainz id tags. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#Tags_Kodi_reads

(2017-04-03, 23:17)Prospero1980 Wrote: Now I just have to copy automatically all my normal releasetype tags to my custom Muicbrainz tags.
"Releasetype" is not part of the ID3 standard, so there is no "normal" tag any kind of album/release type tags are custom. Kodi uses the custom tag naming provided by Picard, a common tagging tool that provides Musicbrainz lookup by default.

(2017-04-04, 07:29)Prospero1980 Wrote: Is this the latest table of Kodi Tags, especialy for id3, or are there some new?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging
http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#Tags_Kodi_reads is pretty clear what version of Kodi it applies to, see the first column.
The problem exposed by Prospero1980 was the same for me. I partially solved this using "Search". For example: when you type Eric Clapton in "Search" you will obtain all the albums when he was present as artist or album artist (if you tagged the music before accordingly with Musicbrainz - personally I use Musicbrainz Picard). Prospero 1980 is right: before Kodi 17, "Artists" tab returned in this way.
I would just like to affirm that the same is a problem for me. Enabling "Show song and album artists" in my case creates a sea of relatively unimportant artists, since I normally tag all the players in a band etc. (Please note that the MP3 standard allows several "Artist" tags per file, so you can, for example, enter "Eric Clapton", "Ginger Baker" and "Jack Bruce" as three "Artists" for an album that has "Cream" for the "Album Artist".)
The way it was before (like Prospero1980 explained) worked much better for me. As soon as an artist was the "Album Artist" at least once, when you chose his name from the list, you got ALL the albums he contributed to - both the ones where he was the "Album Artist" and those where he was just "Artist".
This worked especially well for jazz, where you have often only a few albums released by someone as the leader (therefore the "Album Artist"), but the same musician importantly contributes to other albums released under leadership of other "Album Artist". For example: John Coltrane played on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, but then also released a bunch of his own seminal albums. In earlier versions of Kodi, I could see under "John Coltrane" all the albums where he was present, either as the titular leader or as a sideman. Now I can only see the albums issued under his leadership. This is a great disadvantage, so I would, too, ask you to revert back to the old functionality.
(2017-03-31, 15:45)DaveBlake Wrote: The change in v17 was that the albumartist only flag is now applied to both the artists node, and then to the albums node for that artist. When only the album artists are shown on the artists node, then only their albums (and not those where they are on a song or two) are show when you navigate down. Some people asked for this, but I know not everyone is happy.

I wish to add my voice to those before me who are disappointed to have lost a feature that I used extensively.
While I understand the reasoning for the change, breaking features in order to achieve that is quite disappointing. Ideally there would have been a split of options ("show/hide song artists" "show/hide when album artists contribute to other albums"), but what happened instead a bit upsetting. I have over 100k tracks that I have tagged with this behavior in mind, so to see it disappear like that, is not pleasing at all.
Of course some people were not happy with the way it was, but in the meantime, others like us were perfectly fine, and you usually do not hear about them (I don't visit the forums if I don't have any issues).

That said, I understand that you're the one making choices, and that while not ideal, it may have been the only course of action. I also appreciate a number of other changes that you have implemented. So here's hoping that our request for having this feature back will be bumped a little bit ahead of others Blush
I do not think your hard work tagging your music collection is wasted.
The music library had been neglected for some time, and now we have a developer bringing it back to speed. As a result of that, some steps backward are sometimes needed, in order to run forwards later.

It is perfectly possible that the music library might be enhanced to include additional options as you have suggested - but we will all need patience with the developer. There is so much stuff that the music library cannot handle well right now (EP's, Singles etc).

In your particular instance, I believe you should be able to achieve the same functionality as previously using a custom node to collate albums that also 'feature' an artist, but I am currently away from any Kodi system so cannot try this for myself. I too tag over 200K songs many with contributing artists - you are definitely not alone.
Well I would hope so Smile

Let's be clear, I am not mad at all at anybody, and as I said I am grateful for the work done. That said, there is a difference between feature requests and regressions. I have been using Kodi since probably around the Camelot release, and that stuff has always worked in that way. Those who wanted to not see the contributions wanted a new feature. I just want to not have stuff removed from me. I don't know if in this case it would have been possible to add the option without removing what existed (even temporarily), but I have been involved in enough product development to know that feature regressions are generally frowned upon. And so far, Dave's explanation was simply that some were asking for it, even if others were not happy, not that it was a technical necessity.

