Starting XBMC with Apple Remote
Mediacentral is a proprietary app, I doubt that they'd help out an open-source app that is the competition.
fall-line Wrote:I have setup remote buddy on my system to map all of the apple remote button options to items for use within XBMC

Hi -- I have Remote Buddy, and have tried this - can you give me details on how you did this?

Cheers,
riise_hansen
riise_hansen Wrote:Hi -- I have Remote Buddy, and have tried this - can you give me details on how you did this?

This was done using remote buddy's virtual keyboard feature to map button presses on the apple remote to keyboard key presses, which coresponded to keys defined in the XBMC keymap. To be clear though, this was something I did before XBMC 0.1.4 was released which included native apple remote support. I haven't used remote buddy for my XBMC since then, but I have considered using it again in a method similar to that which is described here:
http://funwithcomputers.wordpress.com/20...n-ir-port/

I hope this helps.
Yes - the support came in 0.1.4 - but Remote Buddy seems to "occupy" the IR port, since the Apple Remote works when Remote Buddy isn't running... but of course I could map the keyboard events on the Apple Remote - I simply didn't think of that.

In reality: Once the setup of XBMC is complete you really don't need all the keystrokes and the 6x2 clicks the Apple Remote provides should be sufficient (I would think).

Thanks!
riise_hansen Wrote:In reality: Once the setup of XBMC is complete you really don't need all the keystrokes and the 6x2 clicks the Apple Remote provides should be sufficient (I would think).
I don't think it will unless you don't mind having to repeatedly press up and down to go through lists, its much easier to hold the button up/down to scroll through a list in XBMC so mapping the hold state will not work in this case. That means you are down a couple of buttons before you even start...
Actually for me the apple remote in its current state is enough to function for me. XBMC is used to take 2 minutes to choose my movie and 2 hours to watch it. While having 50 buttons to accomplish this would be fun, 12 is just fine. Also note that the apple remote is a 6x2 remote, holding a button is different then just pressing it. So future releases will probably include support for holding the buttons down for FF/fast scrolling.
_tv_ Wrote:I replaced frontrow app with renamed xbmc app, also needed to change binarys name to Front Row inside bundle.(also kill front row if it's running) I got it launch with apple+esc and so on, but... launchd doesnt really get right exit signal from xbmc so it will lauch it again just after it exits. We need some kind of wrapper to this but I really don't know how lauchd works.

I've made a simple wrapper to try this.. I replace Frontrow (in /System/Library/CoreServices , the one in apps seems to be dummy ) and can now set my own returnvalue... but I've got no idea what it should be 'cause right now it just keeps re-starting XBMC.

I'm kind of new to OSX, so I need to figure out how to start and exit the real frontrow once and read the return/exitcode. Any ideas ?
This feature is coming, just testing it locally now.

-elan
* ChoccyHobNob ticks off the last missing 'essential' feature and prepares to donate some beer money :-)
actually it´s so easy! at least on a mac.. I don´t know about the AppleTV.

Just an applescript is needed... i give you on real quick... can´t test it right now.. but tell me what you think:

repeat
tell application "System Events"
if exists process "Front Row" then
tell application "Front Row" to quit
tell application "XBMC"
launch
end tell
end repeat

This script checks if Frontrow is running.. what happens when you press the menu button of the remote. And if so, it quits and launches XBMC :-D
I am not an expert on Applescript. How can I make this script run, or do I need to install it somewhere?
I have figured out everything else I've needed to but still can't figure out this one stupid thing. I'll be in XBMC (apple remote mode normal and always on) and the apple remote's Menu option launches Front Row. Every time!

I don't want to just delete the Core Service. What am I missing!? Smile
nevermind, figured it out. apparently "always on" has to be off. Tongue

could somebody explain what the purpose of that pref is?
So you got it working? Could you post a walkthrough? Smile
In XBMC System Prefs turn Apple Remote feature "Always On" off.

Ta-da! I actually found this answer in another thread in these forums.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting XBMC with Apple Remote0