Which Mac for 1080p-Playback?
achoke Wrote:Thanks for the input. I am still leaning towards a mini. I just wish they would come down in price. Does anybody know of any good rumors flying around about a price drop soon. I'm sure they are seeing an increase in sales with osxbmc taking off.

Next month you'll know for sure:

lower priced, higher spec'd minis
Mini Pro (finally)
Discontinued Mini's

Who knows.
renegade Wrote:Why would you miss cut, copy, and paste? OSX has them. Just set it up in mouse preferences. Just set you right button(or whichever button you desire) as "secondary button".

Kinda out of topic, but just to answer your question, I'm specifically referring to "cut and paste". To cut a file / group of files in Windows XP and paste it three levels up, you simply highlight / select the files and press:

backspace
backspace
backspace
ctrl-V
(total time: less than 2 seconds)

In OSX, there's a myriad of ways to do this, but not a single one will beat the time it takes to accomplish this under Windows. Being a heavy keyboard shortcut user, this is a minor pain for me.

There's no "cut" command under OSX. Drag maybe, but specifically CUT, none. Filecutter probably doesn't work with Leopard anymore, or even if it does, it just takes too many clicks and unnecessary opening / maneuvering through the file system.
sorry, forgot CTRL-X before the first backspace
Is that a joke, Fonso?
'Cut' is simply Option-x (that's the button with the apple symbol on it, , followed by the letter 'x'). Paste is then option-v. Copy is option-c. Get the drift?

In general, shortcuts you use in windows with the Ctrl key, are done with the option key is OSX.

Back to the issue of HD content from a Mini. Have people had trouble with the DVI to HDMI cables? I heard some don't play nicely with all screens/TVs.
That works for text, but not for files. Unless something changed in Leopard.

What he's referring to is that Windows allows to to select, cut, and paste a file from one location to another. Thus deleting the file in one location while moving it to the new location at the same time.

One a Mac when you select, cut, paste it actually copies and not cuts. Thus it leaves the file in the first location and makes a second copy in the second location. This means you have to then take another step and delete the file in the first location. This is further complicated on a Mac by the fact this if the file "move" is from one folder to another in the same drive it DOES delete the file at the first location, but if they're on different drives it leaves the file at the first location. I never understood why it was done this way unless Microsoft has a patent on it or something.

In any case this is real off topic and this thread should be moved or closed.

=)
d00f Wrote:Now I'm curious.
I got a MacBook 2.2Ghz 2GB late last year and while XBMC has made it possible to play 1080p very, very well, I still see stutters at specific places in specific mkv's. It's repeatable. I'm not sure how then a 1.8Ghz machine can play these files flawlessly like some posters have said....

Just to give my feedback concerning 720p and 1080p playback. I got a MacMini 1.83Ghz 2GB, XBMC is playing well 720p streams (There are no dropped frames when I displayed the OSD Info status by typing I) nevertheless I can see stutters at specific places as well (especially with travelling scenes). For 1080p streams, there are some skipped frames (not always noticeable on the screen, but the info status gives dropped frame) as for 720p I can see stutters at specific places.

From my experience, stutters is not link to XBMC, I have the same behaviour with VLC or QuickTime. According to me, there is also a link with the type of display the Mac Mini is connected but I didn't solved the problem.
The Mac Mini is connected to a Pioneer Plasma 507XD via the VGA connector. I have the native resolution of the screen (1365*768@60Hz).

I would be very interesting to have feedback from other users concerning these stutters
slak14 Wrote:I would be very interesting to have feedback from other users concerning these stutters

Maybe 24p-stutters? Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Mac for 1080p-Playback?0