To show that I have faith in what's to come, back maybe 10 years ago, I made the decision to add tags like Original year, Original Artist, Conductor, etc... even if no software at that time was making any use of it. So I am very happy to see it arrive in Kodi, and I am confident that there will be a way to retrieve the old behavior, and that's why I'm speaking up, lest people think no one wants it Smile

I have looked a bit into nodes, but so far, have not found a way to emulate this, so if someone has any idea...
Following up a while later...
Has anyone managed to make this happen as a custom node? I have tried multiple times, but I can never see albums where an Album Artist has a contribution as a single artist, without having to display all singe artists too. Let's say David Bowie on Queen's Hot Space, or Simple Minds contribution to the Breakfast Club Soundtrack (which isn't on any regular album), or...

This used to work pretty much from the first versions (way back when it was still xbmc), and it went away without a replacement nor a warning, simply because the way compilations (which are only partly related, as the examples above show) were handled was admittedly sub-par.
(2017-11-28, 20:27)titoclo Wrote: Following up a while later...
Has anyone managed to make this happen as a custom node? I have tried multiple times, but I can never see albums where an Album Artist has a contribution as a single artist, without having to display all singe artists too. Let's say David Bowie on Queen's Hot Space, or Simple Minds contribution to the Breakfast Club Soundtrack (which isn't on any regular album), or...

This used to work pretty much from the first versions (way back when it was still xbmc), and it went away without a replacement nor a warning, simply because the way compilations (which are only partly related, as the examples above show) were handled was admittedly sub-par.
I am not a programmer. I don't know about nodes and so on.
I suppose the issue comes from the confusion between Artist and Album Artist. 
As everybody know the music (songs) should be tagged before. One of Kodi proposal is that tagging should be in accordance with MusicBraintz. Personally I use MusicBraintz application - Picard. Analysing the tags resulted from Picard, besides the title, album, year, etc. there is Artist tag and Album Artist tag. These last two are together with Artist ID and Album Artist ID. Each Artist has a unique ID. 
The Album Artist is the name of the Artist that assume the Album. Of course the Artist is most of the time also the Artist (performer). Some time songs has also other artists featuring aside the Album Artist. In this case Artist tag has multiple values (names). The same with Artist ID. 
After scan all tags are incorporated in Kodi music database.
In the previously versions command Artists from Music tab returned the list of Artists. Clicking the name of the Artist returned the Albums where he/she was present main or guest.
Now the same command returns the list of Album Artist. Clicking the name of the Artist returns the Albums where he/she was present as main. The fact this is the topic.
But there is an escape.
When you "search", if you type the name of the desired Artist, the return is the same as in previously Kodi version. The return is in accordance with tagged Artist not with Album Artist.
For example: Type David Bowie. The return is with every Album from your Kodi music database where David Bowie was present. That means the list of the Albums contains also "Greatest Hits II" where Album Artist is Queen. Opening this album you can see there is only one song inside: track 2 - Under Pressure where, if my tag is correct, Queen & David Bowie sing.
This was the only way I found to simulate previous behavior.
In future version I hope that this issue will be solved. One solution could be to have two different buttons in Music tab: Artists and Album Artists. Each one should return with tags accordingly.
Hope that my note will be helpful.
Thanks, but search won't do. I would like to have everything back as it had always been, ie to be able to see all contributions of all Album Artists, including on albums other than their own. Users like me have invested a lot of time in having the tags filed correctly (~200k songs currently), only to have this effort canceled simply with a remark like "Some people asked for this, but I know not everyone is happy". Well, sure we're not happy!
As said before, I still have faith and continue tagging my files as if this still works, but without any info on whether there is even just a plan to bring this back, I don't know if I'm being too optmistic... If it doesn't make it to the next version, then it's more year of frustration (again, I do make a difference between feature requests (which may take as long as needed) and regressions (which should imo be fixed as soon as reasonably possible). This one used to work, so it's a regression for me.
(2017-11-29, 22:07)titoclo Wrote: ...be able to see all contributions of all Album Artists, including on albums other than their own. 
I know this is an old thread but I can't find a more recent solution. Is there a solution for this as I want this also. For example, I have Stevie Nicks' greatest hits album but I also want to see the tracks that she sings on other "various artists" albums I have. I know search works but it is very laborious when using my media player... :-( Help?
(2020-04-19, 06:41)Krumlov Wrote:
(2017-11-29, 22:07)titoclo Wrote: ...be able to see all contributions of all Album Artists, including on albums other than their own. 
I know this is an old thread but I can't find a more recent solution. Is there a solution for this as I want this also. For example, I have Stevie Nicks' greatest hits album but I also want to see the tracks that she sings on other "various artists" albums I have. I know search works but it is very laborious when using my media player... :-( Help? 
Go to Settings / Media / Music - and switch on the Flag "Show Songs and album artists"
That's the only way to go.
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple Artists and Hidden Artists0