Building media server for home. Need advice
Again, until we don't know what actually he needs, we can't recommend anything. The price of this rig will be quite high, maybe worth to take a look at a 5 or 8 bay NAS from Synology or other reliable company.

For pure media storage and streaming (without transcoding and VM), even an Intel N3150 (or newer) SoC would do the job perfectly fine, with 4-8GB RAM, still low power. Just get a board version with as much as possible SATA 3 ports (SuperMicro has great boards), and you can also add SATA/RAID controllers to the PCIe slots. Try to find a PSU that is close to the full power requirements of the whole rig to make it as energy efficient as possible.
I'm looking into a simple 2bay synology with couple 5400 wd red 4tb drives in it. Am I missing something here? I want the files to be local and plan to access kodi remotely via ftp or something. To me, the storage is nothing more than an external hard drive connected through the network. That size would fit my needs, should I be looking for something with more power?
I love when everyone says that is way overpowered, when they don't know what the OP is going to use it for initially, or what they might want to use it for in the future. So for all you "Way Overpowered" people, consider the following...

1. Plex (or other) transcoding.
2. Docker or other Add-On's (VM's, Emby, etc)
3. Games (using RetroPlayer in Kodi 18).
4. How many devices may be streaming from the server at once.
5. Future proofing.

For some of us, speed matters. I would never buy slow hard drives (especially Archive drives) to run on my Server. For me, only 7200RPM drives are used. Why you may ask? Because I have a huge library, and every second counts, and I don't want it to be annoying having to wait for slow drives. Hell, when I can get a somewhat affordable 16TB SSD drive, I will be replacing said 7200RPM drives. 8)
The original poster said he wanted something to serve files. That is the requirement that causes us to say "Overkill". If the requirement included transcoding or docker the answer would be different, but the requirement is simple and the answer is a lot simpler than the proposed build.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nope, he actually said "Multi-Media Server"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_server

"By definition a media server is a device that simply stores and shares media. This definition is vague, and can allow several different devices to be called Media Servers. It may be a simple Network-attached storage, a Home theater PC (HTPC) running Windows XP Media Center Edition, MediaPortal or MythTV, or a commercial web server that hosts media for a large web site. In a home setting, a media server acts as an aggregator of information: video, audio, photos, books, etc."
Touchee. I think what this thread really needs is for the op to define what he actually intends.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building media server for home. Need advice0