Linux Keep getting broken dependencies
Hi all, I use Ubuntu 16.04.
I recently tried to upgrade from kodi 16.1 to the latest 17. krypton. I followed the upgrade procedure "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppabut" and then "sudo apt update" then "sudo apy install kodi" Something obviously went wrong because I ended up with kodi 18 alpha. I tried to remove it "sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:team-xbmc/ppa" and then tried to reinstall Kodi. But this time I ended up with

"The following packages have unmet dependencies.
kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:16.1~git20160425.1001-final-0xenial) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kodi-bin (< 2:16.1~git20160425.1001-final-0xenial.1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."
i tried "sudo apt-get install -f" and "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt install kodi" But I still get unmet dependencies.

I have since learned that version 18 of Kodi is a "nightly" version. I am not aware of trying to install it but it seems that this could be the source of my problem.
If someone could please assist me in getting back to kodi 16 or the upgrade 17, I will be most grateful. Many thanks.
apt policy kodi kodi-bin | pastebinit
Good day to you. Please see results below.

"apt policy kodi kodi-bin | pastebinit

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/24359045/

Then did update and sudo apt install kodi.

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:16.1~git20160425.1001-final-0xenial) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kodi-bin (< 2:16.1~git20160425.1001-final-0xenial.1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
bryan@dave-X200:~$

Question: If the nightly kodi 18 was inadvertently installed. What would be the command to remove it completely? There seems to be very little written about the kodi 18 alpha version. Thank you.
I noticed that you refereed to three urls, one relates to nightly! Is there a removal for this nightly site?
you don't have a nightly version installed, infact you don't have any kodi version installed.
Neither do you have the correct PPA for v17.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -y -r ppa:team-xbmc/kodi-old
sudo apt remove -y kodi*
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install kodi
Good day wsnipex,
Many thanks to you and all those who have gone out of their way to help me. Special thanks to the administrator who pointed out a serious security problem which has been rectified.
Your Code
sudo add-apt-repository -y -r ppa:team-xbmc/kodi-old
sudo apt remove -y kodi*
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install kodi

Solved my problems. I am sure that this will also help many other users who encounter the same problem.
Kind regards to all.
roanantelope.Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keep getting broken dependencies0